Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2018, 16:56   #1336

Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

I think most ICEs can run at full throttle for an hour...

To me, continuous means more than an hour, more like a day.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 17:03   #1337

Boat: Valiant 42

And they can run half throttle for literally days given the fuel supply of a typical cruiser.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 17:23   #1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I think most ICEs can run at full throttle for an hour...

To me, continuous means more than an hour, more like a day.
You’ll probably be disappointed to learn that Yanmar advises you not to run the 3/4JH engines at full throttle (minus 200RPM) for more than 30 minutes in a 10 hour period. Page 11.

The continuous and peak ratings will be on the engine plaque.

I’m not sure where you got the impression you could do that. I can’t think of any case where I’ve ever come close to that with an ICE. Especially not one that’s explicitly not rated for that duty cycle.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 17:25   #1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoot View Post
You’ll probably be disappointed to learn that Yanmar advises you not to run the 3/4JH engines at full throttle (minus 200RPM) for more than 30 minutes in a 10 hour period. Page 11.

The continuous and peak ratings will be on the engine plaque.

I’m not sure where you got the impression you could do that. I can’t think of any case where I’ve ever come close to that with an ICE. Especially not one that’s explicitly not rated for that duty cycle.
I'm not sure where you got the impression that Yanmar make most ICEs.
Old 24-08-2018, 17:47   #1340

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
I'm not sure where you got the impression that Yanmar make most ICEs.
How did you get the impression he said that ?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 17:48   #1341

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
And they can run half throttle for literally days given the fuel supply of a typical cruiser.

What do you mean by "half throttle"? 50% of Max RPM, 50% of Max HP, or lever half way between idle and WOT position?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 18:04   #1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
How did you get the impression he said that ?
Because when i said most ICEs, he cited Yanmar as "proof" I was wrong. There are other ICEs. Most are not made by Yanmar.
Old 24-08-2018, 18:08   #1343

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Because when i said most ICEs, he cited Yanmar as "proof" I was wrong. There are other ICEs. Most are not made by Yanmar.
May not be proof(your word - not his) but its pretty good evidence for cruising boats.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 18:44   #1344

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What do you mean by "half throttle"? 50% of Max RPM, 50% of Max HP, or lever half way between idle and WOT position?

Take your pick.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 21:24   #1345

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
…..if you are that purist, the fuel savings are negligible anyway...so it becomes down to some sort of moral imperative that you are following.
True, or you could be like me and just have an aversion to looking after engines and see electric as being more reliable with less maintenance. I accept its horses for courses.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 22:00   #1346

Quote:
What non-commercial diesel are you using with a duty cycle of more than an hour at WoT?

If I can dig up the duty cycle for Volvo Penta is that enough for you? That would represent 100% of all diesels sold by the big three AFAIK.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 22:05   #1347

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Assuming this is true (which I doubt) how does EP change the situation?

If the HP changed significantly with such few hours it would be observable in fuel consumption and in other ways. I have noticed no change in performance or efficiency and we have nearly 2K hours on our engine. I think your observation might be valid in the previous century but not so much today.
Top Gear have often put their "chosen second hand" cars on a rolling road to see how much horsepower they’d lost down the years, the TG site shows results ranging "from 19 per cent to 38 per cent". Engines DO lose power (why would any F1 team spend $millions stripping down their engines after each race and looking after them but still use 3 engines in a season of only 5500miles if this were not true)

How does it change it? I guess I'm suggesting there is less loss in an electrical system (I don't know the answer, this is my assumption)
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 23:12   #1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoot View Post
What non-commercial diesel are you using with a duty cycle of more than an hour at WoT?

If I can dig up the duty cycle for Volvo Penta is that enough for you? That would represent 100% of all diesels sold by the big three AFAIK.
The really big selling marine engines are made by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu etc.
Old 24-08-2018, 23:24   #1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Top Gear have often put their "chosen second hand" cars on a rolling road to see how much horsepower they’d lost down the years, the TG site shows results ranging "from 19 per cent to 38 per cent". Engines DO lose power (why would any F1 team spend $millions stripping down their engines after each race and looking after them but still use 3 engines in a season of only 5500miles if this were not true)

How does it change it? I guess I'm suggesting there is less loss in an electrical system (I don't know the answer, this is my assumption)
Unfortunately the guys at Top Gear don't seem to know the difference between flywheel horsepower and rear wheel horsepower.

So they measure power at the wheels, then compare it to the manufacturers claims, which are almost always at the flywheel.

And thus, the "lost" hp. I remember being stunned when Richard Hammond (who I thought was the brightest of them) scrawled in texta "475" (IIRC) over the 500 on a GT500 Mustang, scoffing at the "exaggerated " power claim. When in reality 475 at the wheels would equate to quite a bit more than 500 at the flywheel.

I was amazed that someone in his line of work wouldn't have known that. Amazed that anyone could even survive in that line of work without knowing that.
Old 24-08-2018, 23:27   #1350

F1 teams strip down engines these days largely to inspect them, in an effort to prevent failures. They are very restricted in the parts they are allowed to replace.

John McEnroe

Tags
motor