Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2022, 17:30   #1

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Cheap(er) Code 0

Gday all,

I have been musing over getting a new Code 0 for my 38ft 4000kg cat. I will be making a larger prodder (about 1.4 m long) and would like to find a cruising Code 0 to fit.

I get that cruising zeros are probably not much more than 55% mid girth and was thinking of looking for old genoas to convert to a zero - rather than getting a new custom one.

I would like the zero to be used in light winds beam reaching, moderate winds apparent 90 degrees and heavier winds running deep. For cruising if it is really light we don't usually sail directly upwind, if we have lots of miles to cover. The VMG just gets too low - but I usually sail if it is more than 7 knots.

I have a symmetrical for deep running which I like a lot. The current reacher is nice but it is a little small. It is old, from the 80s, but certainly gives some turbo boost in lighter winds. Up to 12 knots windspeed it almost gets us to 90% windspeed at 90 apparent.

Has anyone just bought and old crosscut dacron light number one and converted it to a zero? I could straighten out the luff hollow when I sew on an anti torque line and rejig the clew height if it is a larger crosscut. I can't use a radial sail, which is a bummer as they are more common and lighter because changing the clew doesn't work and my prodder makes the sail very slanted backwards on the luff - necessitating lifting the clew of most sails. I can't really see lots of issues converting a light number 1 but I certainly may be missing something.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 22:38   #2

Boat: Trimarans!
Re: Cheap(er) Code 0

Yes, like a yankee off a larger boat… you’re limited in that most of them would have a much longer luff than yours.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 05:10   #3

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Yes you can. An Australian couple with a catamaran converted a triradial staysail from a big around the world race boat and talked about it on their blog. Sorry, I can't remember the link right now, I'll try to find it. She reworked the sail herself and it looks good. She put a video on YouTube.

Here's the link, https://youngbarnacles.com/

Sent from my Z5157V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 06:41   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The young barnacles vids are great. He's a very accomplished sailor and whiz at carbon fiber work. Actually he has his own composite company. She is a sailmaker. They took discarded parts from old race boats like Team New Zealand and modified them to fit their boat a 1990 Catana 42. Carbon mast, front beam, longeron, etc.
Old 26-03-2022, 12:16   #5

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Thanks guys.

What a great channel. So refreshing to see a channel where experts do stuff. There are a lot of silly Youtube channels full of inexperienced people giving advice so it will be great to watch these vids.

Cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap