Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 09:14   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Luhrs 32'
pirate Question regarding license required to operate a 210 GT motor yacht in the U.S.

Thanks for reading.

I'm looking for references, ideally in the form of federal regulations (CFRs), regarding the captain's license needed to operate a 210 GT power boat. Here's what I've found so far...

I called an ex USCG license issuer, Wayne, who now works for Sea School and asked him what license I need to operate this boat for PRIVATE use only. He informed me that once you're talking about a boat over 200 GT, the rules change and it NO LONGER MATTERS if the boat will be used for charter or private use. I clarified that even though the boat will solely be used for private purposes, I would need a 500 GT license, no exceptions.

I should have asked him if he knew or could find the CFR so that I could read it for myself because EVERYONE ELSE that I talk to is saying that Wayne is wrong.

Does anyone here have solid evidence of which license I would need in order to operate this 210 GT yacht for private use?
CaptaindeJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:36   #2

Re: Question regarding license required to operate a 210 GT motor yacht in the U.S.

I suggest you go to the "source" for info on CG license, USCG National Maritime Center at: https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/

Generally speaking 200 GT is the cutoff where above that tonnage manning (including licensing and credentialing of crew) requirements specified in 46 CFR Part 15 kick in. I would present your specific situation to the USCG NMC to determine what exactly is required for your vessel.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Luhrs 32'
Re: Question regarding license required to operate a 210 GT motor yacht in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post
I suggest you go to the "source" for info on CG license, USCG National Maritime Center at: https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/

Generally speaking 200 GT is the cutoff where above that tonnage manning (including licensing and credentialing of crew) requirements specified in 46 CFR Part 15 kick in. I would present your specific situation to the USCG NMC to determine what exactly is required for your vessel.
Great information, thank you! This is what I found in 46 CFR 15:

§ 15.403 When credentials for ratings are required.
(a) Every seaman referred to in this section, when required, must produce a valid MMC or MMD with all applicable rating endorsements for the position sought, a valid TWIC unless the mariner is exempt under 46 CFR 10.203(b)(2), and a valid medical certificate to the master of the vessel at the time of his or her employment before signing Articles of Agreement. Seamen who do not possess one of these credentials may be employed at a foreign port or place within the limitations specified in § 15.720 of this part.

(b)

(1) Every person below the grades of officer and staff officer employed on any U.S. flag merchant vessel of 100 GRT or more, except those navigating rivers exclusively and the smaller inland lakes, must possess a valid MMC or MMD, along with a valid medical certificate, with all appropriate endorsements for the positions served.

(2) No endorsements are required of any person below the rank of officer employed on any barges except seagoing barges and barges to which 46 U.S.C. chapter 37 applies.

(3) No endorsements are required of any person below the rank of officer employed on any sail vessel of less than 500 net tons while not carrying passengers for hire and while not operating outside the line dividing inland waters from the high seas. 33 U.S.C. 151.

(c) Each person serving as an able seafarer-deck, or a rating forming part of a navigational watch (RFPNW), on a seagoing vessel of 500 GT or more must hold an STCW endorsement certifying him or her as qualified to perform the navigational function at the support level, in accordance with the STCW Convention (incorporated by reference, see § 15.103 of this part).

(d) Each person serving as an able seafarer-engine, or a rating forming part of an engineering watch (RFPEW), on a seagoing vessel driven by main propulsion machinery of 1,000 HP/750 kW propulsion power or more must hold an STCW endorsement certifying him or her as qualified to perform the marine-engineering function at the support level, in accordance with the STCW Convention.

(e) Notwithstanding any other rule in this part, no person subject to this part serving on any of the following vessels needs an STCW endorsement:

(1) Vessels exempted from the application of the STCW Convention, including -

(i) Fishing vessels as defined in 46 U.S.C. 2101(11)(a);

(ii) Fishing vessels used as fish-tender vessels as defined in 46 U.S.C. 2101(11)(c);

(iii) Barges as defined in 46 U.S.C. 102, including non-self-propelled mobile offshore-drilling units;

(iv) Vessels operating exclusively on the Great Lakes; or

(v) Pilot vessels engaged in pilotage duty.

(2) Vessels not subject to any obligation under the STCW Convention due to their special operating conditions as small vessels engaged in domestic, near-coastal voyages, including -

(i) Small passenger vessels subject to subchapter T or K of 46 CFR chapter I;

(ii) Vessels of less than 200 GRT (other than passenger vessels subject to subchapter H of 46 CFR) chapter I; or

(iii) Uninspected passenger vessels as defined in 46 U.S.C. 2101(42)(B).
CaptaindeJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 15:20   #4

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Yeah 200 GRT is a magical number on the commercial side. It may be possible to have a shipyard add some tonnage openings and get it below 200. Who ever had it built really messed up.

Tags
license, motor, yacht