Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2024, 20:38   #1

How to crank/operate starter motor, Perkins 4.236

Hi all!

I am prepping to do my first fuel filter change on my diesel Perkins 4.236 engine.

My question I am trying to solve is, how does one crank the engine/operate the starter motor (to bleed the high pressure lines) without/before starting the engine?

Thanks!
Robinkabobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 21:57   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: How to crank/operate starter motor, Perkins 4.236

I have that engine in my boat. I have got 2 locations for fuel filters, the first filter is a set of two, and on the engine have another one. All filters are vertical, with the lids on top, so I can replace the filters, and then fill the casing with diesel, replace the lids and re-connect the fuel lines, and then virtually always the engine starts after a few seconds, and runs smoothly again after approx. 10 seconds.

The other way I used is to open (crack) all 4 injectors, then use either fuelpump (the hand primer pump or an elec fuel pump for fuel polishing) until no air bubbles come out of the injectors anymore. Then re-tighten the injector, and engine will start instantly.

I never used the starter motor to bleed the fuel lines, but...... have used the starter motor while the injectors were removed from the block, to test compression. Be careful where the fuel is sprayed as chance of fire is very very great, and when your skin is close to one of the injectors, diesel will be sprayed into your skin (I am lead to believe), never had had happen to me. I tape small plastic/glass bottles on each injector.
Old 28-03-2024, 23:09   #3

Re: How to crank/operate starter motor, Perkins 4.236

On the starboard side of the engine should be a thumb-lever on the lift pump. You can use this to prime the engine. If the lever won't move, it's probably because the lobe the pump rides on is at top center so bump the starter.

I installed a small Walbro diesel pump to prime my fuel system. Much easier way to prime.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, perkins