Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 20:15   #31

Boat: Catalina Capri 25
Re: mercury outboard wont start

The rag over air intake is a great idea. I push the meaty part of my palm on the carb throat for the same effect. As mentioned, it creates a seal, forcing gas through the fuel jets when you pull the starter cord. Pull slowly with the throttle low, and the motor is not like to start.

This certainly sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Cleaning the carb is usually the ticket, but sometimes if you can just get it to fire, and run it for a while with freshly mixed gas, the additives in the gas can break down the varnish deposits. Good luck.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 09:18   #32

Boat: Dartsailer 27; 27' Dutch Motorsailer

I second the person who said check that kill switch if it’s the “man overboard” split fork type. Wiggle it, spray it with electrical contact cleaner, and wiggle it lots more. They are notorious!

Bill Wilson
MVNightWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:46   #33

Many times after a outboard has sat for awhile, the float will stick. Tap bowl with a screwdriver handle and usually comes free. Always run gas out of outboard before storing as it goes bad.
le chat beaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 14:49   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
I have a 2015 3.5 and a 2016 6.0 Tohatsu. I run non-ethanol with Stabil and still have lots of trouble. Often hard to start, but not consistently. Often acting starved for fuel: will only run with choke half way out. I have disassembled and reassembled the carb re manual instructions, but I'm not sure I'm really getting at the problem. Any more suggestions?
Sounds like the carburetor is still dirty. Try running ethanol fuel …..and treat with stabil if you keep the gas over the Winter
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 20:29   #35

Boat: Still building

Can't believe no-one suggested checking the plug gap.....and grounding against block while turning over to check for spark.

Air. Fuel. Spark.

Not rocket science.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 04:36   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Can't believe no-one suggested checking the plug gap.....and grounding against block while turning over to check for spark.

Air. Fuel. Spark.

Not rocket science.
Right.

it's not rocket science if you understand engines but the OP is all about fouled plugs and starter fluid even though plugs don't usually get fouled on a four stroke.

Plug gap was mentioned on post#8.
Old 22-12-2018, 04:42   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
I have a 2015 3.5 and a 2016 6.0 Tohatsu. I run non-ethanol with Stabil and still have lots of trouble. Often hard to start, but not consistently. Often acting starved for fuel: will only run with choke half way out. I have disassembled and reassembled the carb re manual instructions, but I'm not sure I'm really getting at the problem. Any more suggestions?
Clean the carburetor like this video and that should fix your problem.

Old 22-12-2018, 16:22   #38

Boat: Still building

Ahh, I missed the post #8 ref to plug gap.

I am not at all mechanically minded, having three left thumbs, and almost invariably break anything I touch. Even picking up a spanner is often enough to break whatever I'm contemplating "repairing".

But I can usually manage to get my ancient Seagull motor to start. Fresh fuel, clean / gapped plug, choke the carb, and it almost invariably goes first or second pull.

I once had a set to like the OP when it wouldn't start one morning after having run faultlessly the day before - till I recalled the need to 'choke' the carb by hand on cold mornings. Went first pull after I tried that. Felt a right git, too. Proper 'Doh!' moment.

It's easy to get fixated, and sometimes stepping back and re-thinking can point to a previously less obvious solution. Helpfully, British Seagull's Owners Manual advises that if the motor hasn't started within f pulls, YOU have clearly done something wrong. So, don't balame themotor, go back over the process and start from the beginning. Air. Fuel. Spark.

Having said that, I concur with the consensus that carb cleaner would likely be of assistance in the case of the OPs Mercury. It only takes a wisp of a coating on the jet or needle to cause problems.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 17:41   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Clean the carburetor like this video and that should fix your problem.

I have to do this about as often as I fill up with gas on my 6hp Merc. Yet I have a 26 year old 6hp lawn mower with a Briggs and Straton that stills starts on the first or second pull and I've only changed the oil on it twice. Wonder if It's time to change the air filter?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 23:59   #40

Boat: Cal 2-46

One squirt of ether /starter stuff and a hard pull on full throttle not choke. If it doesn’t start it has to be electrical.

Remove the spark from the engine. Reconnect and get some else to hold the plug against the engine. Give it a good tug. If no spark get it to a marine shop.

Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 05:20   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 321, 33 feet

so in the end, the float valve was bad, replaced the carburetor, fuel filter and fuel pump
started right up

think the real key was the fuel filter, I had used gas station gas and not started the engine in months
I now carry extra fuel filters and will not use gas with ethanol

the good news if any is that I was able to do the repair myself
bimini blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 08:57   #42

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimini blue View Post
so in the end, the float valve was bad, replaced the carburetor, fuel filter and fuel pump

started right up

think the real key was the fuel filter, I had used gas station gas and not started the engine in months

Awesome news! Thanks for posting the results.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 03:00   #43

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Its unlikely there is actually anything wrong with the carb. Clean it properly and keep as a spare.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 04:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimini blue View Post
started right up

Glad you got it fixed!

And BTW, replacing the fuel filter is part of the yearly PM's.

And remember, it's fine to use gas station fuel …… with 10% ethanol, but if you plan to not use it for months mix in some stabilizer. I'll use the rest of this years gas in the Spring

Some folks mix in stabilizer if they think the fuel will be around for just one month to avoid potential problems

Btw, these engine were built to run on 10% ethanol
Old 31-12-2018, 04:17   #45

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Starting simple..... make sure the correct kill switch key is in place. It’s happened a couple times on my engine that the key will come out and the wrong one (thinner) gets put on.....( I still have the key ring with three on it from factory). It’s a duh moment.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercury, outboard