Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 11:51   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Deep fryer oil in diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailon46 View Post
It may interest the group to know that a few years ago I had the chance to test old cooking oil involved in a plant explosion and hurting some operators. Well the composition of old oil was composed of a number of cyclated hydrocarbons and I mean a lot of byproducts were composed of benzene rings. For those chemists in the group that makes for easier combustion. Typical old cooking oil fire.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
This is exactly the sort of response I was looking for as it may be the explanation for a more complete burn.
Your response goes to the top of the list in my head anyway
I can stop drinking beer now??? & start trying to to find out about cyclated hydrocarbons & benzene rings.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 12:02   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkum View Post
In the time that sunflower oil was about a third of diesel I rann my peugeot 1..9td on a mix of somewhere around 50 50 veg oil and diesel.
Sometimes it was near 80 % sunflower. Bought it in bowes and poured it in on the parking place
The only difference was the smell and the tank cap got sticky
Car was yearly tested, also for soot. No soot.
The car is back on diesel coz cooking oil got too expensive and I use that car far less.

Good to know,
Yes its not a money saving exercise at $2.50 per litre for canola or soybean oil & $1.15 per litre for diesel if you burnt new oil but I dont plan to do that.

I did like the idea of extra lubricity for the injection pump & injector & thought it was a good way to dispose of the oil.
Thanks for the info.
Old 19-12-2020, 12:10   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
I have run biodiesel in a diesel car for a number of years. It has often been observed that biodiesel results in the engine burning cleaner and does remove combustion deposits from the engine. I assume you are seeing a similar effect by using filtered WVO as an additive.

Certainly seems to result in a more complete burn but will have to wait on combustion deposits question as have only done 7 hrs runtime on the 10% WVO mix.
Seems much more likely there will be less rather than more with it burning cleaner.
Will be good if the exhaust elbow gets less carbon buildup.
Thanks for the input.
Old 19-12-2020, 12:48   #34

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Talking Re: Deep fryer oil in diesel

Probably the fish species not mentioned but critical is Tubot!
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 12:51   #35

Soy bean oil is an excellent solvent. Will remove paint, dissolves sludge, and gummy fuel. Probably got a real good fuel line clean out.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 13:28   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
Soy bean oil is an excellent solvent. Will remove paint, dissolves sludge, and gummy fuel. Probably got a real good fuel line clean out.

I'm a bit doubtful as it got new fuel lines, injector & rebuilt injection pump 300 hrs ago. Has an 18 micron primary fuel filter & 5 micron secondary so supply should be clean. Seemed to be pumping plenty of fuel before putting WVO in tank as it would spray out the exhaust when overloaded.
Good to know its a good solvent. I shall keep an eye on primary filter to see if it strips asphaltenes from tank so thanks for the warning.
Old 19-12-2020, 14:18   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Had a puzzling experience so I thought I'd consult the hive.
I had 2 litres of old vegetable oil out of deep fryer, mostly soybean oil but some that bottle just said vegetable oil & I wanted to dispose of it. Know that they use it in boidiesel so filtered it & put in 20 litre diesel tank on boat. Topped up tank with pump diesel.
Boat is powered by a Yanmar ysm8 hp single that was rebuilt some 300 hrs ago. Got rebuilt injector pump, new injector, new piston & rings, good liner, new exhaust v/v, rebuilt oil pump & new big end & main bearings. The boat is overpropped ( long story) & will normally only rev to 2200 rpm before starting to blow black smoke. Motor has good compression.
Just had 4 days out & motor would rev to 2500 against a 15+ knot wind & small chop & still burn clean. Gained a knot in speed.
My question is : Why the sudden change in performance with a 10% ratio of used deep fryer oil???
Vegetable oil has slightly lower BTU's than diesel so it theoretically should make less power but it clearly is producing more.
Anyone know whats going on or would like to hazard a guess what happened? I drank a lot of beer puzzling over it & have a few ideas but nothing that sticks out as the smoking gun.
Help! I'm at my 1/2 wits end
I can't help with why the added performance but I have a mate in Charters Towers who owns an older non-turbo diesel Toyota Troop Carrier with twin fuel tanks. He starts on diesel then swaps tanks to used cooking oil. Smells distinctly like a fish and chip shop when he drives past but other than that it seems to perform normally. He picks up cooking oil from several businesses which he then filters prior to use.
MickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:21   #38

Many years ago we experimented with used vegetable oil in our new diesel pickup.
Worked well when oil was well prepared but we ended the experiment several months later when the fuel tank rusted out. We have theories but in a boat's often hard to remove diesel thanks I would never do this.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Many years ago we experimented with used vegetable oil in our new diesel pickup.
Worked well when oil was well prepared but we ended the experiment several months later when the fuel tank rusted out. We have theories but in a boat's often hard to remove diesel thanks I would never do this.
That's interesting, I haven't spoken to Al in 6 months but I'll ask him if he has had any similar issues. He's been using cooking oil in his Toyota for at least four years that I know of.
MickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:37   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post

thats interesting,
I'm not recommending anyone try this at this stage, just wanted to know how it seems to run better.
Have an ss tank thats easily removable but cant see the oil attacking the 316 ss so its not a worry to me.
Good warning about trying it in a car tho.
Old 19-12-2020, 14:45   #41

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
I can't help with why the added performance but I have a mate in Charters Towers who owns an older non-turbo diesel Toyota Troop Carrier with twin fuel tanks. He starts on diesel then swaps tanks to used cooking oil. Smells distinctly like a fish and chip shop when he drives past but other than that it seems to perform normally. He picks up cooking oil from several businesses which he then filters prior to use.
A Toyota Troop Carrier? Never heard of such. The company in Saudi Arabia I worked for back in the early 1980’s had an FJ-40 Landcruiser
based crew carrier, but for some reason I thought that was a custom build. Don’t remember if it was gasoline or diesel.
In my motley collection of vehicles and Kubota engine based small ag tractors, I have a Swiss Pinz Gauer canvas topped troop carrier, but that runs on gasoline in a spark combustion engine.
What model and year is the Toyota?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:47   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post

Good to know thanks,
I wont be going down the pure WVO path as then you need to get into heating the oil. Also at 600cc per hr fuel consumption is not a biggie.
But I'll continue disposing of my old cooking oil in the diesel tank after filtering unless any problems crop up.
If your cobber runs his Tojo no problems on straight WVO its unlikely I will have trouble but TBC.

Sailing is much more pleasant than operating the Yammer single.
Old 19-12-2020, 14:51   #43
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Maybe 15 years ago when diesel was over $4/gal I decided I had had enough of the heathen ragheads and built a system to refine WVO. Basically ran the WVO thru a centrifuge for hours. If I recall correctly, 8 hours for a 55 gal barrel before the impurity level was acceptable. I would not run unrefined WVO, out of your deep fryer in an engine. Way too many impurities. And as stated, bio-diesel is not WVO. You may have gotten away with it once but I would not recommend it as a steady diet. And yes, the truck exhaust smelled like French Fries when I was burning the WVO. Did not notice a performance difference. Over time the pump price dropped enough that it was no longer worth the time/effort and closed shop. Anyone want to buy a centrifuge and high speed motor?
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:56   #44

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
A Toyota Troop Carrier? Never heard of such. The company in Saudi Arabia I worked for back in the early 1980’s had an FJ-40 Landcruiser
based crew carrier, but for some reason I thought that was a custom build. Don’t remember if it was gasoline or diesel.
In my motley collection of vehicles and Kubota engine based small ag tractors, I have a Swiss Pinz Gauer canvas topped troop carrier, but that runs on gasoline in a spark combustion engine.
What model and year is the Toyota?
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/toy...carrier-badge/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:59   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Maybe 15 years ago when diesel was over $4/gal I decided I had had enough of the heathen ragheads and built a system to refine WVO. Basically ran the WVO thru a centrifuge for hours. If I recall correctly, 8 hours for a 55 gal barrel before the impurity level was acceptable. I would not run unrefined WVO, out of your deep fryer in an engine. Way too many impurities. And as stated, bio-diesel is not WVO. You may have gotten away with it once but I would not recommend it as a steady diet. And yes, the truck exhaust smelled like French Fries when I was burning the WVO. Did not notice a performance difference.

Thanks for the info but the 2 fuel filters should take care of the impurities.
It likely will be that the filters clog faster but that is yet to be determined.
Keep in mind this is an 8 hp engine so doesnt pump much fuel thru.

I believe the Iranians are looking for centrifuges

Tags
diesel, oil