Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2019, 10:55   #31

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Re: Are all 2 stroke outboards unreliable or is it just mine?

1984 Yamaha 9,9 2 stroke, 2 services in that time, replaced impeller. Started 1st pull after being frozen in ice all winter, Used to push our 32 foot sailbpoaty, plus a 12 foot RIBBY plus a heavy 16 foot AL fishing boat
Has done thousands of miles.

ALWAYS RUN ON PREMIUM no ethanol gas with AMSoil at 50 to 1 ratio.
I get very annoyed on the odd time it doesn't start 1st time

Bill

[QUOTE=Paramotorgreg;2908298]I inherited a Mariner 3.2 2-stroke engine
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 12:00   #32

Boat: Northwind 50

Thanks for all your helpful comments, however I am cruising in Greece and sourcing ethanol-free fuel isn't really an option - you can get what is available from the marina fuelling station or from the petrol stations and I assume that both contain ethanol.

The problems I have experienced sometimes occur after I have had to tilt the motor - I guess that although the tank has been emptied and cleaned at the repair there may again be dirt in the tank which is disturbed and then clogs the carburettor. I will buy a new carburettor and start using a filter when I fill the tank. Perhaps that will help.

The idea of carrying a carb cleaning kit in the dinghy for emergencies is an interesting one - but I must confess that I don't want to have to spend 15 minutes cleaning the carb when I want to get back to my boat......I just want an engine that starts reliably when I want to use it! My boat engine starts first time, every time as does my car engine. I don't want an electric engine because then I will have to find a way of charging it. What petrol-powered outboard would you recommend that i buy to get reliability?
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 13:17   #33

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I don't know Mariner outboards of that size, but I assume that there is a fuel hose between the tank and the carb. If the hose was not made to be compatible with Ethanol fuels it will deteriorate from the inside out, shedding particles into the gas. If they keep rebuilding the carb and not changing the fuel line they may not be fixing the problem.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 13:25   #34

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

How do you guys filter the fuel before putting it in the tank?

BTW its also good to really dry water out of the tank and fuel lines as well as the carb each time it won't start. If you want to clean carbs right, get an ultrasonic cleaner. They are not too expensive, about $100.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 14:47   #35

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I owned several 2T outboards back in the day and it seemed like I was always fiddling with them. For the past 30+ years I have owned only Honda and Yamaha 4T small outboards. They have been a model of reliability. Store all winter with a little Stabil in the fuel, they start first or second time in the spring. I have actually had similar experiences with 2T and 4T scooters. Always fiddling with the 2T to keep it running, the 4T starts and runs all day with no drama.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 17:28   #36

Boat: Cal-40

I bought a new Yamaha 2.5 hp and had nothing but problems with the fuel plugging the carb jets. Yes, it was fuel efficient, quieter then 2stroke, less pollution but...... it kept giving me troubles. Today that motor just takes up space in my storage locker and I’m using a 20 year old 2hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Never a problem with the much more simple 2 stroke, never going back to 4 stroke.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 17:47   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramotorgreg View Post
Thanks for all your helpful comments, however I am cruising in Greece and sourcing ethanol-free fuel isn't really an option - you can get what is available from the marina fuelling station or from the petrol stations and I assume that both contain ethanol.

The problems I have experienced sometimes occur after I have had to tilt the motor - I guess that although the tank has been emptied and cleaned at the repair there may again be dirt in the tank which is disturbed and then clogs the carburettor. I will buy a new carburettor and start using a filter when I fill the tank. Perhaps that will help.

The idea of carrying a carb cleaning kit in the dinghy for emergencies is an interesting one - but I must confess that I don't want to have to spend 15 minutes cleaning the carb when I want to get back to my boat......I just want an engine that starts reliably when I want to use it! My boat engine starts first time, every time as does my car engine. I don't want an electric engine because then I will have to find a way of charging it. What petrol-powered outboard would you recommend that i buy to get reliability?
Had quite a few different outboards over the years & Yamaha is the best I've used but only know about up to about 2012 models. I'd recommend a Japanese manufacturer
Worst were Parsun ( run a mile) & Seagull ( but you wont be buying one of them) despite the fact it's got the finest outboard in the world stamped on top.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 17:58   #38

Boat: Bristol 26'

It's the "finest outboard for the world" and I have a 1977 converted to 25:1 that starts by the second pull everytime. It's such a simple design..if you can't get a Seagull to run, you probably just aren't very mechanically inclined.
Old 15-06-2019, 18:55   #39

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I learned this too late...but if the outboard is not going to be used for a while...like a week or more...run the fuel out of the carb. With no fuel to evaporate, the carb stays clean longer. To run the fuel out, just disconnect the fuel tank hose, or shut the fuel shutoff valve/lever and continue running till the engine stops...usually about a minute (depending on the engine and setup).

This works for all small outboards, 2 and 4 stroke.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 07:24   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
How do you guys filter the fuel before putting it in the tank? ...
Mr Funnel or Baja Filter Funnel, or equal.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...es/4747-1.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 08:39   #41
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I wont run ob's with built in tanks ,anymore, not enough filtration.
Larger obs with separate tanks and in line fuel filters....

It is a simple matter to add or upgrade the in-line filter on very small outboards. I've done this a number of times. And yes, it helps!

The other problem is that the very small tanks are more vulnerable to water and phase separation. If you leave the vent open they absorb water rapidly, particularly if it rains. You have to close the vent religiously.
Old 16-06-2019, 09:22   #42

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Mr Funnel or Baja Filter Funnel, or equal.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...es/4747-1.html
Don't know what they are and probably only available in the U.S. but I recall seeing the pilots of Tiger Moth aircraft folding a chamois and placing it into an ordinary funnel to filter the fuel when refueling.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 10:06   #43

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I have a Johnson 9.9 2 stroke. Older engine. Starts and runs reliably. Two things I do:
Every evening when done for the day I disconnect the fuel hose and run it dry
And
Never ever use old fuel.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 07:23   #44

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23

I've had a good bit of trouble with small outboards, even after a carb. cleaning. One good strategy that has worked for me is to have a can of starting fluid on board. I squirt it thru the choke (with the choke open) and then quickly close or mostly close the choke and easily start the motor on those occasions where it wont start after 2-3 pulls. Works like a charm!
I also sometimes give the bulb a couple of squeezes from time to time to "boost" the fuel pump given that my tank is about 5 feet away from the motor and slightly below it. Good luck! --Ken
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:06   #45

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I've been running a Mercury 3.3, Tohotsu 3, Mariner 3, etc. for 27 years. They are all the same motor built by Tohotsu and are quite reliable and easy to service; the parts are pretty much interchangable apart from the gas tanks and cowling. My current motor is 17 years old.

Your problem is likely a dirty fuel delivery system. You must start at the fuel tank, remove it, clean it out, remove the in-tank fuel filter, clean it with carb cleaner, ditto the feed line to the carb., and lastly the carb float chamber and jets themselves.

If you fail to clean ALL the delivery system, the jets will invariably get clogged again. Also check to be sure that the gas you put in the engine is clean.

You can not buy a more reliable, lighter weight, and powerful small motor for a dinghy.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, outboard