Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 10:42   #1

Semmes Yachting, broker in Annapolis. BEWARE!

Be extraordinarily careful if you are doing a transaction with this company. In my experience they are COMPLETELY UNETHICAL and definitely not to be trusted. I made an offer on a Lagoon 50 that they listed. The offer was accepted and signed by their client. A few hours later they advised me that the dinghy and life raft were not included in the sale. At no time during the negotiation or paperwork was this disclosed. There were no exclusions posted in the listing. There were numerous pictures of the dinghy in the listing. They had the audacity to claim that because the tender was not specifically listed on the inventory that it did not have to be included.

At best, they are incompetent. More likely they are completely unethical. BEWARE!
LuckyDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:38   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Semmes Yachting, broker in Annapolis. BEWARE!

Sorry, but the equipment list, not the photos, governs.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:59   #3

If we're going to get technical, as a matter of contract law, that is not correct. But setting the minutae aside an ethical seller doesn't hide exclusions. I'm sure they aren't the first(or last) broker to operate in a shady manner. My purpose in posting this is not to debate this, but to let the community know that if you're going to deal with these people BE CAREFUL and don't expect them to be honorable.
LuckyDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 13:19   #4

Boat: J-24; J-105

Haphazardly and Hurriedly bashing any company on the internet is the new norm these day. Just because a dinghy is in a photo does not make it a photo of the dinghy. As previously mentioned the equipment list should be reviewed thoroughly, before making an offer. Most folks also inspect the boat, get a survey, maybe even sea trial. Dont try to ruin someone's profession because you did not do your homework. That is unethical.

Dont Forget, Sailing is fun! Buying a boat can be stressful but you are doing it so you can have fun. Now go shop for a new or used dinghy and a new liferaft so you can go have FUN!
Wannabes00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 13:53   #5

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

I tend towards LuckyDog's position. If you see a picture of something advertised for sale, and then after the sale the contents of the picture have changed, - why isn't that a breach of trust and the Truth in Advertising Law?

B
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 13:56   #6

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Come on! A dinghy and a life raft is low figures to the price of a Lagoon 50.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:03   #7

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

If you buy a house do you expect the furniture, rugs, drapes, towels, utensiles. pots, pans, etc to go with it? Only what is listed in the sale contract is what is being sold. Shame on the broker only for not pointing out the obvious of dinghy and raft not included. Most people would not think they were included unless specifically listed as such. Shame on you for bashing a business that has done nothing wrong in this instance.

Is the boat tied to a dock in the pictures? Why not complain about the dock not being included?
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:05   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
Come on! A dinghy and a life raft is low figures to the price of a Lagoon 50.
That depends on the dinghy and life raft. A new console dinghy with a 60hp outboard can run nearly $20,000. A large 8 person ocean life raft another $10,000... $30,000 is not insignificant.

Granted, the dingy and life raft are likely valued at half that, but still..
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
That depends on the dinghy and life raft. A new console dinghy with a 60hp outboard can run nearly $20,000. A large 8 person ocean life raft another $10,000... $30,000 is not insignificant.

Granted, the dingy and life raft are likely valued at half that, but still..
All the more reason for the buyer to clarify with the broker if included or not in the sale instead of assuming they are included because they were in a picture. How hard would it have been to simply ask if they are included versus let's go out of our way to bash the broker on a forum?
Old 08-03-2022, 14:20   #10

Boat: Beneteau

Another poster that wishes to blame their own omission on the other party. If neither was included in the equipment list it's not to be assured that they are included. This is not the case of an unethical broker but the ass/u/me rule.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:22   #11

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog63 View Post
Be extraordinarily careful if you are doing a transaction with this company. In my experience they are COMPLETELY UNETHICAL and definitely not to be trusted. I made an offer on a Lagoon 50 that they listed. The offer was accepted and signed by their client. A few hours later they advised me that the dinghy and life raft were not included in the sale. At no time during the negotiation or paperwork was this disclosed. There were no exclusions posted in the listing. There were numerous pictures of the dinghy in the listing. They had the audacity to claim that because the tender was not specifically listed on the inventory that it did not have to be included.

At best, they are incompetent. More likely they are completely unethical. BEWARE!
Anything else in the pictures not included? Some cars, a dock, etc?
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:22   #12

It was said already but the equipment list governs, not a photo. When you sign a purchase contract the broker should make the buyer sign and initial each page of the equipment list and this is normally included as “Exhibit A.” In the purchase contract.This list clearly states what the seller is selling and the buyer is buying at the time the offer is submitted. Both buyer and seller should initial each page.

Having said that a broker to be clear should have in the listing that xxxx is excluded in the sale and doesn’t convey.
CaptJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:24   #13

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I was selling my Tartan myself. A buyer was using David Haupt, Yacht Brokers International (YBI) of Green brook NJ for a broker. That broker wrote into the contract that he was representing me and that if I sold the boat to anyone, even someone he didn't bring to the deal, that I owed him a 10% commission. It also stated that he controlled the listing from then forward 12mo. and any changes had to be approved by him. I didn't sign that and sent him a standard P&S from the yacht brokers association of America, YBAA. He reused to sign that and the deal fell through... He just wanted to rope me into paying him for any sale of my boat. I don't even think his buyer was real as they came with a full price offer and I bet they would have backed out after I signed his contract and I would have been on the hook to pay him 10%. It's likely a scam he was running on a bunch of "for sale by owner" boats and probably still does!
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 14:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog63 View Post
If we're going to get technical, as a matter of contract law, that is not correct. But setting the minutae aside an ethical seller doesn't hide exclusions. I'm sure they aren't the first(or last) broker to operate in a shady manner. My purpose in posting this is not to debate this, but to let the community know that if you're going to deal with these people BE CAREFUL and don't expect them to be honorable.
This is you first boat purchase I assume? Serious question.

What is on the equipment list is what comes wirth the boat. This is common knowledge and standard practice.
Old 08-03-2022, 14:38   #15
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Sorry to hear of the equipment problem on your Lagoon.

I sold a boat last year through Noelle Semmes - everything was absolutely handled in the most professional manner, including signed addendums and Bill of Sale. I think it was the best boat purchase or sale I had in 20 years. Noelle ensured every detail was covered and initialed.

But I have also been in transactions that were much looser "handshake" style, and I had to check everything, especially dinghy and motor.

PS if you are running the boat as a business you should specifically apportion the sales price between the vessel and large portable items like a dinghy, jetski, outboards since these items have different Useful Life for depreciation purposes. I also would note any state registration or title associated with them. I chased the title for a dinghy almost 2 years one time.

In any event, I'd give Noelle Semmes Yachting my recommendation any time.

Tags
annapolis, broker, Semmes, yacht