Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 21:28   #1

Boat: Manta 40
Identify this Exhaust Elbow? (Match or Fabricate Replacement)

This is off a homebrew genset having a marinized Kubota Z482 with mostly Beta Marine parts, but I can't figure out where the elbow came from. The installation doesn't have room for a regular Beta Marine or Next Generation elbow as there is a bulkhead in the way. The previous owner/installer somehow found this elbow which barely fits in the space allowed.

The elbow is cast aluminum with about an 80 degree bend. It has some sort of temperature sensor port. The outer diameter is 1 3/4", the water injection port is 3/4". The flange is square with the bolt centers 2" x 2" apart. Its about 6" long.

If anyone can identify this I would be very grateful. I got a quote to fabricate a replacement out of stainless steel and iconel at a cost of $500. If anyone knows a good marine exhaust fabricator that might be cheaper, I'd appreciate that info too.

Kevin

ksalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 23:46   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Hi Kevin,
Did you want to go with stainless, or aluminum? Can you tell me about the flange bolted on the side of the elbow? What is the I.D. of the pipes?
Old 26-06-2009, 07:32   #3

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
Sorry can't identify it. For custom I had good luck with Broomfield's Marine Exhaust, Inc in Seattle (long way from Puerto Rico I know). Phone number is 1-800-994-9267 and they have a web site www.broomsfields.com No clue if they would be any cheaper or not, but IMHO they do good work.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 07:59   #4

Thanks for the replies.

If I have a replacement fabricated I would go with stainless. The flange on the side of the elbow is a temperature switch, it isn't used and the replacement wouldn't need it. The inner diameter of the pipe is 1.25", wall is .25"

I'm actually in Arizona right now and have the elbow with me. I'm hoping to find a replacement (or someone to make one) before I head back to the boat in Nov.
Old 26-06-2009, 08:21   #5

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
I thought it was common knowledge to not use stainless on any exhaust components. Diesel exhaust has sulfuric acid component that eats welds. Case in point my Volvo diesel muffler I bought from dealer for $200.00 back in early 80s.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 08:52   #6

Boat: Sceptre 36
About 5 years ago I made one very similar using stock galvanized plumbing fittings and brazed on a bronze nipple for the water injector - still going strong and it cost about $20.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 08:57   #7

I'm certainly no metallurgist, but it appears all the marine exhaust fabricators use duplex stainless 316L for fabricating wet exhaust elbows. Some use an iconel 625 liner. These are reputable marine exhaust shops, so I guess they must have figured out how to do the welds.
Old 26-06-2009, 08:58   #8

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
It looks like the elbow that was on my 28 H.P. beta marine engine with the exception of the sending unit Call Stanley at 252 249 2473 If it is a Beta he will know the part number
Roscoe
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 09:57   #9

maybe buy the Beta and have it modified if necessary? It's true though, you can make exhaust elbows out of common plumbing parts!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 09:58   #10

I bought the closest thing Beta Marine sells (shown below). It is pretty close, but it protrudes from the heat exchanger about 2" further than the old one and unfortunately doesn't fit. Also the outlet OD is .25" bigger (I could deal with the OD difference if it fit otherwise.

I might go the galvanized pipe route if I can find a flange that will work.

Old 26-06-2009, 10:09   #11

Look under auto exhaust for someone who makes headers. I would think they could make you a stainless one pretty cheap. or buy 2 steel ones! Another option is to take the new aluminum one and see if a weld shop can cut a miter in it and weld it. some aluminum cast materials dont weld well though, but the shop ought to know....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 10:13   #12

Boat: Sceptre 36
The flange is also probably a stock plumbing part. Go to a good hardware store, you you be surprised at the stuff you can get, cheap.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 14:51   #13

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Kevin,

Phasor generators have a stainless exhaust elbow with the standard Kubota flange that is a horizontal orientation and can go right up close to a bulkhead. You might want to try them, although their parts tend to be pricey. $500 sounds like a lot for fabrication. You can make one up yourself as suggested out of pipe (I've done this on a Kubota and it works well), but try to use black pipe instead of galvanized. When heated, galvanized gives off some pretty bad fumes.

Where is your genset located on your boat? Ours is in the forward port locker and there is plenty of space to fit an exhaust elbow. Can your generator mounts be moved a bit to allow more room? Alignment isn't that important with a generator.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 15:30   #14

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Give Stan a call at Beta Marine on 252-249-2473 and ask about the SS Elbow for the Generators. That elbow does a tight 90 degree turn and will probably fit your installation. However it will not have the temperature sensor that your old elbow has.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 23:33   #15

Hey Mark,
I haven't seen another Manta with a genset install like ours, it is stuffed all the way up in the forepeak of the port locker. The whole thing is actually forward of the hatch opening. Sitting in the locker and facing the genset you are looking at the heat exchanger / oil filter side of the genset. On the left there's only a couple inches between the raw water pump and the hull, on the right there's only a couple inches between the main drive belt and the hull. There's a platform glassed in that the genset is mounted on and there are a pair of 2x4's glassed vertically on either side of the locker which a removeable partition attaches too. The partition keeps other gear in the locker from resting up against the genset. The 2x4 on the inboard wall is the issue. I could slide the genset aft to give the elbow room (ha, elbow room, get it?), but that would involve changes to all the engine mounts. It would be worth a couple hundred extra bucks to fabricate an elbow if it means I don't have to re-engineer anything.

I'll check the phasor elbows and revisit the beta marine/nextgen elbows before I fabricate anything. At one point I had a beta marine stainless elbow, but it was a 45 degree elbow and stuck out too far, same as the aluminum one pictured above. A 90 degree elbow might work though. Thanks guys.

Tags
elbow, exhaust