Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2014, 16:58   #46

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Mono vs Multi!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0...a6zo1_1280.jpg

Not just young hot chicks dig cats.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 01:12   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0...a6zo1_1280.jpg

Not just young hot chicks dig cats.
This I can readily agree with
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 03:16   #48
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

I like the idea of a cat more than my GF does. But I am sure she will like living on one much more than on our current mono. I like decent performance so it has to have daggerboards and not be too heavy. Plus I want to be able to dry out on my favorite sandy spots I could never go to with my big mono but could with my trailer sailer.

Now since I own a mono and I am seriously looking to buy a cat I think my opinion is not biased. I think it can be very easily shown that when comparing the important factor in comparison which is money you will get more space and better performance with a mono than a cat per dollar by a large margin. So if you have a decent mono you will have to pay much more for a cat that has both more space and more performance, and for me this is worth it.

Its quite easy to prove really. Please show me a cat which sails better and has more space than a 1999 SO40 which is worth around $64K usd? Actually, scrap the performance. See if you can even find one with more space than a SO40 even if it sails like crap! It needs to be around the same year and quality as the SO40 to be a fair comparison.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999...s#.Uuo0RhC1bc8
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 03:53   #49

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Its quite easy to prove really. Please show me a cat which sails better and has more space than a 1999 SO40 which is worth around $64K usd? Actually, scrap the performance. See if you can even find one with more space than a SO40 even if it sails like crap! It needs to be around the same year and quality as the SO40 to be a fair comparison.

1999 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Uhh, a Gemini has more space, probably sails faster, has boards, 3 private staterooms, larger cockpit, as large a galley, oh, larger bow area and easier to manuever, you wont spill your drink, and most of them are in a price range of where that beat to death SO40 in barbados would be once you fix it up. A 2004 Gem just sold (needed a little but not major work ) for in the 70's on an auction site. Theres another AMI 320 for in the 80's that sails as well and has more space, yes there are cats with more space in that size range. and I guarranty most are in better shape than that Junneau,,,,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 04:40   #50
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

The SO40 looked OK to me. The cheapest Gemini I could find was 80K. LOL at 3 private "staterooms".

VS

Looks like its 6" from being a monohull. Sails well? NEXT!

dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 05:07   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

Uhh, a Gemini has more space, probably sails faster, has boards, 3 private staterooms, larger cockpit, as large a galley, oh, larger bow area and easier to manuever, you wont spill your drink, and most of them are in a price range of where that beat to death SO40 in barbados would be once you fix it up. A 2004 Gem just sold (needed a little but not major work ) for in the 70's on an auction site. Theres another AMI 320 for in the 80's that sails as well and has more space, yes there are cats with more space in that size range. and I guarranty most are in better shape than that Junneau,,,,,
Might have a bit more storage space but the Gemini can't carry anything. Put 100 gal of water and 60 of fuel and you'll sink it. Add a 12ft dink and 15hp motor and the bridgedeck will be in the water. The aft cabins are about big enough to store your foulies in.

Sails well? Ever sailed one to weather in any chop? They pound like they'll fall apart any minute. Crossing to the Bahamas? You better wait for a calm day and motor across. The motion in seaway I'd so choppy it'll make milkshakes.

The boards might enable you to get close enough to a Bahamian island that you will be out of the breeze and into the bugs. When they anchor out with the real boats the bridgedeck slaps in the wavelets.

Ok as a weekender on the ICW but cruiser?

No thanks.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 05:56   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mono vs Multi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
Might have a bit more storage space but the Gemini can't carry anything. Put 100 gal of water and 60 of fuel and you'll sink it. Add a 12ft dink and 15hp motor and the bridgedeck will be in the water. The aft cabins are about big enough to store your foulies in.

Sails well? Ever sailed one to weather in any chop? They pound like they'll fall apart any minute. Crossing to the Bahamas? You better wait for a calm day and motor across. The motion in seaway I'd so choppy it'll make milkshakes.

The boards might enable you to get close enough to a Bahamian island that you will be out of the breeze and into the bugs. When they anchor out with the real boats the bridgedeck slaps in the wavelets.

Ok as a weekender on the ICW but cruiser?

No thanks.
+A1... a 40yr old Catalac's got more to offer than that thing...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 08:11   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Now since I own a mono and I am seriously looking to buy a cat I think my opinion is not biased. I think it can be very easily shown that when comparing the important factor in comparison which is money you will get more space and better performance with a mono than a cat per dollar by a large margin. So if you have a decent mono you will have to pay much more for a cat that has both more space and more performance.
I think You are right.
We have a 16 m. mono.

Owners cabin has more than 10 sq. m. (108 sq. ft) of area.
Two separate berths, each sized as double. Ensuite toilet + separate shower compartment. Direct access to second toilet. This one is attached to the huge skipper cabin with oversized (about 2 m. wide at head) double berth, but as skipper cabin is not used, we in fact have two separate ensuites for owners cabin.
Saloon is almost 20 sq.m (205 sq.ft) of area. Big dining table with sofas around, small table with sofa, decent kitchen, big freezer & fridge, icemaker/cooler, large navigation table with abundant place for everything You need.
Two guest cabins with queen sized berths, each one with full ensuite toilet.
Big engine, generator, watermaker. Vacuum toilet system. Large holding tanks. 960 lt (253 US gal) of diesel, 1000 lt (264 US gal) of freshwater, Huge battery banks.
Huge cockpit (2,5 m. benches and big table). Separate steering cockpit with twin wheels.
Huge storage thorought.
Sailing quite well, except for very light winds, generally I use the average speed of 8 kts. for calculations, highest registered speed 12,3 knots.

I can not imagine the possibility to trade it of for the cat, with all the area, conveniences and comforts, not adding a huge amount of money.
Old 30-01-2014, 09:42   #54
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

DoubleWhiskey, I am glad that you love your 54 foot monohull, but I fail to see how it is a response to the OP's inquiry in the mulithull thread concerning cats in the 35 to 38 foot range with a performance edge (e.g. boards, rather than keels), let alone his boat specific inquiries with respect to the Schionning 1030 and Prescott Whitehaven. As to dennisail's arguable suggestion (with which you agreed) that you will get more space and better performance per dollar with a mono than a cat by a large margin, again this is hardly responsive.

If you would like to start a new thread revisiting the age-old (and unresolvable) debate concerning which is better - cat or monohull, go ahead (yawn). But that 'debate' (and the description of your admittedly impressive 54' monohull) are only creating thread drift here, don't you think?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 12:03   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
DoubleWhiskey, that 'debate' are only creating thread drift here, don't you think?
If it is a drift not I was a drift starter.
This is Mono vs Multi thread - so I'm even not so sure if it is a drift at all.
And not a drift is a reason for addressing Your post to me, I suppose, but debating it would start the real drift
Old 30-01-2014, 12:14   #56

Yoda? Is it you?
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 12:48   #57
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

You're right DoulbleWhisky, it wasn't started by you (seems we 'drifted' there about post #30) so my apologies. I guess that it was also encouraged by the title for the thread, which is not at all representative the OP's actual questions.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 13:29   #58

Quote:
The SO40 looked OK to me. The cheapest Gemini I could find was 80K. LOL at 3 private "staterooms".

VS

Looks like its 6" from being a monohull. Sails well? NEXT!

I'll be the first to agree the 3 cabins is a stretch but you show the 1 place in the boat that is a little cave like. How about some pictures of the main cabins or the salon for comparison.

As far as loading her down, we do see the performance drop off...down to what a 34' mono would typically be. We've never had an issue with wave slap at anchor as we don't have to anchor in deep water (if there is that much wind blowing that the open anchorages are bouncing bugs aren't much of an issue in the skinny water anyway.)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 13:51   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You're right DoulbleWhisky, it wasn't started by you (seems we 'drifted' there about post #30) so my apologies. I guess that it was also encouraged by the title for the thread, which is not at all representative the OP's actual questions.

Brad
No problem
Old 30-01-2014, 14:37   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Brad
When the OP started the thread, I looked to the title and the actual first post and immediately thought "Oh no - I can see where this will end up"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote