Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 19:44   #31
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: New Lagoon 42S at 16 knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have 9 cats in our group from 40-54 feet. Sailing to windward they sail slower than the monos and point lower, most motor sail in these conditions. Off the wind they do much better but seem to be around the same speeds as the larger monos, around 10 knots, give or take if the conditions are really good. No one beats them after anchoring. Our smaller mono will surf at 12 knots at times but I'd never tell anyone that we sail at 12 knots. I've had a real good chance to observe these boats and listen to the skippers and like monos life is not always a bowl of cherries. I have come to really like a couple of them but wouldn't want to write the cheque, lol.

Can you tell us what designs the 9 cats are? Just like monos, some are fast and weatherly and others are not.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 22:36   #32

What headsail is that?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 03:08   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
What headsail is that?
"Gennaker", a sort of furling asymmetrical spinnaker, but cut flat enough to sail up to about 60 degrees.

Quote:
"Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have 9 cats in our group from 40-54 feet. Sailing to windward they sail slower than the monos and point lower, most motor sail in these conditions. Off the wind they do much better but seem to be around the same speeds as the larger monos, around 10 knots, give or take if the conditions are really good. No one beats them after anchoring. Our smaller mono will surf at 12 knots at times but I'd never tell anyone that we sail at 12 knots. I've had a real good chance to observe these boats and listen to the skippers and like monos life is not always a bowl of cherries. I have come to really like a couple of them but wouldn't want to write the cheque, lol."

Please, please! Don't turn this into yet another "monos can sail better thread".
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 03:23   #34

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
if you get the nice wave to surf on it is easy to get 16 kt. and that is what this looks like, but still it is good speed.
you could be right, actually.

video is made up of short clips, likely coinciding with swell passing under boat.

whatever, I will pull out my spi next time and see how it goes.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 03:30   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

Please, please! Don't turn this into yet another "monos can sail better thread".
But they can - you should know that by now
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 03:59   #36

Boat: FP Elba 45

I have it on good authority Lagoon have sold ninety L42S already.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 05:18   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
"Gennaker", a sort of furling asymmetrical spinnaker, but cut flat enough to sail up to about 60 degrees.

Quote:
"Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have 9 cats in our group from 40-54 feet. Sailing to windward they sail slower than the monos and point lower, most motor sail in these conditions. Off the wind they do much better but seem to be around the same speeds as the larger monos, around 10 knots, give or take if the conditions are really good. No one beats them after anchoring. Our smaller mono will surf at 12 knots at times but I'd never tell anyone that we sail at 12 knots. I've had a real good chance to observe these boats and listen to the skippers and like monos life is not always a bowl of cherries. I have come to really like a couple of them but wouldn't want to write the cheque, lol."

Not on my mind but just not ready to buy into some of the speeds that people are suggesting for cruising cats because I have not observed this type of performance and I am surrounded by cats. They all sail just fine but there are no rocket ships and the skippers are very open about real world performance. As far as I can tell none of them bought their boats expecting unbelievable performance, they bought the room and the view and the ease of sailing and while each of them have their complaints they all love their boats.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 06:47   #38

Boat: Lagoon 42 2017 and a BB17, 23 ' 1962 racer

What a beauty!! Pardon me for rewriting an american slogan from the biking fraternity; "The great French Freedom machine !!"

ObiWanSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Can you tell us what designs the 9 cats are? Just like monos, some are fast and weatherly and others are not.

Lagoons, FP, PDQ Leopard
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 10:45   #40
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Lagoons, FP, PDQ Leopard

All good cruising boats, none of them being performance oriented or weatherly.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:30   #41
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

I have quite some experience on L400, L440 & L450, pushed the L440 to 17+ (surfing obviously) and IMO that video is impressive ! I think Lagoon did an excellent job there marketing wise, pushing the boat in moderate weather conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
-looking at the trim of sails, the AWA should be around 110-115 degrees. At 18 kts of boat speed, this means the true wind is at 135 degrees. Look at the waves carefully, does it look so ? (I know that the waves are not coming always exactly from the same angle of the true wind, but in the video it looks like 25-30 degrees of difference. that's way too much, something is weird..)
The video says 16 knots boat speed @ 23 knots wind speed, let's say TWS. I do believe it. I have never had the chance to use a spi on a cat though so I could be wrong but I believe the video shows 125° TWA, which then translate in 19.2 knots AWS @ 80° AWA. Having the AWA < 90° is IMO the only way to pull that massive boat at such speed. I don't think it would work pushing the boat at AWA > 90°.

If I may correct Yeloya using 16° knots instead of 18, but keeping his 110° AWA, that would make 152° TWA, and especially 11.5 knots AWS. Which I believe would not push the boat at 16 knots. Also 152 TWA does not seem correct looking at the waves angle to the boat.

Also, some called this big nylon sail a gennaker ? I see a big flat and rather symetric assy... The gennakers I have used on lagoon cats are much smaller, flatter, on a furler, and made of dacron.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot, lagoon