Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2021, 04:42   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: The Virgin Island's are open for business!!

The BVI posted an exclusion zone, and that has nothing to do with the UNCLOS right of innocent passage. But they should not have done what they did with fining, impounding and arresting sailors who inadvertantly crossed that line.
I have been keeping my boats in the BVI for 15 years and this last trip a couple of months ago where I had to wait 3 weeks to get permission to leave (you can't just clear out anymore, you need a pre-authorization from an office in Road Town to go to immigration!) and that wouldn't have happened if I hadn't gotten frustrated and cc'd my consul in the BVI on the mail traffic. Then I had 2 hours to go to immigration to clear out and then had to leave in miserable weather. The PCR test rules, chaotic bureaucracy and random fees (which always increase, never decrease) and when they can't charge more they come up with new ways of separating you from your cash.

I have found a new permanent home for my boat and doubt that I will be returning.
Old 07-11-2021, 13:55   #17

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

The BVI's rates as the worse check in I have ever experienced after checking into nearly 70 countries over the past 20 years. That was before covid was even heard of.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:41   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440

well it looks like I got a conversation going nonetheless.
A few things:
Yes-I heard that a vessel was impounded. Terribly unfortunate and unnecessary and seemed to have been made an example of. C19 is real and A LOT of fear has been surrounding it. I don't have anything more to say about that-it happened and that sucks.
Moving forward what can I do but deal with today...
It was a month before C19 when we bought our boat and couldn't even see it for a year and a half. That said we were excited to finally see her last June. Then in October we had a pretty decent experience that was, YES, laden with bureaucracy though doable. YES, a PITA, but we did it, twice, and even went back and forth to the USVI's without really any issues. This is why I report since I know I am not alone with needing and or wanting to return to the BVI. It is SCUBA and sailing mecca and have been returning now for 15 years. This last trip I had the BEST diving of my life!
that said...
My wife called BCBS and requested a "C19 insurance" form stating that we had insurance. This we uploaded on to the portal (June) and last time when we went through it there was an option to buy insurance that seemed pretty inexpensive. I do know that when the insurance document came it didn't have our name on it. My wife used Adobe to add our names. Looking at the portals in both USVI and BVI I don't see that this is something that needs to be uploaded and I don't' recall anyone asking for it in October but it was required for submission in last June. I still have the form but don't recall being asked for it in any portals or ports.
I am vaccinated and know that if you want to leave your house this is going to be required. I don't care about politics, where and who started C19. I retired as a Firefighter and Paramedic last month and know ALL about the BS surrounding this pandemic. This is the USA and you can do what you want - kinda... I'll do what I have to, to make my traveling life easier. I will not discuss non-vaccinated issues, it's your choice, choice comes with consequences; so is life. If you are vaccinated this process is MUCH easier. Good luck in life today without vaccination...
I fly in to STT because it's like a third of the cost than flying in to EIS. I am in my 50's and am very fit and can deal with traveling via multiple flights, ferries, taxis, walking with 100's of lbs of gear and parts, and a little amount of clothing. Bring half the clothes and twice the money...well maybe three times the money these days that you think you need. YES, it's an F-ing PITA, but doable for my wife and I. I would NOT, put my 76 yo mother through this. One , I couldn't deal with her on my 15 yo boat but two, she's just too old. Need I refer to my choices comment?
Coming back to the USVI you'll need a C19 test, I use JVD clinic since they are super nice and it's easier. Since the BVI is considered "international travel" you'll need your test 3 days prior to leaving. BVI requires 5 days, this is confusing. When I returned from the USVI I applied to the BVI portal, signed up for testing at the West End (only place for private vessels) Took a ball in West End, dinghied over to customs/ferry dock, went through all the BS, told them I was a first timer and they were super nice. I timed this such that I was able to use my test for return within three days to the USVI via ferry. We sailed around for three days and returned using Native Son. Double customs is even more of a pain. Once when you get off ferry and again when you get to STT. I go HOURS early and just deal. Next trip I'll be looking in to either a BVI SIM cell phone card or switching to AT&T. Verizon doesn't offer an international plan that is usable in the BVI. My buddies had AT&T and using their "hot spot" could sign on and do all the needed portal BS or you could get wifi but needed on the spot service at times and could have been super expensive with Verizon...FYI.
At any rate, I will return again in May for 6 weeks. Is this worth it for a 5-10 day vacation - F NO! Is this what I'm willing to do until I can cruise fulltime and attempt to get repairs paid for since my boat is in a charter fleet traveling to the USVI to get cheaper parts and labor, YUP!
Safe travels to you-
I feel fortunate that my wife and I with a few willing friends can still leave our homes let alone the country to have some semblance of a life outside of all this. I wake up every day and feel blessed that my HP gave me another day. I hope this finds you healthy and this terrible time doesn't touch you as harshly as it has others. To those who know what I mean when I say this, "I'll take another 24!"

you can find more at my website here, let me know if you would like to join us in the future - J Gras www.sailingscubaadventures.com
Old 10-11-2021, 10:03   #19

Thanks for the first hand account sailmontana, we will be there 25 days starting mid-December. Hopefully it will be worth our while. We are seasoned Covid travelers though and don't get our feathers ruffled as easily as others.
Old 10-11-2021, 14:50   #20

One of my new resolutions, is to only travel to places that act like they actually want visitors. I’m not sure the BVI’s pass that test.
Old 10-11-2021, 15:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
One of my new resolutions, is to only travel to places that act like they actually want visitors. I’m not sure the BVI’s pass that test.
So where exactly in the entire world is that these days? Asking for a friend…
Old 10-11-2021, 15:30   #22

Boat: Bateau FS17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Your friend is not welcome, But you seem nice enough......
Old 12-11-2021, 04:20   #23

Quote:
I'd rather not say. My favorite cruising grounds are getting crowded enough in the last ten years!
Old 12-11-2021, 04:33   #24

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
One thing we have learned from all of this is that “emergency “ COVID rules supersede any other laws, traditions, treaties, or constitutions, and common sense.

There finally seems to be some pushback growing, so the next few months should be interesting.
Yup, a bad case of the flu and we should all desire to give up all human and civil rights. Yup
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 12-11-2021, 04:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Yup, a bad case of the flu and we should all desire to give up all human and civil rights. Yup
My healthy 70 year old uncle and 68 year old cousin gave up their life last year to “just a bad case of the flu”. Thanks for letting me know it’s no big deal and nothing we should be worried about, I’ll let my uncle’s 4 year old granddaughter know at Thanksgiving here in a couple weeks.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:09   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

From what I understand PR does NOT require or ask for vaccination but requires PCR testing.

Apparently St Martin is pretty open for vaccinated travelers.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:15   #27

Quote:
My healthy 70 year old uncle and 68 year old cousin gave up their life last year to “just a bad case of the flu”. Thanks for letting me know it’s no big deal and nothing we should be worried about, I’ll let my uncle’s 4 year old granddaughter know at Thanksgiving here in a couple weeks.
We've had more opioid overdoses in my state than Covid deaths in the last four years (including my 21 year old nephew, a 4.0 college engineering student in his fourth year).

It would sure be nice if we decided to throw out all of the constitutional protections for drug dealers to get rid of that problem, the way we have to combat Covid.. But, somehow, I bet that wouldn't go over so good.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:20   #28
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
a bad case of the flu and we should all desire to give up all human and civil rights.

once a government gets a taste of covid authoritarianism .. they don't willingly give it up
Old 12-11-2021, 06:16   #29

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Sorry for your loss, but since you shared that loss with us I feel I need to point out that EVERY year people die of the flu. More die when it is a "bad case".
I don't think you should explain that to your 4 yr. old cousin. It would probably cause more grief then it alleviates.
Carry On.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:27   #30

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

ROAM is currently not an option for checking into the USVI. Governor Bryan asked CBP to block the USVIs so that people would check-in in-person and show their travel portal papers to the National Guard. We are vaccinated in the USVI, so the travel portal does not force us to get COVID tests to enter the USVI. When we checked in from St. Lucia they did not want to see our negative COVID results.

I hope the BVIs open for charter vessels soon. The USVI anchorages were mobbed last winter.

Cheers, RickG
Closed Thread

Tags
Virgin Islands