Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 05:06   #1

Boat: Lagoon 500
2009 Saildrive Diaphragm Failure

We have a pair of 2009 4JH4-TE (75 HP) Yanmars with about 1800 hours that recently had both Saildrive Diaphragm's start leaking (pic attached). We replaced both set of motor mounts recently and started noticing water in the engine room. Is there guidance on how often these should be replaced? Is this an anomaly or has anyone else experienced something similar. It is quite concerning as we had to get the boat out of the water to repair and could have been quite an issue had we not been close to a travel lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saildrive Diaphragm.jpg
Views:	1963
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	121753  
dansand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 05:59   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: 2009 Saildrive Diaphragm Failure

Mine are 12+ years old and still good.

Your motor mount project is curious. It almost looks like the diaphragm was torn, I wonder if the engines were lifted/jacked up changing the motor mounts causing the saildrive to tilt enough to tear them?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 06:02   #3
cruiser

I see yours is Yanmar. What I can tell you is that Volvo recommends a 7-year saildrive boot replacement schedule.

Now I'm sure you can push it, but we are talking about a rather large hole in your boat...
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 06:27   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I wonder if your engine mount issue did not contribute to the failure. I replaced my 13 y/o sd40s last summer. One of them had the original seal in it and it looked brand new. I had the other drive out in 2008 and replaced the seal in it. It also looked brand new. I kept it as a spare, but never needed it. If you had excessive vibration from a bad engine mount it might have caused a fatigue failure between the part of the seal held tightly against the drive and the more flexible part in the disc. It looks like that is where it failed in your photo.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 07:35   #5

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansand View Post
We have a pair of 2009 4JH4-TE (75 HP) Yanmars with about 1800 hours that recently had both Saildrive Diaphragm's start leaking (pic attached). We replaced both set of motor mounts recently and started noticing water in the engine room. Is there guidance on how often these should be replaced? Is this an anomaly or has anyone else experienced something similar. It is quite concerning as we had to get the boat out of the water to repair and could have been quite an issue had we not been close to a travel lift.
You may need to check the height level of the engine/transmission in relation to the the hull. Normally that should be a given with the standard engine foundation supplied by the engine mfgr. but it could be differnent for your situation. Rule of thumb is that the seal has no "positional force" applied to it when bolted down to the hull.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 15:53   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

My seals are 16 years old...I've got to think the engine mount replacement contributed to the seals' demise.
At least, I hope that's what did it.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:19   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Just wondering how bad was the job? Any tips or learnings for others who may need to do the same in the future?

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:08   #8

Boat: Privilege 435

I suspect that Dotdun has hit the nail on the head. These diaphragms rarely fail without some extreme external force. I suspect that whoever replaced the engine feet, forced the saildrive gearbox backwards in order to lift the engine out rather than lifting the engine forwards to disengage the pinion shaft. Either that, or the saildrive was forced to one side when reinstalling the engine.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:32   #9

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Those seals are pretty tough.

I had part of a 3GM30 piston break off at about 4 yr. I pulled the engine and took it to Mack Boring.

While waiting for the engine to be rebuilt, I went off for a short cruise, probably just a weekend. At speed under sail, that sail drive moved around quite a bit! I don't think I would do that again, but the seals for both engines are still going strong starting the 16th year.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, diaphragm, sail, saildrive