Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 18:14   #946
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

That vid looks pretty typical of monos motoring upwind in good sailing conditions. Whenever I see them porpoising over the waves and burying the bows I think...why the hell aren't they sailing? Making 3-4kn upwind, burning fuel and having a crappy ride to boot. Really I'm sure most of them could have a much better VMG if they bothered raising the bloody sails. I know we do. Motor into 30 knots? You gotta be kidding! Btw the seastate looks pretty calm for 30kn. Here's a vid of a sail we had the other day, 40kn upwind, no problem 🍻
http://youtu.be/EBpjaJkbMQ0
Old 09-02-2016, 18:19   #947
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Dear Monte, have you not been paying attention, you can't sail upwind in a cat, you must motor and anyway at 40 knots you will flip over and sink. I wish you people would listen to the experts on this forum.
Old 09-02-2016, 18:31   #948
cruiser

How in the world do a couple of you Cat owners you manage to climb through a companionway with that huge "chip on your shoulder?" Only three or four owners to be precise.

The rest of the Cat owners seem quite satisfied and confident with their boats.
Old 09-02-2016, 18:38   #949
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
How in the world do a couple of you Cat owners you manage to climb through a companionway with that huge "chip on your shoulder?" Only three or four owners to be precise.

No chip on the shoulder, but I may laugh myself down the companionway steps seeing how you started the "catamaran motors 100% of the time" and you are the absolute motoring queen! My apologies.......my catamaran doesn't have companionway steps.
In one of your earlier threads you stated that maybe a power catamaran would be in your future? Good choice!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-02-2016, 18:49   #950
cruiser

Palarran, Factor, smj and 44cruisingcat.... Four peas in a pod.
Old 09-02-2016, 18:50   #951

Quote:
You have an extremely short memory. Read post #930. You wrote just two long days ago.... Remember? If you can't remember, please feel free to scroll up a handful of posts.

Really? Do I even MENTION wanting to see a video? I simply stated a FACT. The video you posted was not the one you had described.

Seriously, you wonder why some people might wonder if you're perhaps being a bit liberal with the truth?

John McEnroe
Old 09-02-2016, 18:52   #952

Quote:

And yet you're the one who claimed he was considering buying a different boat.... even went for a test sail, apparently...

No difficulty with companionways on cat's Ken. We have a nice big door, 2m x 1.2 metres between our cockpit and our saloon. Most cat's have equally easy access.

Funny, I'd have thought you'd have noticed that when you did your test sail....

John McEnroe
Old 09-02-2016, 19:10   #953
smj

Quote:

Happy motoring Kenomac!

Old 09-02-2016, 19:34   #954
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac
Well, yesterday was the first day in over four years where we got caught out in bad weather which lasted for more than 9 hours. We tried our best to make the right decisions to avoid most of it, but it was worse out there than forecast. Instead of a ten hour crossing in fairly nice weather which would have put us in a windy achorage, then had us starting out the day in a lousy tired situation, we carried on and ended up hitting 35-40 knots right on the nose for five hours... Then a continuous 25-35 for maybe another five hours. Twenty hours total, got in at 2am.

Our boat was a submarine at times.... i wouldn't have wanted to be on a catamaran during any of that. Or on many costal cruiser monos either. Eventually our luck ran out, but other than a shredded American flag... No worries, no problems.

Quote:
How does YOUR boat handle heading directly into force 8? Sustained 35-40 knots, 15-18 foot choppy seas. When I get to a wifi spot, maybe I can download a video of the encounter we had, wet on the outside clipped in and wearing a harness life vest, dry on the inside, no worries about safety and my wife casually reading a book in the cockpit up until she gets doused by a wave. That part will need to be edited due to the language content. :-)

We were able to make 3-4 knots of headway, which surprised us. Can your cat make headway in those condition? My inquiring mind would like to know.

Heck yes, everyone can if we run our motors!!

Quote:
While crossing the Strait of Bonifacio in late September 2015 on our Oyster 53 sailing yacht, we encountered Force 9.5 sustained (40-50 knot) winds and 20-25 foot (7-8 meter) seas. We expected 38 knots while threading the needle between two storm fronts, but instead... we got a little more.

Since the seas were going to be behind us or broadside, we had only our main sail up furled to less than 25%, and chose to have the staysail ready but to not use it unless we absolutely needed to do so. Our staysail furling line had issues and it was somewhat doubtful that I'd be able to furl in the sail. The 100hp Yanmar engine was running at 2200rpm (40-50hp) mainly to aid with steering. Mostly, we were surfing.

The Strait of Bonifacio is the passage between Corsica and Sardinia in the Mediterranean Sea.
Well Ken, I was wrong and we did get to see the video. It really is a good one so thanks for making it and finally posting here.

Of course you know that it makes me wonder though right? In your first post you said the wind was directly on the nose and your boat was a submarine in F8 winds (apparent or true?). Then your in 15 to 18 foot seas and surprised about making 3 to 4 knots of headway. Then it became a F9.5 SUSTAINED (didn't know the scale goes in half increments) with 20 to 25 foot waves and your boat is surfing (downwind?). Then at last you quite honestly post that during all this your motor was running at 2200 RPM's.

This all makes me fully understand why you think catamarans motor 100% of the time - you naturally exaggerate observations by 50%. So really, you have observed catamarans motoring half the time in the Western Med - yes, I agree and that is probably what we averaged.

Quote:
Over the next couple of days I'll post the correct video of my wife reading while we're motoring into 30-35 knot winds on that particular day. It's very short and kinda funny. I knew you'd catch me on the details.
Quote:
Like I promised, here's the video of us motoring directly into a constant 30 knot wind back in July 2015 on our way from Elba, Italy to Portisco, Sardinia. We are making 5 knots into 30 knots of wind. As we motored into the evening (it got dark maybe two hours later), the wind increased to a steady 35 knots and our forward speed slowed to three knots. The waves are maybe 6-8ft or so in the video and increased to maybe 10-12 ft later in the evening, but very choppy with a short period.

If you guys don't believe the wind speed, just pause the video as the camera passes the wind speed indicator each time.

Sorry, no video when the wind speed increased.... it was night time.... dark outside.

Ken
Quote:
As I recall.... You were the one who originally questioned my honesty and the existence of the video.

Please watch the video again whilst you enjoy your crow sandwich.
Really, it is incredible that you can't connect any of your previous posts dots. Go back and re-read your own actual words. You stated at first that the wave heights in the NOW second video were 15 to 18'. You also said the wind was strongest first (35 to 40), then died down to 25 to 30. Now you've reversed that. No mention in your first post that you were motoring either.

So you keep getting your story wrong, exaggerating the situation, and then think I should eat crow - NO.
Old 09-02-2016, 19:46   #955
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Well Ken, I was wrong and we did get to see the video. It really is a good one so thanks for making it and finally posting here.
Palarran,

I'm going to go back to the kind words you wrote here in this post and disregard and forget all the argument nonesense between us and call a truce.

Ken
Old 09-02-2016, 19:58   #956
smj

Quote:
Palarran,

I'm going to go back to the kind words you wrote here in this post and disregard and forget all the argument nonesense between us and call a truce.

Ken

Convenient to call a truce when you are spewing nonsense.

Old 09-02-2016, 21:26   #957
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Kenomac and Polux, two peas in a pod
Old 10-02-2016, 03:22   #958
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Make no mistake, there are other cat owners who share the views of SMJ, 44C, Palarran, Factor and Monte but who have now refused to contribute to a thread which was started, as evidenced by the title, as a provocation to catamaran owners. Yeah, that's right, cats motor nearly 100% of the time. I mean, how does one 'debate' such an obviously ignorant, inflammatory statement with those who support it?

And it is a statement, not a legitimate question. It states as a fact that cats motor nearly 100% of the time - something which is demonstrably untrue (are they motoring across oceans)? Its like asking someone - 'why is your wife such an ugly bitch'? Actually, it is worse than that - someone's wife may actually suit that description, but cats clealy don't motor nealy 100% of the time. A more apt comparison might be "Why are nearly 100% of visible minorities less intelligent than white people'!

I, for one, refuse to debate with bigots.

Brad
Old 10-02-2016, 04:47   #959
CLOD

Boat: none

I think maybe a bunch of you have been out in the wind/snow/sun/moon too long and are going crazy.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52   #960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Make no mistake, there are other cat owners who share the views of SMJ, 44C, Palarran, Factor and Monte but who have now refused to contribute to a thread which was started, as evidenced by the title, as a provocation to catamaran owners. Yeah, that's right, cats motor nearly 100% of the time. I mean, how does one 'debate' such an obviously ignorant, inflammatory statement with those who support it?

And it is a statement, not a legitimate question. It states as a fact that cats motor nearly 100% of the time - something which is demonstrably untrue (are they motoring across oceans)? Its like asking someone - 'why is your wife such an ugly bitch'? Actually, it is worse than that - someone's wife may actually suit that description, but cats clealy don't motor nealy 100% of the time. A more apt comparison might be "Why are nearly 100% of visible minorities less intelligent than white people'!

I, for one, refuse to debate with bigots.

Brad
Well said Brad.

For someone who seems to get so upset about being called a liar, he certainly doesn't mind doing it to other people.

Which, by refusing to retract or change his question, is exactly what he is doing to those of us who have simply said - and proven - that we don't motor nearly 100% of the time.

And then, almost comically, he posts videos of his boat motoring 100% of the time! And in favourable sailing conditions in one of them at least!

Were we supposed to be impressed? He seemed to get angry when, rather than falling about swooning, we fell about laughing instead!

Is this thread the Potomac calling the kettlemarans black?

John McEnroe
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor