Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 16:34   #16

Boat: Island Packet 32
Re: Fuel leak from on engine filter yanmar 3gm30f

Thanks for the information Compass.
Old 27-10-2020, 17:54   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
Thanks for the information Compass.

You're welcome. Forgot to add I'm pretty sure you can ring up Baldwin & they'll search out a filter & base to suit you as well as telling you your nearest dealer.
I have no association with baldwin, just love to steer people away from yanmar since they wanted to charge me $630 for an 8hp conrod that should be 1/10th of that price.
Also 1000 hrs of Yanmars fuel filters works out at $450NZ & baldwins cost will be $20-$40 for 1000 hrs runtime on our engine so no worries if you need to spend $50 on a base

Post back if to help others in the USA should you do the upgrade if you wish.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 18:03   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Or you make your own fuel filter mount if you (or a mate) has access to lathe.

I knocked up this one from some scrap 100mm x 6mm SS flat bar, a 8mm SS nut and bolt and 16mm SS nut and bolt.

The filter is Baldwin BF988 equivalent (has a M16 x 1.5 thread - same as the bolt).

My bronze brazing is a little rough but I pressure tested it to 60 psi so I am sure it will last .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4248.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	225998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4246.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	225999  

Name:	IMG_4252.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	226000  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 19:04   #19
Marine Service Provider

Ya caint get an ss filter mount frm baldwin like that!
I like it apart from the slight sear the brazing gave my eyeballs
Makes me want to make one now.

Except I'd have to blur out my brazing if I posted pic. lol
Old 27-10-2020, 19:31   #20

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Or you can find one like this on flea bay, complete with priming pump.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-F...97.m4902.l9144

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 15:10   #21

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Thanks for the good advice guys. I have a 2GM20F & at present cruising the Queensland coast. Noticed a diesel leak on the banjo fittings, so replaced the copper washers (ongoing problem) Doing up the outlet one & it stripped. Managed to get a replacement shipped to the nearest marina. So a filter type replacement will be on the agenda when back at our home port.
When we were in Fiji the bleed screw was leaking, so undid it to replace the washer & the thread came out with it.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 15:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
Thanks for the good advice guys. I have a 2GM20F & at present cruising the Queensland coast. Noticed a diesel leak on the banjo fittings, so replaced the copper washers (ongoing problem) Doing up the outlet one & it stripped. Managed to get a replacement shipped to the nearest marina. So a filter type replacement will be on the agenda when back at our home port.
When we were in Fiji the bleed screw was leaking, so undid it to replace the washer & the thread came out with it.

Too late for you but there is a few things you can do with the copper washers. Easy start is to anneal them on the boat stove. Heat to red hot & allow to cool. You can quench them in water if you like. You can wrap thread tape over the washers on bolt before tightening up or you can put Loctite 518 master gasket or flange sealant on the washers. This is finicky but works on problem joints if the sealing faces are a bit dodgy.
Old 30-10-2020, 15:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Too late for you but there is a few things you can do with the copper washers. Easy start is to anneal them on the boat stove. Heat to red hot & allow to cool. You can quench them in water if you like. You can wrap thread tape over the washers on bolt before tightening up or you can put Loctite 518 master gasket or flange sealant on the washers. This is finicky but works on problem joints if the sealing faces are a bit dodgy.
Cheers mate for the ideas. I am going to replace the Yanmar one with a spin on housing. The main issue is that the banjo bolts keep seeping. I have annealed the washers & stag pasted the threads. New filter 4 hours running and it is already damp around the banjo bolts. I think that it is a combination of vibration & heat between two different metals that loosen them slightly. Might look at another system other than the banjo bolts.
Old 30-10-2020, 15:56   #24

Quote:
I don't know what washer you had underneath bleed screw but FWIW, Yamnar changed from copper to nylon (or something similar to nylon) awhile back. The synthetic washer needs far less torque to seal and helps to prevent stripping the bleed screw thread (i.e. the red one in the picture).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuel Filter.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	226168  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-10-2020, 15:59   #25

Quote:
Cheers mate for the ideas. I am going to replace the Yanmar one with a spin on housing. The main issue is that the banjo bolts keep seeping. I have annealed the washers & stag pasted the threads. New filter 4 hours running and it is already damp around the banjo bolts. I think that it is a combination of vibration & heat between two different metals that loosen them slightly. Might look at another system other than the banjo bolts.
Interesting. I haven't had any problem but maybe I've been lucky or you have been unlucky.

There isn't much pressure and the annealed washers and stag should have sealed nicely. I wonder if there was any pitting on the sealing faces or similar.
Old 30-10-2020, 16:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I don't know what washer you had underneath bleed screw but FWIW, Yamnar changed from copper to nylon (or something similar to nylon) awhile back. The synthetic washer needs far less torque to seal and helps to prevent stripping the bleed screw thread (i.e. the red one in the picture).
You are right. I have noticed that the new one has another type of washer under it.

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, engine, fuel, yanmar