Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 11:47   #31

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Im in a bit of a pickle with heat exchanger

So after talking to very knowledgeable folks at American Diesel, looks like my initial thought of mounting it on the rear of the block is not gong to work because my exhaust manifold (NE90) is too low for heat exchanger to fit. Per their recommendation the lowest fabrication effort solution would be to get an NE135 heat exchanger and weld the brackets the way brackets were on my NE90 heat exchanger. He said that NE90 and NE135 have compatible side mount heat exchangers. they were both made by sendure.

On the other hand, buying one to mount on a bulkhead seems like way too many things could go wrong and with me being away I just don't want to leave that to chance.

For now I have managed to convince the welding shop to reopair the one i ahve and I ahve sent the welding shop two sendure 4" endcaps, and the guy at the welding shop will cut off the paper thin welded end and weld a new endcap.

Zincs were replaced in April of 2019 so i don't think that was an issue. I have also flushed the heat exchanger in June 2018.

For now this is fine and I will tackle it next summer when i'm back home at a dock and living on the boat.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger