Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 15:47   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Why don't people anchor closer to shore

I've noticed that people in cats who could anchor a few meters from shore anchor 30,40, 50m from a nice sandy beach.

I'd like to be closer, in shallower water.

If there aren't many boats around am I breaking some unspoken rule about hogging the beach ?
Old 22-03-2017, 15:59   #2

Re: Why don't people anchor closer to shore

We usually get in close. But having said that, there are sensible limits

You're usually anchored off a weather shore. Allowing reasonable scope, and allowing for possible wind shifts will often result in being anchored at least 50m off the beach.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:00   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

It depends on how much you value your boat. If the boat drags anchor, one has more space for it to grab again. Maybe the bottom conditions are better in deeper water. Lose sand is not desirable.

If a swimmer can get to/from the boat easily, it's easy to rob.

In a tsunami it's better to be in the deep.

Farther away from the surf is a smoother night. Weather can change during the 24 hour period. And one has to calculate for tide change.
Old 22-03-2017, 16:03   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I've noticed that people in cats who could anchor a few meters from shore anchor 30,40, 50m from a nice sandy beach.

If there aren't many boats around am I breaking some unspoken rule about hogging the beach ?
Not sure where your seeing this anchoring behavior, but cats in our area anchor as close as they can get with maybe .5 meters under the keel.

No rules for this. Put her up on shore if you want.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:26   #5

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

We anchor as close as we can but as safely as possible. As mentioned, depends on winds, tides, bottom etc.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:38   #6

-If your anchor drags in the middle of the night during a chubasco, you need time to save the boat.
-Thieves wading aboard.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:45   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

Oh, it's not going to be an "unspoken rule". Someone will come along shortly and tell you exactly where and how to anchor.

I say, anchor where you want to. If you will be going to the beach, closer is better. If I'm going to the beach, I anchor as close as I can considering the water depth and tidal changes.

If I'm not going to the beach, further away often means less problem with insects. Or if other people are on the beach, less problem with noise.

It's your boat, you are the captain. You decide where to anchor.
Old 22-03-2017, 17:05   #8

Quote:

No, you're not breaking any rules, written or otherwise. The old "Do unto others..." has been replaced with "I'm alright Jack, bugger you".

If you wish to enjoy the nice shallow draft of your Schionning by anchoring a few metres from shore it seems obvious that there will an offshore wind. By implication, a wind shift may see you grounded. Perhaps not a problem for a lunch stop, but probably not a good idea for an overnight anchorage. Drying out on the beach is fine, IF the incoming tide isn't accompanied with steep waves.

When overnighting we try to allow for a 360 degree swing on adequate scope, not assuming that other vessels will similarly swing. This usually precludes being only a few metres from a beach.

My biggest bitch is the "old school mariner" who hogs the popular anchorage by dropping the old plow and 60 metres of chain in 4 metres of high tide water with less than 10 knots forecast for the next week. He and the missus share foredeck duties, waving and shouting "Avast!" at all who venture within a mile.

I won't stir the pot by mentioning the usual vessel of choice of the "old school". Leave that for other threads.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:07   #9

Boat: between boats

Your from QLD - mossies mate!

That said how are you going to anchor a few meters off the beach? if its onshore then i would err on the side of caution if anchoring overnight and leave some room. If its offshore you need a stern line and thats more hassel than swimming in 20 or 30 meters unless your planning on staying awhile.

We anchor with stern lines ashore in the med pretty often and wind up a few meters off rocky coves etc, beaches less often but its more to do with limited alternatives ie small bays with deep water (and courtesy when its busy - one bay that holds 3 free swingers can often take 9 or 10 stern tied)
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:54   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Noseeums. And mosquitoes. And you never know a wind shift in a squall might put you on the beach.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-03-2017, 18:13   #11

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Do some research on why so many boats wrecked on Cabo years ago.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:19   #12

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Noseeums. And mosquitoes.

SNIP
This was my first thought. Based on experience.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:23   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I'm a beach dweller!

Going into a new anchorage I will drop the pick with the Back of the Pack mob. But next day I will wriggle in as far as I can and then if some closer boat plucks pick i am right in there like a rat up a drainpipe.

Each boat has its own preferential spot: up front, down the back or in the middle cluster. Its just what's comfortable for you.

Yes, obviously reversing wind, tides etc needs to be taken into account but you have a brain so work out how close you can get comfortably.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:49   #14

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:

Easy Answer on this.

Predict Wind... or any other Forecast is never really that acurate.

A wind change is only a matter of timing from being near the beach to being ON THE BEACH.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 19:35   #15

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Here in the PNW, shallow water typically has much more weed than deeper water. Some areas have an eelgrass protection zone with (voluntary) no anchor zones from the beach to about the 20 foot (low tide) depth contour.

That said, It is rare that I am not able to 'sneak' past the masses of boats and anchor close to shore. There are times when (theoretically) I will have zero clearance from the keel to the bottom at max low tide (Panope draws 4 feet). Having the boat settle on a rock or the anchor itself poses a risk of chipping some paint.

Very few catamarans exist around here, but plenty of (relatively) shallow draft power boats are present. I recon the typical 'exposed' running gear of these craft spook their skippers out into the deep.

Steve

The choice spots are well worth a bit of risk:
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor