Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 16:35   #46

Re: Diesel on the hip

To syphon I use air pressure

Push a Garden hose into the barrel ... down to the bottom of the barrel

Wrap a rag around this hose were it penetrates the fuel barrel ... make it air tight

Take your dingy air pump ....attach its hose to the air vent of the fuel barrel and pressurize the barrel

Once pressurized , Fuel will run out of the garden hose , into the ships tank and begin the syphon

This is how you transfer fuel from 55 gallon barrels , on the aft deck , into your tanks

Once the barrel Is empty , tie a string to your soiled garden hose and push back
Into the barrel...use the small string to keep hold of the end

Once in port pass the plastic barrel and hose
Onto the next seaman on passage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	798C1C54-8F06-4C01-9DF9-784644876353.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	219291  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 16:40   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
California really blew it on this one. I bet if you started a fuel jug manufacturing company and sold jugs with "normal" spouts to the other 49 states you'd make a fortune.
Or actually just the spout, you can even buy the old fashioned vents that pop into plastic cans, I have them on the gas cans, because I will use the sour for gas.
But why don’t the manufacturers offer a good non CARB compliment spout?
I believe other States must have adopted whatever California says, must have.
But the CARB compliment cans are supposed to prevent pollution, but are so jacked up they cause fuel spills. So I believe they pollute worse.
Of course they are trying to stop vapor.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 16:42   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
To syphon I use air pressure

Push a Garden hose into the barrel ... down to the bottom of the barrel

Wrap a rag around this hose were it penetrates the fuel barrel ... make it air tight

Take your dingy air pump ....attach its hose to the air vent of the fuel barrel and pressurize the barrel

Once the barrel Is empty , tie a string to your soiled garden hose and push back
Into the barrel...use the small string to keep hold of the end

Once in port pass the plastic barrel and hose
Onto the next seaman on passage

Once pressurized , Fuel will run out of the garden hose , into the ships tank and begin the syphon

This is how you transfer fuel from 55 gallon barrels , on the aft deck , into your tanks
I used to carry two of those on the swim platform of a Sportfisherman, I pumped the fuel as soon as there was room for it to go. Idea was if weather got real bad, to set them free.
Those blue plastic drums you could get for free, they carried juice concentrate originally.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 17:14   #49

Yah

I do the northern transatlantic many times

Those barrels are available in Nova Scotia for a few dollars used ,,, they are used for water soluble chemicals at food processors

Give them a good rinse before using

Avoid steel .. they may be contaminated with non water solvable liquids
Old 13-07-2020, 17:22   #50

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
...I hear a lot of experts say they never carry jugs on deck. I don't know where they have the room to store them belowdecks and actually live in their boats
We are full-time cruisers and the boat is basically stuffed to the gills with gear, provisions and supplies. I also don't know how people get by without jugs. We don't often go to marinas so water and fuel are usually transported by dinghy...
Boats are different. We have 60 gallons in internal tanks, lucky us. We live on our boat. We've spent months at anchor and have crossed all the worlds oceans. Never run out of fuel, and we use diesel (in the main engine) to charge our batteries. Takes about 1/2 gal per day. That gives us 120 days.

For example this spring we spent 90 days on our cruise, eight anchorages, and we used 116 gallons of fuel, meaning we made one fuel stop.

The jerry jugs we have, for ferrying fuel and water from shore, are kept empty in the stern, below the lazarette (washed clean, it's open to the cabin). We too are packed to the gills, including 12 sails, but nothing is on the cabin sole, and our dingy and motor are also carried below decks. It all depends on the boat you choose.

However, we will go to quite extreme measures to avoid transporting fuel or water by dingy. Almost everywhere someone will do it for you, at a cheap price, and it helps them earn money. You can always find water or fuel and someone to help you transport it to the boat.

For instance the child in this photo transported 120 gallons, 20 at a time, over the course of four days, from a clear water tap in Papua New Guinea, using my jugs (I only had two water jugs as well) for a good fee. (the kids were ballast when the water jugs were not present).

Another case, in Sumatra, a lady dipped fuel with a ladle into our fuel jugs and a passing man with a truck brought it to the beach where our dingy lay, and we moved 30 gallons that way, but we had to use a halyard to lift it aboard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Small child in a canoe.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	219293  
Old 13-07-2020, 17:29   #51

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Those are crap, I’ve bought them, the gaskets are junk and the base isn’t wide enough where they attach to the can, so they leak.
Jugs sold in the Bahamas aren’t CARB compliant so they have normal nozzles, also dinghy fuel cans sold in the Bahama’s have a vent and aren’t therefore CARB compliant.
Interestingly if you look, some of the dinghy fuel cans on Amazon also aren’t CARB compliant

It’s the California Air Resource Board that we have to thank for all the unvented cans with stupid spouts that cause you to spill so much fuel if you use them.

On edit, you can also buy the vents too, they work well, just when you drill the hole for them you need of use a stepped bit, a regular bit will twist the hole and the vents won’t sit flush when installed.
I don't know anything about any of this stuff. I bought my two yellow jugs in 1996.They live inside the boat (washed clean). I've used them about three times. The spouts work fine. I did replace the vent caps last year.
Old 13-07-2020, 19:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I don't know anything about any of this stuff. I bought my two yellow jugs in 1996.They live inside the boat (washed clean). I've used them about three times. The spouts work fine. I did replace the vent caps last year.
Protect your old jerry jugs , all the new EPA approved stuff is junk

The best jugs are military , NATO , Scepter fuel cans

No silly vent to break off . no silly multipurpose cap nozzle

Only a simple Robust cap and very heavy plastic construction

Look on eBay and the internet for surplus jugs

I think they might be illegal for sale in the USA as fuel containers

Double check
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C0C903F1-3492-4517-A9F1-29A6DB47A099.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	219303  
Old 13-07-2020, 19:45   #53
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I have a separate fuel-polishing loop with its own racor and Carter 60gph fuel pump. I have diverter valves both before and after the loop so I can suck fuel directly out of a jug and through the filter before being pumped into my tank. I never need to use the spouts on the Jerry cans. I can also suck fuel directly out of the main tank and into a jug as well -or from jug to jug even. If I had a couple of 55-gallon drums I could completely empty my tank into them to inspect or clean it.

We cruise mostly in the US and Canada on the east coast so we don't have much opportunity to exploit empoverished little children for cheap labor. I haul my own weight. I have never even conceived of leveraging child labor to do that for me.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 20:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I have a separate fuel-polishing loop with its own racor and Carter 60gph fuel pump. I have diverter valves both before and after the loop so I can suck fuel directly out of a jug and through the filter before being pumped into my tank. I never need to use the spouts on the Jerry cans. I can also suck fuel directly out of the main tank and into a jug as well -or from jug to jug even. If I had a couple of 55-gallon drums I could completely empty my tank into them to inspect or clean it.

We cruise mostly in the US and Canada on the east coast so we don't have much opportunity to exploit empoverished little children for cheap labor. I haul my own weight. I have never even conceived of leveraging child labor to do that for me.

I much of the world local entrepreneurs with robust skiffs or a pickup truck seek you out to sell you fuel from barrels or water in 1000 liter cubes

It’s buisness
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CBE7F68C-7ED2-4AED-BAB5-5CBC18A4A4A8.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	219304  
Old 20-07-2020, 07:58   #55

We used a bladder ATL Fuel Bladders lashed to the deck aft of the mast. The bladder held 25gal (equivalent to 5 jerry cans). It was relatively easy to transfer the fuel offhsore while underway.
jbistrickcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:27   #56
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Plastic jugs on deck attached to the stanchions with a 1x3 piece of oak.
Refuel with a jiggle siphon, don’t try to use the spout, it will aggravate you no end and make a mess besides.
I rarely use them, I leave with full fuel in the cans and usually come back with them full and refill the boat from them to keep fresh fuel.
I do it out of paranoia, like last year when the Bahama’s closed the fuel docks, having fuel on deck was comforting then.

Be sure to treat them with biocide or you could end up with unusable fuel.

Don’t use bungee cords, they quickly rot in the sun and just don’t last, lash them with rope. And make some Sunbrella covers for them, looks better and the cans will last a long time if kept covered, it might even help keep the fuel as it blocks light.
Thanks for the tip about the jiggler siphon pump!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:57   #57

My student’s would ask me “what makes a design a Cruising Boat?”
Of course there are a number of factors that many will discuss (argue). But one factor no matter is tankage. If you see a “cruising” boat and it’s decks are lined with jerry jugs. Well, it’s not a very well designed cruising boat. The only container that should Not be down below is Gasoline, for obvious safety reasons.

I have even seen boats being advertised as being specifically for cruising, with pitiful tankage. No excuse. I know, the designer/marketers want the interior to look like a spacious condo as that’s what sells them. As a contrast, look at a boat called the Caliber40 LRC, standing for long range cruiser. It has 240 gal of diesel! No need for jerry jugs here. My Cal 2-46 had 270 gal diesel, 210 water all in down low and out of the way. Not filling all the lockers. But sorry this is not to denigrate cruisers with boats w/o enough tankage. These are the boats that ore for sale and available, especially at a good price. My Alberg 35 had poor tankage, but it could cross oceans. Many have. My KP 44 had 110 gal fuel and 200 water. I converted a 50 gal water tank to fuel so now had 150 water and 160 fuel. Much better.
Hey, you do what you have to and go cruising with any boat safe enough to do it!
And if you can afford it, modern 12V water makers help a lot in the tankage department, even on smaller boats.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 11:09   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
My student’s would ask me “what makes a design a Cruising Boat?”
Of course there are a number of factors that many will discuss (argue). But one factor no matter is tankage. If you see a “cruising” boat and it’s decks are lined with jerry jugs. Well, it’s not a very well designed cruising boat. The only container that should Not be down below is Gasoline, for obvious safety reasons.

I have even seen boats being advertised as being specifically for cruising, with pitiful tankage. No excuse. I know, the designer/marketers want the interior to look like a spacious condo as that’s what sells them. As a contrast, look at a boat called the Caliber40 LRC, standing for long range cruiser. It has 240 gal of diesel! No need for jerry jugs here. My Cal 2-46 had 270 gal diesel, 210 water all in down low and out of the way. Not filling all the lockers. But sorry this is not to denigrate cruisers with boats w/o enough tankage. These are the boats that ore for sale and available, especially at a good price. My Alberg 35 had poor tankage, but it could cross oceans. Many have. My KP 44 had 110 gal fuel and 200 water. I converted a 50 gal water tank to fuel so now had 150 water and 160 fuel. Much better.
Hey, you do what you have to and go cruising with any boat safe enough to do it!
And if you can afford it, modern 12V water makers help a lot in the tankage department, even on smaller boats.

If you bulk your boat up with internal fuel you compromise layout, balance and storage
Old 20-07-2020, 11:37   #59

Slug,

Not a properly designed boat. My Cal 2-46 made near 200 mile days under sail on numerous times. And could motor at 7.5 kts 24 hrs a day. Not bad for a 50 yr old design. And tons ( no pun intended ) of living an storage space. All the tankage was in the bilge, not in lockers! Down low where all that weight belongs. A full stand up walk in engine room with a drill press, vice , 20 gal/hr watermaker, 7.5 kw genny. All batteries, pumps tools in the engine ROOM. None in lockers. A galley with 15 feet of counter space. We were not hurting. And yes, she crossed oceans several times. No she wasn’t an upwind screamer, most liveaboad cruisers aren’t. But could tack through 95 degrees and tracked like on rails up or downwind.

My KPeterson 44 was an even better sailing boat but not quite as commodious as the Cal, but sailed quite well up wind again for a 34,000# cruiser. Low windage, long waterline and deep keel. As a long range liveaboard cruiser, I liked the Cal best.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 16:24   #60

I use the square looking fuel containers (5) gal and can put three in my lazarette. I've an Endeavour 32 for which the on board tank is twenty gals, and I don't use the engine much so it works for me. I don't like fuel cans on deck. If I had to do it, I'd strap them to the toes rails paired on either side and then strap the pair together across the cabin.
79Endeavour32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel