Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 07:50   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Where to store your..

a. Liquor
b. Gas for dinghy

I have a lagoon 380, lots of storage, but not sure where to store gas can that is full. I don't want it in a locker that has connection to the boat if possible, I don't want vapor building up for obvious reasons.

Glass bottles are an issue on boats. I have banned beer in bottles, but unless I want to empty spirits into plastic containers, you can't buy liquor that way. Nor wine, unless I go with wine in a box (which I do buy for home at times, but not so good for the boat).

Hoping someone has made a liquor rack, or knows of a place to keep stuff cool.

This is a repeat of a post on yahoo lagoon forums, hoping to get some more opinions as it's not just lagoon owners that have this issue
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Where to store your..

I carry liquor, beer and wine bottles on my rolly mono, I thought you could leave full glasses out on tables on a Cat?

Beer in a can is well, it's just not Beer OK? I keep mine in the box, then cut the top off of the box and into the fridge it goes. IP comes with a wine and liquor cabinet, behind the table when the table is raised, we do wrap them in felt to cut down on noise when the weather isn't perfect.
Surely even a drawer could hold lots of of wine and liquor?
We have a bunch of plastic wine glasses, regular plastic drinking glasses etc., but I think we won't buy anymore, I don't see glass as being a problem myself, and I dislike plastic.
The odd exception being a Solo cup, I like them.

Gas, outside, there is no other option, unless you have a vapor proof area for that, but usually the dink is so stingy, I get by with just it's 3 gl can and hit a fuel dock when necessary so I'm not usually carrying gasoline, but when I do, it's in a red gas can tied to my lifelines.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to store your..

I assume your dinghy is on davits.. being a Lagoon..
Why not leave it in the dinghy ..
Also.. I thought cats were so stable that nothing.. even full coffee cups on the table moved.. or quit drinking.. its making you paranoid.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 09:11   #4

Not sure where you are but lots of liquor comes in plastic bottles. Likewise, box wine works well, especially if you only have a glass here and there as it keeps the air away from it. Nice trick if you have a small fridge and like chilled wines, is to pull the bag out of the box and the wine can be crammed in oddly shaped spaces in the fridge. We keep the home brew (in glass bottles) in one of the back cabins on our Gemini. The cabin was converted to a pantry and the box just sits on the platform where the matress used to be. It's shown no signs of problem.

Gas: we have two options, we have a couple of bottom vented hatches on the back deck. They vent to the bridge deck so any fumes or leaks would flow out between the hulls and away from the boat. When we've needed additional range, we've tied off some 5 gal jugs on the back deck outside the cockpit. Again, no signs they ever wanted to go anywhere and being outside the cockpit, any fumes or leaks would go overboard.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:19   #5

We carry spare fuel in plastic jerrycans in our aft lockers. These are self-draining lockers, completely separate from the inside of the boat and are basically where we keep wet/smelly stuff, like fuel and garbage. Being aft of the accommodation, they're downwind of us when we're anchored, so no smells get into the boat.

We carry bottles of wine, spirits etc, don't really see the issue there.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:04   #6

Spare gas (propane or LP) can be safely secured in the L380 front locker, which is drained.

Bottles of alcoholic beverages can always be stored. Especially on a Lagoon. No buts, no exceptions, no equivactions. Isn't that really why you bought a Lagoon?

Bottles are what must be stored. Glass bottles. Drinking beer out of anything other than bottles is very poor form! Not what you bought a Lagoon for. (Ok, wooden beer kegs are good too, but a bit of a stretch on anything smaller than a L450 with a 6 t payload.)
Canned beer is for desperate times such as life rafts, capsizes or being marooned in uncivilised countries. If you are drinking water from foil sachets then consider canned beer. Otherwise keep things civilised.

Wine is meant to be stored and consumed from glass bottles. There should be laws. There probably is an EU or EC edict if it can be found. Life is too short to drink wine from boxes, bladders or plastic containers. Economise by buying plastic anchors, Chinese outboards, used batteries, etc. instead.

A liquor cabinet is supplied on Lagoon catamarans for BOTTLES currently being consumed and with care, spare bottles can be safely stowed under floor boards. Being below waterline this allows the most stable temperature for wine bottle cellering. This important design feature should be utilised to the full! Heck, some catamaran designs don't even have the ability to store wine below the waterline.

Take care to pack with foam or cloth between bottles. We contain bottles in insulated cooler bags under the floor and insure that through hull valves are unhindered.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote