Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 08:57   #106

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Why. Used Seawind is so much Higher Price than Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
This is now just bickering. Time to take a deep breath and decide if you would like to continue in this vein and suffer the consequences.

Coops.
I don't believe i'm bickering in any sense, i simply posted pictures of the compared mentioned brand with what we bought for what's posted as the same money.

Seawinds are weight sensitive, watch when 8 people sit in the cockpit, i have at boat shows. I've sailed a Seawind 23 / 23 years ago and loved it BUT for the money i stand by our choice.

Today under reacher (the one in our picture) we sat on 2.5 knots in 4 knots apparent at 90deg... What more can anyone want???
Old 15-06-2013, 09:29   #107
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I don't believe i'm bickering in any sense, i simply posted pictures of the compared mentioned brand with what we bought for what's posted as the same money.

Seawinds are weight sensitive, watch when 8 people sit in the cockpit, i have at boat shows. I've sailed a Seawind 23 / 23 years ago and loved it BUT for the money i stand by our choice.

Today under reacher (the one in our picture) we sat on 2.5 knots in 4 knots apparent at 90deg... What more can anyone want???
4 knots in 4 knots apparent :-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 09:38   #108

Apoligise i should have said 2.5 in 4 knots true.
Old 15-06-2013, 10:13   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
4 knots in 4 knots apparent :-)
Which equates to 4 knots in 8knots true?
Old 15-06-2013, 10:56   #110
smj

[QUOTE="Lagoon4us;1261194"]
Which equates to 4 knots in 8knots true?[/

Depends on wind direction?
Old 15-06-2013, 15:22   #111

Quote:

What you're talking about is just personal preference. Sure a Seawind won't carry the weight a 44 foot Lagoon will. But most times, a Seawind will outsail a Lagoon.

Some people prefer sailing ability over space. I do. I would never even consider owning a Lagoon. Not for a second. 2.5 kts in 4 knots at 90' under reacher? We'd be close to 4 kts under main and jib. A reacher (if we had one) would take us slightly OVER TWS.

And yes, your Lagoon will carry more stuff than we can.

A seawind would fit somewhere in between our two boats. A different compromise, but one that would suit plenty of people.

Truth is, at sea, you're unlikely to be carrying 8 people in the cockpit. At anchor, what does it matter if the boat sits down on it's lines? We were aboard a Saewind 1250 at Huon reef for a party one night. There were 30 or so people aboard. The way the cockpit opens up into the saloon made it possible for so many people to still move around. There wouldn't be many boats around 40 feet that could do that.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 16:27   #112
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

What you're talking about is just personal preference. Sure a Seawind won't carry the weight a 44 foot Lagoon will. But most times, a Seawind will outsail a Lagoon.

Some people prefer sailing ability over space. I do. I would never even consider owning a Lagoon. Not for a second. 2.5 kts in 4 knots at 90' under reacher? We'd be close to 4 kts under main and jib. A reacher (if we had one) would take us slightly OVER TWS.

A seawind would fit somewhere in between our two boats. A different compromise, but one that would suit plenty of people.

Truth is, at sea, you're unlikely to be carrying 8 people in the cockpit. At anchor, what does it matter if the boat sits down on it's lines? We were aboard a Saewind 1250 at Huon reef for a party one night. There were 30 or so people aboard. The way the cockpit opens up into the saloon made it possible for so many people to still move around. There wouldn't be many boats around 40 feet that could do that.
Thanks that sums it up well. I've got nothing against the Lagoons, Leopards etc. just not what I'm interested in. And if I had the money to purchase a new or even used Lagoon 450 or Seawind 1160, at that price there would be quite a few other boats I would be investigating. But the open salon to cockpit of the 1160........:-)
Old 15-06-2013, 17:33   #113

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

What year is your Lagoon?

They are not all the same correct? Or am I thinking of the 420....
Old 17-06-2013, 08:53   #114

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

Quote:
Ah but the boats do compare price wise so my point was which would i rather have for similar money, a boat that is weight sensitive or a comfortable cruising home that sails quite well, well enough that very few mono's pass us....
Just saying.
The same price? Really? Only way the prices are similar is if you are comparing to a previous chartered Lagoon 440 with a Seawind 1160. If you want a cheap, beat to hell Lagoon then go for it. I'd pick the 1160 every day of the week.
Strikhedonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:02   #115

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

Here are the pictures our French friend requested:

Strikhedonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:26   #116

In Australia 3 late model seawind 1160 asking price $450-$530.

Our 2007 3cabin privately owned fully loaded hardly used Lagoon 440 with thruster, water maker, solar, navtex, centre console RIB, all electric winches, chilled water air con, forward looking sonar, dishwasher, Profurl in boom furling, 100 metres of 12mm chain,all crockery, 3months of high quality wine, 3months Marina mooring in Premium Croatian position, 12 months insurance for far below the above price quoted in this thread for a Seawind.

My point is if that's the price you guy's are entertaining then you need to look around more, a mate bought similar to mine for slightly more 8 months later and surgery wouldn't remove his smile so mnfish yes REALLY!

I have no idea why Seawinds are more expensive, i really don't.

Cheers Frank
Old 17-06-2013, 09:28   #117

Beat to hell Lagoon??????? You are opinionated without knowledge of the real market maybe you should get out more?

Cheers Frank
Old 17-06-2013, 09:30   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What year is your Lagoon?

They are not all the same correct? Or am I thinking of the 420....
2007 3 CABIN VERSION.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:32   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

You miss my point, it's the comfort choice with sailing ability, some believe Lagoon's just motor well they don't they sail quite nicely and in the real cruising world hold their own well.
Cheers
Old 17-06-2013, 10:04   #120
smj

33 Lagoon 440's on the market with asking prices from mid 300's to upper 700's. 6 Seawind 1160's on the market with asking prices from mid 300's to mid 400's. I think it's obvious that anything mass produced will probably maintain a lower value as there are plenty of them on the market. Could be other reasons as well but does it matter? It is what it is.

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon