Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 23:50   #976
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Beautiful Plumage the Norwegian Blue, sadly it can't fly to windward
Old 11-02-2016, 01:19   #977
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I cannot believe that this thread has lasted a 1000 posts to prove that "the cats don't motor nearly 100 %". I am probably sailing more than anybodyelse here not only for pleausure but also as a part of my business, mostly in Turkish coasts and Dodocanese islands. Regardless whether it's a mono or cat , I see 80-90 % of boats motoring even with favourable winds not to mention upwind sailing. I've asked myself many time the question "why the hell these people are buying a sail boat ?"
Most of the mono's and increasingly are carrying a "senseless" furling main which doesn't do any good anyway. (by the way, some cat manufacturers also are now offering a furling main sail option which to me is stupid..) Most mono's have huge genoas (130-140 %) that at most they unfurl a bit and moving somehow using also their engines most of the time.
The ones who try to get everything possible out of any breeze are live aboards or people with limited budget trying to save the max from the fuel expenses.
Charter customers are motoring a lot and I know by the quantities of refueling when they are back to our base and I can understand this to certain extend. For cruisers, it's hard to understand, I prefer sailing at 3 kts rather than motoring at 6 kts.
And if you are in hurry, there even faster ways of doing it..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 11-02-2016, 02:04   #978
med

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I've asked myself many time the question "why the hell these people are buying a sail boat ?"
May because a sailboat in many senses makes a better motorboat than most motorboats.

Northwest Passage 2014: Sailboat v Motorboat - FIRST decide what is important to YOU - after all - you will be spending many hours aboard
Old 11-02-2016, 02:52   #979
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I cannot believe that this thread has lasted a 1000 posts to prove that "the cats don't motor nearly 100 %". I am probably sailing more than anybodyelse here not only for pleausure but also as a part of my business, mostly in Turkish coasts and Dodocanese islands. Regardless whether it's a mono or cat , I see 80-90 % of boats motoring even with favourable winds not to mention upwind sailing. I've asked myself many time the question "why the hell these people are buying a sail boat ?"
Most of the mono's and increasingly are carrying a "senseless" furling main which doesn't do any good anyway. (by the way, some cat manufacturers also are now offering a furling main sail option which to me is stupid..) Most mono's have huge genoas (130-140 %) that at most they unfurl a bit and moving somehow using also their engines most of the time.
The ones who try to get everything possible out of any breeze are live aboards or people with limited budget trying to save the max from the fuel expenses.
Charter customers are motoring a lot and I know by the quantities of refueling when they are back to our base and I can understand this to certain extend. For cruisers, it's hard to understand, I prefer sailing at 3 kts rather than motoring at 6 kts.
And if you are in hurry, there even faster ways of doing it..

Cheers

Yeloya

Exactly Yeloya. Maybe it's time for a thread title change. 'Why do yachts motor nearly 100% of the time to windward'
Old 11-02-2016, 02:53   #980
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
Could be, but at least for Turks I can say that many of them are buying a sail boat as a matter of status; they are ashamed of saying that they own a motorboat.. Sailboat sounds more trendy, sexy and sporty.. Who cares whether they sail or not..
Cheers

Yeloya
Old 11-02-2016, 03:41   #981

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241
Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Last December (2015) we were holed up with some 20 plus boats at Inskip Point waiting for a window to head south over the Wide Bay Bar. On the 9th December after 5 days of strong winds everybody headed out to the bar at 5am. Multihulls & Monohulls, big & small. As far as I could see, every boat that day was motor sailing to be able to make it down to Mooloolaba & beyond in daylight.

So I guess I could say "why does every sail boat (multi & mono) motor 100% of the time". Go figure!

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
Old 11-02-2016, 08:05   #982
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
That is a misquote as well. most people think that Decartes said "I think therefore I am" what he really said was "Poto ergo sum" - I drink therefore I am.
"Cogito ergo spud" ("I think I'd like fries with that.")
-Descartes
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 11-02-2016, 11:58   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Exactly Yeloya. Maybe it's time for a thread title change. 'Why do yachts motor nearly 100% of the time to windward'
Well I did ask why monohulls even have sails. Never received a satisfactory answer.

I think they're for decorative purposes.

John McEnroe
Old 20-02-2016, 20:50   #984

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Backwards, forwards, upwind, downwind and around the topic has been discussed. With some actual good information.

However, all good things must come to a close, and as such, this thread is done.

Closed.

Now go play nicely, boys and girls. Better yet, go sailing.

Tags
catamaran, motor