Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Why don't you stick a 9hp on the back, take the engine out and overhaul it in your garage as time/money permits. You'll learn something and eventually (over the next winter?) have the engine ready to go back in. Afterwards sell on the 9hp.
I'll second this recommendation. If you really plan to do serious cruising on the boat you'll appreciate the inboard. If you're really short on budget, unless you run into replacing major engine parts, this is the cheapest way to get it. Plus you will then know your engine inside out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:46   #17

Boat: seawind II Patience
I have had those IH on pumps & a combine yrs. ago.Yours is probably something like stopped up jets.Ran one with 10 lbs oil pressure for 12 yrs,then sold farm still running.Would try if mine to make it run & skip ob.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:48   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Why don't you stick a 9hp on the back, take the engine out and overhaul it in your garage as time/money permits. You'll learn something and eventually (over the next winter?) have the engine ready to go back in. Afterwards sell on the 9hp.
I understand the feeling with a PITA engine - If money is too tight for a rebuild at the moment then I would go with the 9 (or 9.9) outboard on a get me off the mooring (and back on!) basis, with being useful for anything longer a bonus. Plus of a smaller engine is less weight on her stern / less beefing up. If you design the bracket installation right could even later use it for dual use - to store a 9hp for a dinghy and as a back up to the inboard.

IMO sale at the moment is not an option - with a fooked engine the boat's value has been gutted. Of course that's why (at least one of the reasons?) it was cheap to buy.

Medium term I would be looking to either rebuild the engine myself at home. or in a shop by an engineer (or a bit of both).........or use the time to both save up and keep an eye out for a s/h engine in better condition at a good price (folks do upgrade "just in case" simply because an engine is old).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:16   #19

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Thanks for the great advice guys. I'll look around for an 8-10 hp outboard and in the meantime, do as much overhaul as I can myself, and maybe hire a pro to take a look when I reach a stopping point.

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2010, 22:49   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
SailorKeddy - The tools needed to disassemble and reassemble are not that extensive. You'll need a torque wrench, a good bench, a vice helps and then basic hand tools and lots of care and patience.

Get a really good manual for the engine. The first parts are bearings and head.

1 - disassemble the engine in to pieces, mark and bag everything - it will be a long time before some parts go back on.

2 - take the case, crank, rods and pistons to a machine shop with the manual. The machine shop should put the crank on a machine and measure and true up the crank. The machinist will tell you how much material he took off - important because the bearings you will buy will be "oversized" to match - this is normal.

3 - For the case the machine shop will put the bearing caps on and clean up the centerline of the engine - same thing as the crank on bearings. The case and crank are the heart of the engine. The will also hone the cylinder bores and maybe oversize them as well. They will "deck" teh surface where the head attaches to make sure it is flat.

4 - Pistons - If the cylinder bore doesn't go oversize you might be able to reuse the pistons. If not new pistons are in order. The connecting rods will be checked for journal size and roundness as well as twist. A lot of folks (me included) would simply replace the pistons and connecting rods. In the big scheme of things this isn't that expensive.

After the case work is done it is a matter of getting bearings, rings and all and assembling the bottom end. This would be phase 1.

Phase 2 is the head - You can take it all apart yourself but you need some special tools and you don't save a lot of labor. I would take the whole thing (including the parts I sourced myself) and have the machine shop do it all.

Now you have basically overhauled the engine - you decide on the accessories. lift pump, injector pump, alternator, water pump etc.

It would be a rewarding experience to have done it yourself. And a darn sight cheaper...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 18:21   #21
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
You didn't mention if you changed out the coil. Did you do a compression test?. .
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 18:53   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Nice post Dan

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, outboard