Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 09:58   #1

Boat: '72 Grampian 26, 26'
9.8 tohatsu oil leak

I recently replaced the carburetor with a brand new one I got from Defender Marine. After I used the motor this last time it was pouring oil into the casing, but it seemed to only happen after I shut the motor off. The motor ran perfectly until that point.
I replaced the fuel pump last year and the oil does not smell of gas.

I immediately pulled the motor off the transom and into the cockpit to stop oil from getting into the water. I have not tried to start it again as I can't handle that kind of mess. I live aboard my boat don't have an on land place to put the thing, unless it goes into a shop. I can work on it in the cockpit, though.

I have worked on the old carburetor many many times, hence the new replacement, and have never had this happen. I have no idea what needs to be done to remedy it. I have a feeling it is simple, but don't know where to begin.

Thank you.
TinaLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 9.8 tohatsu oil leak

First determine oil level, if it’s real high then it pretty much has to be gasoline.
Then if it is change oil, put old carb back on and see if problem is fixed. If it is I suspect a stuck / leaking needle valve, call Defender or send them an Email, I bet they replace it, they are pretty good.

If you can hang the motor on a rail, it’s much easier to work on, but be careful about dropping things.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:51   #3

Boat: '72 Grampian 26, 26'
Re: 9.8 tohatsu oil leak

I don't have a stern rail. So I usually hang the motor from the boom and balance it on the floor in the cockpit to work on it. I will swap out the carbs tomorrow and give it a shot. I am nervous about the symptom occurring again without oil absorbers in place.
I think you're right about Defender. At least a super simple step one.
Thank you. My brain was just fried. I just got finished with a 160-mile trip up the coast yesterday and seeing all that oil at the very end...
TinaLouise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil leak