Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2020, 06:29   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Must Oil Filter Be Filled After Oil Change?

Pressure relief valve is in the pump. Differential pressure bypass valve is typically in the filter, although some engines have one built into the filter mount on the engine instead. And many filters have an anti-drainback valve so the filter remains full when the engine is shut down.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 06:30   #17

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
There have been arguments made that pre-filling the filter can introduce contaminants that bypass the filter (since you generally pour your fill oil in the "clean"side of the filter). CAT and Cummins have issued advisories against pre-filling. This is from the CAT C3 series manual:

These CATs have the oil fill on the sump itself, so if you introduce contamination during the fill it then goes to the filter. Those of us who pour the oil down through the engine don't get that same benefit.
Thanks. I can see the risks from contamination. I'm not sure which is the "clean side". I figured the hole in the middle, where I pour the new oil, is the intake, or "dirty" side.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 06:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If people are worried about a dry oil start, you can always spin the engine over without starting for a few seconds until the low oil pressure light extinguishes or the oil pressure gauge displays a decent pressure.

Usually a lot easier than filling the oil filter.
Yes, I like to do this as well. Especially if the engine has not been run in a while.
Old 16-04-2020, 06:35   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
Thanks. I can see the risks from contamination. I'm not sure which is the "clean side". I figured the hole in the middle, where I pour the new oil, is the intake, or "dirty" side.

Typically oil goes in through the small holes on the outside (which often have a rubber or silicone flap under them to prevent drain-back), then inwards through the filter element and flows out through the center hole.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 08:48   #20

I learn something everyday. Thanks!
Old 16-04-2020, 08:57   #21

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Studies have shown most bearing wear takes place at engine startup. Some engines, especially engines that have long inactive periods, have hydraulic accumulators to supply pressurized oil before actual startup to reduce startup wear. The longer an engine sits the more of the oil film is pushed out by the crank weight. Once pressurized the oil film is only .001"-.003".

If your new oil has debris in it you're buying the wrong oil.

Maybe Cat's recommendation is the reason Cat quit selling large truck engines.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:02   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If people are worried about a dry oil start, you can always spin the engine over without starting for a few seconds until the low oil pressure light extinguishes or the oil pressure gauge displays a decent pressure.

Usually a lot easier than filling the oil filter.
This is how to do it. For most engines you just crank while pushing the stop button
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:14   #23

How will you add oil to this oil filter before installation ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75960A47-4668-4052-BD65-03F413198F96.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	212989  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:16   #24

Smile Re: Must Oil Filter Be Filled After Oil Change?

As a retired dealer for most of the common marine diesel makes and with also an extensive motorsport background.
- Each application is different depending both on the installation and upon the engine model but in general, to obtain the maximum engine life etc. it is good practice to:
- Run the engine hot before an oil/filter(s) change.
- Especially with a turbocharged engine, after the oil/filter(s) change, if practicable, ensure that the engine lubrication system is full of oil prior to starting the engine. I prefer to have oil pressure indicated on a gauge or by the LOP light going out before actual start.
- Again, depending on the foregoing, this may often be accomplished by filling the oil filter(s) with fresh oil or by cranking the engine without start.
Cheers,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:25   #25

Yes and no. If you can do it without making a mess, go for it. Otherwise, my routine is to secure the filter, add the oil, and start the engine for five seconds or so and repeat the process two to three times. The most important point being . . . checking to make sure the oil pressure comes up to an acceptable level. Pretty simple. Remember, most parts already have oil residue on them and you engine doesn’t get hot right away. Good luck and happy sailing.
Hood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:43   #26

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

I just disconnect the "run" wire from the injection pump and turn the engine over for 15-20 seconds before starting. Given the high flow rate of diesel oil pumps, that's more than enough to put 1 qt or oil in the filter and ensures that only filtered oil ever reaches the engine.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 10:19   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
On some side mounted filters, they drain when shut. Not my Yanmar but so on my Toyota. Diesel vs gas. The compression ratio on diesels are very high compared to gas motors. More chance to spin a crank bearing on a diesel.
It shouldn’t, a filter made for sideways mount has an anti drain back valve just for that.
Not all filters come with an anti drain back valve but I believe that almost all do, that way a manufacturer can specify one filter for more vehicle uses.

The anti drain back valve is real easy to see, when you look at the small holes in a filter if your looking at a rubber sheet, that’s the anti drain back valve.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 10:26   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not all engines have a pressure relief valve as part of the pump, some have it as a separate component.
Ref most bearing wear occurs at start up, that’s an urban legend, if it were true then pre-lubbers would make an engine last for a very long time, and unfortunately they don’t. I wish they did cause if they did I’d fit one in a NY minute. Plus if it were true then hybrid cars would suffer premature bearing wear as many will spend up to a few minutes with the engine off and will cycle the engine on an off frequently, and they don’t suffer from premature bearing wear. A pre luber is a simple device and would be easy to fit on a Hybrid if it helped much.

If you want to spin a motor until it gets oil pressure, then you want to decompress the engine if possible, a Diesel of course usually has high compression and that loads the bearings
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 10:29   #29

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I pre-fill my main engine large oil filters. It's easy since they are vertical. My small generator filter is horizontal, so I don't fill that one. A large air bubble in the oil lines seems to risk damage.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 11:06   #30

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

There are very qualified people on this forum and there are as many different situations as there are a variety of engines and different installations. If you are able, it is a good idea to start an engine as close to idle as possible, gas or diesel. If the engine is blown or turbo or both, as can be the case, it is a good idea to pressurize the oil and distribute that through the engine, particularly the turbochargers before starting. The reason being obvious in that the very high speed of the turbo can damage the bearings if not lubricated. This is also true of other parts of the engine such as rod and main bearings, and the timing section and cam shafts. Just makes good sense to turn the engine over until you have near regular oil pressure reading and a little bit longer to make sure the oil gets to the distant parts that really need the oil. Most wear occurs at starting or at over stress or overheat. I have seen engines stressed to the point of turning the oil back into TAR... due in part to the application being for emergency evacuation or fire applications. Sacrifice for life. Prudent affection for your power and propulsion providers pays long term benefits. Fuel shut off device activation and crank it over!
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil change, oil filter