Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 14:39   #1

Mysterious exhaust parts need to identify

Hi everyone. I have an Allied Princess Ketch 36ft with a westerbeke 4 107 engine. Can anyone identify and tell me it's function of a great big shiny cylinder, and whether the hose attached to it can be removed. I have tried, an experienced boat mechanic has never come across such a design.

I'm am just starting to know parts my engine parts and their function, etc so please don't jump down my throat!!

I discovered the very bad corrosion on the outer hose and decided to tackle the issue. However I soon called for help from a very good mechanic, who after twisting his body to get a good look at the hose. He recommended that I research and or look at replacing it with a water lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_113026.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	240536   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210618_170850.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	240537  

Name:	20210618_170815.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	240538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210618_170854.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	240539  

Name:	20210516_112923.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	240540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210618_170839.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	240541  

taz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 15:39   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Mysterious exhaust parts need to identify

I think I see what’s going on here........ but you’re a terrible photographer[emoji846]

If I’ve got the right

The exhaust leaves the engine through the metallic pipe inside of the badly rusted hose

The exhaust enters the large stainless cylinder

The exhaust leaves the cylinder through rubber hose to the overboard discharge.

Between the engine and the stainless cylinder the seawater is routed through the annular region of the rusted hose and the stainless flex pipe.

Then the seawater leaves the annular region where it mixes with the exhaust in the stainless cylinder and is carried overboard with the exhaust gas.

If I’ve got it right, you’ve got a plumbing project to make a normal exhaust system, that while expensive is less so than rebuilding this Frankenstein mess.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:29   #3

You have it right, I am not sure where to start since an experienced marine mechanic barely had an idea.

This is all new to me, I have looked on YouTube to see if there is any videos on how to fix or remove and none, zone..

Any ideas
Inexperienced sailor/mechanic
Old 18-06-2021, 16:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The short of it is that you may not need all of this. Possibly the function was to isolate noise and reduce exhaust line heat. Pretty clever but overkill in place of a mixing ell.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:41   #5

How can I simplify the system?
Novice sailor/ novice mechanic
Old 18-06-2021, 16:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz2 View Post
You have it right, I am not sure where to start since an experienced marine mechanic barely had an idea.

This is all new to me, I have looked on YouTube to see if there is any videos on how to fix or remove and none, zone..

Any ideas

If this experienced mechanic couldn’t figure this out they’re not that experienced.

What you’d really best aim for is something like this

Name:	IMG_1624059866.845399.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	240544
Old 18-06-2021, 17:03   #7

Excuse my ignorance I notice Yanmar, I have a 4 107 westerbeke in which space is limited to say the least.

Would it be safe to say the gooseneck would be where the cylinder currently sits? And the waterlock, close to engine as in the picture? It's going to be tricky to say the least. The waterlock, metal or plastic, any particular brand?
Novice sailor/novice mechanic
Old 18-06-2021, 17:33   #8

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Check out Vetus ,lots if useful lmfo for the customer to use for a lot of different scenarios ,for different installations all proven .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:45   #9

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance I notice Yanmar, I have a 4 107 westerbeke in which space is limited to say the least.

Would it be safe to say the gooseneck would be where the cylinder currently sits? And the waterlock, close to engine as in the picture? It's going to be tricky to say the least. The waterlock, metal or plastic, any particular brand?

Yammer, westerbeke, whatever it’s just an engine.

I managed to fit the required stuff into my Allied seawind II, you’ll have plenty of room.

I left the engine with a mixing elbow of stainless pipe riser with bronze pipe mixing elbow then down to a vetus water lock just adjacent to the shaft, followed by the hose making the gooseneck t the transom.
Old 18-06-2021, 18:17   #10

Quote:

Any ideas

Hi Taz2
That’s a very interesting exhaust system, the shabby looking rubber hose is actually the outer shell of a water jacket and the inner woven stainless steel hose is the exhaust pipe and is probably a long convoluted stainless steel bellows wrapped in the woven jacket..... this is a common type of hose in industry, rarely seen on pleasure craft. I’m not sure I’d trust this setup given that a failure of the water jacketed bellows would have unknown consequences..... maybe none or maybe a flooded engine. I would speculate that the big stainless steel receiver is dry and acts as an expansion chamber muffler while the cooling water is piped overboard via a small thru hull fitting above the waterline. If you ever see water coming out of the big exhaust outlet it means trouble in the bellows
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:20   #11

Thank you, can you give me a rough estimate of the materials I will need if I go your route please?
Old 18-06-2021, 18:24   #12

That's quite reassuring to know, how do I go about simpfying the system as I am unable to continue use the engine as it is. I turned the engine on and yes water started to rise from the outer shell!!
Old 18-06-2021, 19:01   #13

If it works the way I think it does, it’s actually a pretty good system with no need of a vent loop (I would add one) and the dry exhaust means that the humid acidic swamp.... waterlock.... is not there to corrode the cylinders with open exhaust valves or the turbo scroll outlet.
Old 19-06-2021, 09:44   #14

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:

Yup, vetus site has a lot of options
for upright water lift mufflers, as well close quarters fits.
https://www.vetus.com/en/exhaust-systems.html
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 12:13   #15

Quote:
Thank you, can you give me a rough estimate of the materials I will need if I go your route please?

If you follow either of the two excellent exhaust schematics posted earlier you will need a 2”- 2 1/2”mixer elbow to suit the exhaust manifold, probably from “parts4 engines” UK , a waterlock/ aqualock from Centek or a Vetus NLP aqualock ( very adjustable), a vent loop( siphon break) and a lot of exhaust hose and clamps. You won’t probably get out of this for less than a thousand dollars ( possibly a lot more if you use silicone hoses and a mechanic)

If the outer hose on your existing system could be replaced and the integrity of the inner stainless bellows verified I think restoring the original system is definitely a good option, it’s simple and it works but the restoration cost might match the complete new system cost???
Pete.

Tags
exhaust, parts