Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48   #16

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
mbu745,

Make sure there is no bottom paint on the transducer. If so, scrap it off with a wooden paint stick or tongue depressor.

Make sure never to turn on your depth transducer when on the hard, because they over heat in just minutes and will have to be replaced (Happens a lot).

Check for loose wires.

If all checks out then change the depth transducer.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 17:18   #17

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Make sure never to turn on your depth transducer when on the hard, because they over heat in just minutes and will have to be replaced (Happens a lot)....
I'm sure that is good advise. I wonder if there is some specific transducer type that is vulnerable to that kind of damage though since on multiple boats with different xducers I, in my ignorance, have often left them on while on the hard without any noticeable ill effects.

Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 15:03   #18

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I have a Innerphase Forward looking depth finder/sonar and the Raymarine ST50. The only problem is the installation by the Factory(Raymarine unit) and the Forward looking unit was probably done after the boat left the factory because the displays are on the wrong side of the helm/dash. The port transducer is displayed on the stbd instrument on the dash and the Stbd depth is displayed on the Port side instrument. I always have to remind myself that in tight situations.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 02:49   #19

We put two in our cat and it is most helpful. One is a Garmin the other a Navman. The Garmin performs better. I think they're the same frequency....we have to turn the Navman on first then the Garmin in order for both to read. The other way around the Navman doesn't want to read.

One thing that might help someone....we ordered the Garmin fishfinder and extension cable in from over-seas. The Airmar cable did not match the Garmin's factory fitting so we cut it off and splice together....wouldn't work. Ended up figuring out the transom mount transducer (included in the package) had to wired into the system. So just wired it in behind the helm. Doesn't do anything other then tell you the air temp, but what-ever is in that transom mount transducer is needed to make it work.

Best - J
svtankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote