Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 13:42   #61

Re: Are all 2 stroke outboards unreliable or is it just mine?

John Steinbeck , in his book "The log from the sea of Cortez" describes his difficult relationship with an outboard motor called a "Hanson Seacow" that seemed to be both malevolent and cunning in its random refusals to run when needed. I had a similar experience with the renowned British Seagull , an engine so prone to angering its owner with its petulant behavior that the manufacturer provided a strong cord with a wooden handle to beat it with when all else failed. This cord could also be used to try and start the engine.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 13:51   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I would not go 4 stroke on a small outboard if I had the choice.

I inherited a 4 hp 4 stroke Yamaha with a boat I purchased and the damned thing drove me nuts. You not only have the fuel problems you have with a 2 stroke but also those related to the engine having a sump full of lube oil and a fair bit of extra weight to handle getting it on and off the transom. After it stranded me a few times I went out and bought a second 2 stroke.

They appear to be a lot more economical on fuel though.

I'm on my second four stroke outboard. I love two strokes, and will continue to love them, two strokes are magnificent, but four strokes don't suck at all.

The sump full of lube oil is not a big deal -- just don't set it down contrary to the instructions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 13:55   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
John Steinbeck , in his book "The log from the sea of Cortez" describes his difficult relationship with an outboard motor called a "Hanson Seacow" that seemed to be both malevolent and cunning in its random refusals to run when needed. I had a similar experience with the renowned British Seagull , an engine so prone to angering its owner with its petulant behavior that the manufacturer provided a strong cord with a wooden handle to beat it with when all else failed. This cord could also be used to try and start the engine.

As far as I know, the biggest problem with small engines of that era is the ignition system. With a weak spark from a weak magneto, the least bit of uncombusted fluff would interrupt the process. I remember struggling with the small engines of my childhood. But after the advent of CDI, I think that's all history. I don't think any vaguely modern (last 25 years?) outboard will give any starting problems, unless there is a significant fuel system issue.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 01:06   #64

Boat: Island Packet 40

Getting a bit of drift into the thread.

The "Emma Maersk", a large container ship with a 15,550 20' equivalent container capacity has a Wartsila 2 stroke diesel engine which is 13m (43') tall and 26m (85') long which uses 6,280 litres of fuel an hour. The fuel is heavy fuel oil which has to be heated to 140 degrees celcius. It runs at 120 RPM and has two lube oil systems, one in the crankshaft housing and a second which is sacrificial and lubricates the pistons. It has a single giant exhaust valve.

It runs about 7,000 hours per year for about 175,000 hours before an overhaul. I imagine it's fairly reliable so it must be just yours.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, outboard