Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2022, 08:56   #76

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Seaquest 46 Performance Cruising Catamaran

I realize this is a cruising forum, but it would be really nice if fxykty or Ratel, or other performance catamaran owners could publish polar performance diagrams or tables for their boats in their cruising configurations.

The only way I know to develop these polars collecting them by software like Expedition (not cheap) during sail testing over an extended period, with carefully calibrated instrumentation. Most cruisers don't have the budget or the motivation. In addition, each data point has to be evaluated for biases like current or windshear, so the marketing department doesn't diddle the data.

We probably will never see these polars unless people start seriously racing cats, and will have to make do with inane pronouncements like "faster than wind speed".
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 11:22   #77

Boat: 48' Gunboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratel View Post
We are launching towards the end of September. Weight is guaranteed by the builder at 8200Kg. The payload of approximately 2000kg should be sufficient for us. Bear in mind that we do not have to carry diesel, being an electric boat.Performance sails from OneSails will supply the horsepower. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating...

The mast height tops out at 21meters. Carbon would be nice, but we are going with Aluminium from John Mast in Denmark.

Mike Eaton is the builder. https://eatonmarine.com

Love your Gunboat, which sails are you using?
Most definitely, the pudding never lies. Hopefully we will see you over here on the east coast after you take delivery

Thank you! We are quite fond of her, although she is proving to be quite an expensive lady lol. Almost finished our 1st major refit, just waiting on a few more parts to arrive. We have a battened square top North Sail 3di ocean main, 3di ocean jib and code zero, North Sail A1 asym in airx 700, and a A4 quantum that has never been out of the bag. Our Marstrom rig is 68' tall, with an overall clearance of 74'.
osi48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:05   #78

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I realize this is a cruising forum, but it would be really nice if fxykty or Ratel, or other performance catamaran owners could publish polar performance diagrams or tables for their boats in their cruising configurations.

The only way I know to develop these polars collecting them by software like Expedition (not cheap) during sail testing over an extended period, with carefully calibrated instrumentation. Most cruisers don't have the budget or the motivation. In addition, each data point has to be evaluated for biases like current or windshear, so the marketing department doesn't diddle the data.

We probably will never see these polars unless people start seriously racing cats, and will have to make do with inane pronouncements like "faster than wind speed".

There is a Polar (Plugin) generator that is free that is part of OpenCPN

https://www.opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwik...:sailing:polar

I have generated a number for different sail configurations but they are on the boat. It is quite difficult to have sufficient periods of stable conditions to facilitate super accurate results but the results that are produced ar still useable and give real world numbers. Useful also for weather routing.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 22:03   #79

Boat: Seaquest46

First look at our boat, emerging from the mould!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220614_114532.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	259567  
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 22:58   #80

Boat: Outremer 55L

Beauty!!

Are you going to put a hard surface on the chine as it seems to be at max beam? Most modern cats have slab sides that are at great risk of damage in side on contacts. We’re very grateful for our near full length aluminium toe rail along the max beam hull deck joint.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 23:00   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Beauty!!

Are you going to put a hard surface on the chine as it seems to be at max beam? Most modern cats have slab sides that are at great risk of damage in side on contacts. We’re very grateful for our near full length aluminium toe rail along the max beam hull deck joint.
Something to consider, will run the idea by the builder
Old 16-06-2022, 02:09   #82

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Very nice!

Yes the chine/flare can be an issue when coming alongside. We have two medium sized ball fenders that sit just under the flair to protect us from walls and pontoons. We also have a rub rail at the gunwall that protected us recently from significant damage on a wall during heavy swells. Consider flat fenders but be prepared for paint//gelcoat damage.

Think carefully about bow cleats. We have 4 bow cleats inside and outside of each bow. Allows for alongside and buoy ties, adjustable bridle for different depths and does not use fairleads that IMO cause chafe.

The reverse bows will be difficult to fender when motoring against a spring line. How are you planning to handle that situation?
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 05:49   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Very nice!

Yes the chine/flare can be an issue when coming alongside. We have two medium sized ball fenders that sit just under the flair to protect us from walls and pontoons. We also have a rub rail at the gunwall that protected us recently from significant damage on a wall during heavy swells. Consider flat fenders but be prepared for paint//gelcoat damage.

Think carefully about bow cleats. We have 4 bow cleats inside and outside of each bow. Allows for alongside and buoy ties, adjustable bridle for different depths and does not use fairleads that IMO cause chafe.

The reverse bows will be difficult to fender when motoring against a spring line. How are you planning to handle that situation?
In an alongside situation we would always prefer to use a roving ball fender at the stern and use the motors to move the bow away from the dock. Squeeze the ball fender between the stern and the dock while using differential power to move the bow away.
Old 16-06-2022, 17:27   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratel View Post
In an alongside situation we would always prefer to use a roving ball fender at the stern and use the motors to move the bow away from the dock. Squeeze the ball fender between the stern and the dock while using differential power to move the bow away.
I think what Tupaia is asking is how will you rotate on the bow and protect it. Sometimes you have to kick the transom out and rotate on the bow, it happens.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 19:46   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I think what Tupaia is asking is how will you rotate on the bow and protect it. Sometimes you have to kick the transom out and rotate on the bow, it happens.
With big balls (fenders), some skill and a lot of swearing
Old 22-06-2022, 14:12   #86

I highly discourage anyone from investing in a SeaQuest.

My name is Rorke Miller. I am very easily googled.

Reach out if you need to know more and if you are already involved in discussions with SeaQuest.
Rorke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 23:40   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorke Miller View Post
I highly discourage anyone from investing in a SeaQuest.

My name is Rorke Miller. I am very easily googled.

Reach out if you need to know more and if you are already involved in discussions with SeaQuest.
I feel that a comment is warranted here.

I'd like to say as clients and soon to be owners of Hull #1, our dealings with Eaton Marine (Seaquestcatamarans) and Mike Eaton has been nothing but professional and pleasing.

The boat and the building process has exceeded our expectations.

I would advise anybody interested in this boat to contact Mike Eaton directly.

His contact information is:

Mike@eatonmarine.com

+971585113400
Old 27-06-2022, 07:54   #88

Preparing to cut holes in the hull for the foils. The guys are holding up a dummy board to get the exact placement correct.

We should start the lamination of the carbon foils this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220627-WA0008.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	260116  
Old 06-07-2022, 11:16   #89

Hi Ratel,

The SQ46 looks like a great boat, congratulations.

Looking at the renders its a little hard to get an appreciation of the Helm. The description make it sound like something unique and not seen before, but what I can make out it looks like what you might see on a HH50 where the helm is entered off the side deck vs like the Outremer 45 where you have both options (side and cockpit). It appears there is seating and the winches appear to be off to the side vs infant of you. No detail on the instrument displays. By chance are you able to post something that has more detail?

Thanks Neil...
VikingBlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:53   #90

Boat: Mumby 48

That's looking amazing Ratel! Keep the photos coming please!

Those boards are huge!
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising