Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 02:41   #76
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Seawind purchased Corsair and the Vietnam production facility and commenced the relocation PRIOR to the administration period, fundamentally it meant the company survived, had it not all staff would have been unemployed,(including all staff at the Corsair factory in HCMC). Its complex but simply put - the high dollar and the cost of doing business in Australia has seen many many business leave, eg Ford in Geelong.

On the viet vet issue, what can I say, my father fought in WW2 and was bombed by the Japanese but still managed to find it in himself to buy a Mazda. I served in the RAAF (and later the Reserve) and whilst I didnt serve in Vietnam I certainly did my bit in other places, but its a little like football, when its over its over move on. In any event if the Vietnamese people don't mind why should we, its not like they invaded us.

As an aside I spent time at the Long Tan memorial recently near Vung Tau, most moving thing I have done.
Last time I looked FORD was NOT an Australian company , corporate profits go to a place called the US of A so I fail to see how this is applicable . Or course the Vietnamese do not mind Seawind going over , why should they , you guys provide employment , pay taxes etc etc
Keep up the good work , by the way , presently sailing North on my FP , happen to leave Mooloolaba at the same time than an 1160 last week with a nice SSE , arrived at Wide Bay Bar over 1 and 1/4 hour ahead , but then again we were NOT racing .
Happy sailing
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 02:53   #77

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Why. Used seawind is so much higher price than lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post
Buddy,
I am FULLY aware of the Corsairs story , I do NOT need to do more research , and I have NEVER stated that I do not like Seawind ( I had one for 8 months back in 2002) and when you DO some research you will find that YES of course Management at Seawind could see HUGE benefit in building their cats over there , the cost price has dropped by a lot of $$ kk .
Having just placed an order for a 5X I do understand that each to his own when it comes to purchasing a Catamaran , horses for courses , and I shall repeat that I do think that the Seawinds are great vessels , just do not suit what I am looking for any longer .
So cheers for now .
Interestingly for the USA crowd the Seawind dealers are also now the agents selling Outremers in Australia.

Great vessel Le Doume. i would settle for a humble 49.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 03:02   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yes we should welcome La Doume to our family I guess. When will your 5X be in Australia.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 04:38   #79
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:

Buddy,
I am FULLY aware of the Corsairs story , I do NOT need to do more research , and I have NEVER stated that I do not like Seawind ( I had one for 8 months back in 2002) and when you DO some research you will find that YES of course Management at Seawind could see HUGE benefit in building their cats over there , the cost price has dropped by a lot of $$ kk .
Having just placed an order for a 5X I do understand that each to his own when it comes to purchasing a Catamaran , horses for courses , and I shall repeat that I do think that the Seawinds are great vessels , just do not suit what I am looking for any longer .
So cheers for now .
Hey Buddy, congrats on your new 5x. Really nice boat!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 04:47   #80
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Last time I looked FORD was NOT an Australian company , corporate profits go to a place called the US of A so I fail to see how this is applicable
There WERE no profits going anywhere from Ford as they weren't making any, unless they were sending overseas the massive government grants they have been receiving for years to stay operating!

For those OS that don't know, Ford has only a couple of years left manufacturing in Australia before they close down.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 06:06   #81
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Last time I looked FORD was NOT an Australian company , corporate profits go to a place called the US of A so I fail to see how this is applicable
.Irrespective of the ownership, (and Ford Australia is NRE under ASIC law - FORD MOTOR COMPANY Org No. 098 858 738) the jobs were in Geelong, not Detroit, that was the point I was attempting to make.
Quote:
presently sailing North on my FP , happen to leave Mooloolaba at the same time than an 1160 last week with a nice SSE , arrived at Wide Bay Bar over 1 and 1/4 hour ahead , but then again we were NOT racing .
Happy sailing
I would think you weren't but just for the sake of it, its what about 12 hours Pt Cartwright to the Bar - give or take, so you were say 2 and a half hours faster extrapolated for a day (24 hours). If you were racing thats really good going, cause last time I raced an 1160 against a 47 Catana with Phillipe Peche driving it with a carbon rig and everything, they were 2 and a bit hours faster over 40 hours. So if they were trying the other day, then you did very well.

Mind you I have often thought later Catanas to be a little fibby when it comes to their weight.
Old 30-05-2013, 06:53   #82

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
As a business owner in Geelong its been coming for 10 years and everone knew.

Ford did a great thing by giving everyone 3 years notice, plenty would not.
3 Lagoons in Geelong along with 2 seawinds.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 15:44   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Some rude post, and responses to them, have been removed. Most users here know that the primary rule enforce is the be nice rule. Let's keep it friendly.
Old 30-05-2013, 17:08   #84

Boat: Lightwave 45

This latest episode begs a question.

Seawinds are obtained only from multihulls in Australa. Yet I assume with all of the o/s brands there is nothing to stop anyone going to any overseas agent and bringing the boat in or having it sailed in, provided that the costs of freight and various duties and taxes are paid.

I know that many people buy a boat through the local distributor free of all on costs and then pick it up o/s and go sailing, but I assume equally they could go to any other agent throughout the world, understanding that presumedly their warranty would have to be processed throught that agent.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:52   #85

Boat: Seawind 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume

This is another Australian ICON who sadly went offshore , Seawind were great boats , and the new one built in Vietnam will probably still be , but the sad saga has been another knock on the head to LET'S BUY AUSTRALIAN , and by t he way , do try to explain to a Vietnam Vet that this was the right thing to do .

So cheers for now .

Wow, you ordered an Australian built 5X. I am very happy for you and sincerely hope it holds it's value for you, just as my Seawind has.

I think that is the crux of the true question to be answered.
Why do some catamarans retain their value better than some other brands?
Though I don't think we will get as entertaining or nefarious arguments being posted it would be interesting to see what happens, methinks...
away again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02   #86
cruiser

No sir It is NOT an Australian built Outremer 5X as there is NO such thing , it is a French Built 5X from the Outrmer factory

Cheers
Old 09-06-2013, 10:17   #87
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by away again View Post

Wow, you ordered an Australian built 5X. I am very happy for you and sincerely hope it holds it's value for you, just as my Seawind has.

I think that is the crux of the true question to be answered.
Why do some catamarans retain their value better than some other brands?
Though I don't think we will get as entertaining or nefarious arguments being posted it would be interesting to see what happens, methinks...
There may not be a " simple answer" to that question , but in my view , it is very much a matter of quality of the finish product liaised with the supply and demand market. Having made the" move" from 30 years of owning and sailing monohull s to buying a multi 3 years ago I have come to realise that it depends what one looks for when buying a Cat.
Quite a few buyers are like me from the Baby boomer generation and look for space and comfort , sleeping accommodation is paramount as well as protected helming station , so in the end the choice is not that big when one look at what is available for one's budget.
Prior to buying my present cat I did charter a Seawind 1160 out of Urangan for a week and brought it back after two days , also chartered a Lagoon from Hamilton as well as a Venezia from Hervey Bay .
Not wanting to be " Boatless" I did purchase a Lavezzi which will be ours until the end of the year at which time we shall take delivery of our new and probably last boat .
Boats are very much like cars , the minute you drive it out of the showroom the value goes down , so me me the resale value has never been a crtieria when choosing a brandy
Happy sailing
Old 09-06-2013, 23:32   #88
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No sir It is NOT an Australian built Outremer 5X as there is NO such thing , it is a French Built 5X from the Outrmer factory

Cheers
I think he was being a little sarcastic, given your comments about buying Australian, but I could be wrong
Old 10-06-2013, 02:15   #89
cruiser

Hilarious
Old 10-06-2013, 02:38   #90

Boat: Seawind 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
I think he was being a little sarcastic, given your comments about buying Australian, but I could be wrong
Feeling the luv Factor, feeling the luv.
away again is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon