Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 15:13   #46
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'
Re: Deep fryer oil in diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Thanks for the info but the 2 fuel filters should take care of the impurities.
It likely will be that the filters clog faster but that is yet to be determined.
Keep in mind this is an 8 hp engine so doesnt pump much fuel thru.

I believe the Iranians are looking for centrifuges
Good point. Did not consider the fuel filters. And Touche! on your mention of the Iranians/centrifuges. Someone has a sense of humor.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:36   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
A Toyota Troop Carrier? Never heard of such. The company in Saudi Arabia I worked for back in the early 1980’s had an FJ-40 Landcruiser
based crew carrier, but for some reason I thought that was a custom build. Don’t remember if it was gasoline or diesel.
In my motley collection of vehicles and Kubota engine based small ag tractors, I have a Swiss Pinz Gauer canvas topped troop carrier, but that runs on gasoline in a spark combustion engine.
What model and year is the Toyota?
Andy, You've never heard of a Troopy? i was working in Saudi in 2016 and I saw them then, they are also extreamly common in Africa, Asia and Australia where Toyota is the bush workhorse of choice, I don't recall seeing many Toyota Landcruisers in the two years I lived in the US except the Lexus version of the 100 Series. I believe they were first introduced in the mid 80's here in Oz and are still available today, not sure about anywhere else.

https://www.redbook.com.au/editorial...-series-24609/
MickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:47   #48

The BTU content would only be an issue if the injectors can't add enough fuel. Most naturally aspirated diesels are limited by air intake not injector output, so a lower BTU/gal fuel won't typically affect the performance by itself (particularly at 10% ratios)

Probably dissolved some of the build up in the motor.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 16:07   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The BTU content would only be an issue if the injectors can't add enough fuel. Most naturally aspirated diesels are limited by air intake not injector output, so a lower BTU/gal fuel won't typically affect the performance by itself (particularly at 10% ratios)

Probably dissolved some of the build up in the motor.

The fuel part rings true to me as it can definitely pump more fuel than its air capacity. Not sure that buildup in the motor was an issue as was rebuilt 300 hrs ago & was all clean & still never went as well as it does now. Actually our hull is not clean as well so it may be even better than a 300 rpm increase.
Need to answer questions Wotname posed in post #10 to narrow down the possibilities but that may be a while in coming.
Thanks for helping with the thought process, however, at least in our fuel system, its the fuel rack in the IP that determines the quantity of fuel not the injector.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 20:00   #50
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
Probably the fish species not mentioned but critical is Tubot!

Have you been drinking beer too?
Certainly felt like the engine had been secretly turboted !
Sadly it wasnt part of the WVO production process but may be in the future but more likely turbot would end up in butter.
Old 21-12-2020, 07:14   #51
DIJ

Boat: Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Andy, You've never heard of a Troopy? i was working in Saudi in 2016 and I saw them then, they are also extreamly common in Africa, Asia and Australia where Toyota is the bush workhorse of choice, I don't recall seeing many Toyota Landcruisers in the two years I lived in the US except the Lexus version of the 100 Series. I believe they were first introduced in the mid 80's here in Oz and are still available today, not sure about anywhere else.

https://www.redbook.com.au/editorial...-series-24609/
I have driven a few of these (only on standard diesel though) very reliable machines. I think the original non-believing reply was an example of that occasional in certain places idea that if we don’t have them they don’t exist.
DIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 07:47   #52

Boat: Morgan 382

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that he engine went a bit lean with the oil in the mix. Less combustible fuel for the same volume of the oil/fuel mix measured out by the injectors. The lean mix would have had less smoke, more power, but would run at higher (possibly damaging) temperature.
Old 21-12-2020, 11:46   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a friend with a diesel pickup that does thousands of towing miles a year. He has sources of used cooking oil that supply all his fuel needs. He filters it with standard 5 micron water filters and adds a predetermined amount of ethanol to bring it up to normal diesel power levels and pumps it in his pu tanks.
The pu is a F-250 with a 7.3 engine, I think a 2003. It only sees regular diesel on long tows away from his cooking oil. The engine was rebuilt at 400,000 and now has about another 400,000 and still going strong.

Diesels will run on any oil as long as the fuel clean and somewhere near regular combustion properties. I've been adding filtered waste motor oil to my fuel since the 1960 and only quit because I centrifuge my oil now.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 13:06   #54

Quote:
In my wildest dreams it would run quieter!
Sadly no noticeable improvement in noise level.
Having a hard time believing increased lubricity would account for the level of power increase as cant believe injection pump parasitic drag would change as much as to account for power increase.
Thanks for suggestion.

It's not about the fuel pump drag, or the injectors, it's about the lubrication of the pistons and cylinder walls.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 14:07   #55
Marine Service Provider

7.3l here...like others have said, it will run on anything.
BUT....the new style bio fuels will eventually ruin the o-rings on the fuel bowl, fuel bowl drain fittings, and the supply and return lines, filling the valley with fuel.
It usually first starts when its cold outside....then eventually it leaks nonstop.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 14:40   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I have a friend with a diesel pickup that does thousands of towing miles a year. He has sources of used cooking oil that supply all his fuel needs. He filters it with standard 5 micron water filters and adds a predetermined amount of ethanol to bring it up to normal diesel power levels and pumps it in his pu tanks.
The pu is a F-250 with a 7.3 engine, I think a 2003. It only sees regular diesel on long tows away from his cooking oil. The engine was rebuilt at 400,000 and now has about another 400,000 and still going strong.

Diesels will run on any oil as long as the fuel clean and somewhere near regular combustion properties. I've been adding filtered waste motor oil to my fuel since the 1960 and only quit because I centrifuge my oil now.

Thanks for this useful info.
Was looking at water filters & thinking " could I use one of those ?" I just filtered it thru cloth for the experiment thinking that fuel filters will catch the rest.

Wont be bothering with centrifuge as our fuel consumption is so small but also good to know if I go to a launch when I'm past sailing.
Was wondering about the filtered waste engine oil as well, what % do you mix that at?
I can recycle used engine oil so not so worried about that but still might try it.

Yea I knew I could burn the WVO but couldnt understand the power increase but see post #27 for, IMHO, the most likely explanation
Old 21-12-2020, 14:45   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillikum View Post
It's not about the fuel pump drag, or the injectors, it's about the lubrication of the pistons and cylinder walls.

Maybe but from post #18

Yes whilst on boat I considered that but hell this is a horizontal cylinder engine which must get heaps of oil slung on the liner walls from the crankshaft.

I can't prove it either way but I like post #27 's possible explanation better.

Careful you might make me drink more beer!
Old 21-12-2020, 14:53   #58
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post
7.3l here...like others have said, it will run on anything.
BUT....the new style bio fuels will eventually ruin the o-rings on the fuel bowl, fuel bowl drain fittings, and the supply and return lines, filling the valley with fuel.
It usually first starts when its cold outside....then eventually it leaks nonstop.

Are you talking WVO mix here?
Find it hard to believe cooking oil would be that agressive to o-rings as it doesnt attack plastic bottles.
Maybe ethanol would attack the o-rings if they are not nitrile.
But I will post back if I notice any problems.
Old 21-12-2020, 15:17   #59

Quote:
Maybe but from post #18

Yes whilst on boat I considered that but hell this is a horizontal cylinder engine which must get heaps of oil slung on the liner walls from the crankshaft.

I can't prove it either way but I like post #27 's possible explanation better.

Careful you might make me drink more beer!

Hey, "whatever floats your boat!"

Could be just improved combustion, and I know we're not supposed to believe there's anything left to lubricate the walls after the fuel is ignited...but if there was, or any lubricious byproduct of that combustion, it could potentially lubricate the walls as the piston returns for the exhaust stroke. Nothing gets past the compression rings on the exhaust upstroke, even when they're worn? I wonder!
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 16:49   #60
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillikum View Post
Hey, "whatever floats your boat!"

Could be just improved combustion, and I know we're not supposed to believe there's anything left to lubricate the walls after the fuel is ignited...but if there was, or any lubricious byproduct of that combustion, it could potentially lubricate the walls as the piston returns for the exhaust stroke. Nothing gets past the compression rings on the exhaust upstroke, even when they're worn? I wonder!

Just cant see it because if there was 3/4 of a hp worth of drag whilst running on straight pump diesel the piston, rings & liner wouldnt last long.
Remember the hone cross-hatching is to hold some engine oil on the liner walls & the motor is easy to turn over decompressed. Admittedly thats nothing like the drag when the rings are pushed out against liner walls under compression but still think wear.

I might be able to test the lubrication theory at a later date which some waste engine oil in the diesel & no WVO but don't hold yr breath.

Tags
diesel, oil