Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 20:30   #1

Boat: Lucky Penny
Florida Boat Import to British Columbia

My boat is going to be delivered by ship to victoria BC - does anyone know what Documents will be required and what taxes need to be paid...pst and gst? I am afraid I will be illegal the moment they drop the boat in the water..? I also need to know what permits I need to move the boat from FT. meyers to Ft Lauderdale. I have sent some emails to Fla Licensing but no answer yet...Do I need to hire a documentation company as my broker is suggesting?
tangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 23:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Are you a BC resident? If so you'll have to pay the BC taxes (PST). If you are going to register it you'll want to make sure the bill of sale is correct so you might contact the Department of Transport Ship Registry on that account. If you are a resident of another province you can pay at that provinces rate but you'll need to record the lat/long where you took posession and that can't be BC waters. It's good to be an Albertan at that moment in time. If you have an address there you won't have to pay PST. If it's a used boat I don't believe you'll pay PST (I didn't) but you might give Customs a call and ask about duty. Call the port of entry you will use and what they tell you will stick. If you call a port other then the one you use they won't be bound by what is said (I'm not making that up). You will need previous owners current registration information and I'm pretty sure they will have to do deregister at their end. I may have some of this wrong but it should give you some ideas of who to call and questions to ask.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 23:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I should have said you MAY have to pay the BC taxes.
Old 27-02-2010, 09:28   #4

Boat: Lucky Penny
thanks H. I like the way you say...may...have to pay taxes. Under what circumstances ...might... someone defer these costs being a BC resident? The boat is 33ys old C and L trawler assembled originally in Edmonds Washington..so I am bringing it home I guess. I will have to check Victoria as port of entry and see what they say. -I called the 1-800 # and they said pst and gst..but they dont know all about provincial tax issues and as i am sure you know, we all pay enough taxes around here and I have no issues skirting them, legally of course, if possible.
tangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My experience was interesting because I bought here in BC, where I now live, but I was still living in Alberta at the time. I took possession in US waters and didn't pay any taxes including GST. I'm surprised you have to pay GST on a used boat at the border but I looked it up and GST applies on used boats purchased out of the country but not in the country if it's a private sale, brokered or otherwise.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:56   #6

Boat: Sceptre 36
If you are a BC resident and leaving the boat in BC, there is no way out of the PST. GST also applies but no duty or customs charges if the boat was built in US. Get an Alberta address and accept delivery offshore and no PST.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia, florida, import