Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2020, 07:21   #1

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36
Fuel leak from on engine filter yanmar 3gm30f

This filter assembly is driving me crazy. Ruined one a couple years ago trying to get the bottom cup tight to stop a leak at the joint. Replaced the assembly then. Didnt leak for a year but at next change it began leaking.

Is there a special tool to tighten the nut on the assembly?
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 08:03   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Fuel leak from on engine filter yanmar 3gm30f

Here you go.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hook...&client=safari

Although I’m assuming you’re talking about the castellated nut on the yanmar secondary filter
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 08:47   #3

Yes, I will get one and see if that will get it tight enough to stop the leak.

Thanks!
Old 24-10-2020, 18:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
This filter assembly is driving me crazy. Ruined one a couple years ago trying to get the bottom cup tight to stop a leak at the joint. Replaced the assembly then. Didnt leak for a year but at next change it began leaking.

You do know you can ditch the dinky yanmar engine filter assembly & buy another filter holder & replace with spin on filters at 1/2 the price & 3x the life that dont leak?
We got a holder that takes a 5 Micron baldwin filter to replace the 10 micron Yanmar one.
Dont let Yanmar ream you unnecessarily is my motto.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
You do know you can ditch the dinky yanmar engine filter assembly & buy another filter holder & replace with spin on filters at 1/2 the price & 3x the life that dont leak?
We got a holder that takes a 5 Micron baldwin filter to replace the 10 micron Yanmar one.
That is an even better idea. I added a raycor that I put 2 micron element in as the primary filter and located it upstream of the engine. I seldom touch the one on the engine becase the damn thing is prone to leaks so bad. But, getting ready to start a trip and I wanted to have all filters clean. The reuslt was it is leaking worse.

Old 25-10-2020, 07:26   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea. Could you find another that would fit in the same place? Did you make new fuel lines?

My leak problem was not with the cannister bowl, but the bleed screws on the cannister. There doesn't seem to be much margin between being tight enough not to leak, and over too short a time, stripping the threads. Poor design IMHO, with a good portion of the female thread removed, thus easy to strip.

I thought about drilling it out for a larger bolt with the bleed groove cut in the bolt instead.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:27   #7

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post

Dont overtighten it... It probably just needs a new O ring... Over tightening can distort the housing.. or worse damage the threads.

I chased this same thing on mine till I changed out the O ring and the crush washers on the bleed screws to the proper size. I had washers on that were too big and they leaked around the threaded screw.

BUT DONT OVERTIGHTEN THAT CASTELATED NUT...
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:28   #8

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
That sounds like a good idea. Could you find another that would fit in the same place? Did you make new fuel lines?

My leak problem was not with the cannister bowl, but the bleed screws on the cannister. There doesn't seem to be much margin between being tight enough not to leak, and over too short a time, stripping the threads. Poor design IMHO, with a good portion of the female thread removed, thus easy to strip.

I thought about drilling it out for a larger bolt with the bleed groove cut in the bolt instead.
Replace the crush washer on the bleed screws... made all the difference in the world on mine... take the screw with you to the hardware store and get the proper metric sized copper washer.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:58   #9

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Common problem with Yanmar. You think they would have come up with a better design. What do other manufacturers do?
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 10:24   #10

I have the leak stopped. I had used a new OEM O-ring, but the old one really didnt show any issues. Its hard to tell what the real problem was but I also used PTFE tape on the junction and the threads, I also replaced the copper washers on the injector lines and the bleed screw. No leaks now.
Old 25-10-2020, 11:17   #11

Boat: Hunter 34

Quote:

How would I go about finding such a replacement assembly for a 3GM30F?
Thanks
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 11:53   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Totally ignorant. I might guess replace the O ring and washer. Don't over tighten.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 12:15   #13

Boat: Island Packet 32

ilanortho,
I think many of us would be interested in the details and source of the filter and the accessories
Old 25-10-2020, 15:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post

No I didnt care if it fitted in the same place, just wanted it to filter diesel & didnt want it mounted on our single banger anyway as it vibrates a lot.
I need to take pictures to show you filter as I'm away from boat at present & dont want to give incorrect information.
Yes I did put new fuel lines on as the 37 year old Yanmar one crumbled & yanmar wanted $136NZ for a 6" section of fuel line but I needed longer ones anyway.
You can get suitable fuel line from autoparts stores
The muck metal IS prone to stripping, another reason to ditch Yanmars filter assembly. Ours came pre-stripped from P.O.

I imagine ( but dont know ) that you can buy a spin on fuel filter mount from Baldwin but if you can't they have the thread sizes & dimensions of their filters on the website & you can look for one at a truck or auto supply place.
Old 27-10-2020, 16:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
ilanortho,
I think many of us would be interested in the details and source of the filter and the accessories

ok I'll be glad to help y'all escape yanmars predatory parts pricing as it's my vendetta.

The Filter is a Baldwin BF988 ( 5 micron nominal) cost $20NZ probably 1/2 that in the USA
Cant tell you what the mount is as it came with boat but its 16mmx 1.5mm thread. USA users would be better off to find an SAE thread base. It was the primary filter but I got a used $5 CAV type filter base & put an 18 micron primary filter on to use as primary & repurposed this one as engine filter.

yanmar filters cost $45 NZ & last for 100 hrs ( recommended change interval). The BF988 has done 300 hrs so far & my guess is it will do 1000hrs easy on our 8hp engine so should do at least 300 hrs on a 3GM30.

You can find fuel filter mount bases on Amazon or Ebay & then find a filter that fits from your favourite manufacturers website.

Sorry about the pic quality & orientation, I'm not 'puter savvy.
Ignore the squeeze bulb, thats for oil pre start priming.

Pics below of my easy to access setup.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_145807.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	225983

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_145942.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	225984

Tags