Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2015, 18:05   #1

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Hurth kbw10 gearbox noise advice needed

Hello,
The Hurth KBW10 gearbox on my Yanmar 2qm15 is making a whining noise in forward gear. It does not make the noise in reverse.

When I first bought the boat the old oil in the gearbox was a light grey colour which suggests it was contaminated with water at some time. I flushed the box out several times with a mixture of auto fluid and kerosene and refilled/emptied several times with clean Dexron 111 fluid.

The ID plate on the side of my gearbox is very faded but I can just make out that is says use ATA-A. I've read the many posts regarding the confusion over which type of oil to use in this model gearbox and I opted to use Dexron 111 auto fluid which I think complies with the manufacturer's ATA-A fluid recommendation.

Some of the posts said that SAE 20-30 engine oil is also recommended and I am wondering if the whining noise I am getting is a result of the Dexron 111 being to thin for the job. Would SAE 20-30 oil help reduce the whining noise problem or would it be a bad move to use it in place of the auto fluid?

The Hurth lubrication topic has been discussed many times on the web but I would appreciate your advice regarding my particular case.

bony.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, gearbox, hurth, noise