Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 22:01   #151

Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Looks a lot like it started life as a catalac. 230 HP on a Catalac - who would have thought.
It's a very nicely done conversion! Not to be a prig, but to me it looks like it started out life as a Gemini.
Dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:25   #152
Marine Service Provider

I've only just stumbled across this thread (late to the party as ever) and note that you fear your budget may not stretch to the Coppercoat treatment advised by another contributor.

We used to supply the Prout factory and most of their Boat Show boats through the 1990's had Coppercoat so I've always had a soft spot for them. Consequently if it is something you are considering, contact me (ask for Ewan) at AMC Ltd (t. 01258 861059) and I'll see what I can arrange. It shouldn't be too much more than the cost of buying a treatment of one coat of primer followed by two coats of a quality conventional anti-foul paint. And we are organising a special offer for the Southampton Boat Show, should that timing suit you. Just though it worth mentioning.
Ewan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:29   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

thanks ewan i might be at the boat show and will look you up!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09   #154
Marine Service Provider

Great! You'll find us exhibiting Coppercoat in our usual location in the Windward Hall (over the second bridge, near to the marina entrance).
Ewan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 12:54   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

update IT'S A RUNNER!!!!!!!!

today i finally got the vetus 33hp engine running,after waiting nearly a month for bits from vetus holland.
started on the first few revoloutions,it runs like a brand new sewing machine!

dontcha love it when a plan comes together!! should be able to get it fitted in the next few weeks,launch and sail/motor the cat to her new home
Old 20-08-2013, 03:20   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

any body know the best place to mount the raw water strainer for the engine to prevent loss of priming water at the impellor pump?

i have heard this can be a problem on midship mounted engines that are above the waterline,on the prout the engine is about 2 ft above the waterline.
Old 20-08-2013, 04:11   #157

Boat: Privilege 37

The only fundamental point is that it should be above the waterline. You shut the thru-hull and top up the strainer put the top back on and with a decent seal that you get from a decent strainer, there is no loss of water when you open the thru-hull (unless of course the boat is dried out at the time ).

I always had problems getting the top of the vetus strainers, and cracked the tops on two occassions. Last winter I replaced these with Forespar Marelon strainers, and am much happier with the seal, and with the ability to remove the tops when needed.

Remember to site these so that you can easily see the top of the strainer (and access it when needed) as this will be a good indicator of problems through the salt water cooling section.
Old 20-08-2013, 07:43   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
The only fundamental point is that it should be above the waterline. You shut the thru-hull and top up the strainer put the top back on and with a decent seal that you get from a decent strainer, there is no loss of water when you open the thru-hull (unless of course the boat is dried out at the time ).

I always had problems getting the top of the vetus strainers, and cracked the tops on two occassions. Last winter I replaced these with Forespar Marelon strainers, and am much happier with the seal, and with the ability to remove the tops when needed.

Remember to site these so that you can easily see the top of the strainer (and access it when needed) as this will be a good indicator of problems through the salt water cooling section.
yes i guess in the engine room will be the best place in terms of being able to check the strainer,rather than under a bunk in the aft cabin where the seacock will be located.

it will also act as a handy container for refilling into if it does lose its prime.

it might be an idea to have the feed pipe from the seacock come up above the waterline,then loop back down below the waterline before it goes up to the strainer,so as to create a water lock......though not sure if it will work as intended.

i might also run a small bore pipe into the cockpit drain "t"ed into the exhaust raw water inlet so i can visually check flow as well,as the exhaust is under the bridge deck and difficult to see
Old 20-08-2013, 08:19   #159
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I looked at buying a snow goose classic a few years and thought the strainer was in one hull near the waterline. Not sure, but have friends with a snow goose 35 nearby and will have look at theirs next weekend.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:30   #160

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
.....it might be an idea to have the feed pipe from the seacock come up above the waterline,then loop back down below the waterline before it goes up to the strainer,so as to create a water lock......though not sure if it will work as intended.

i might also run a small bore pipe into the cockpit drain "t"ed into the exhaust raw water inlet so i can visually check flow as well,as the exhaust is under the bridge deck and difficult to see
Don't like the loop idea - reckon it is a bit loopy

If you fail to shut your cock when drying out, even with a loop, you will still need to prime. that loop may make it more of a problem.

exhaust flow might be difficult to see, but hearing is just as important, and a mirror on a pole will solve any sight problems without overcomplicating something.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:44   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Don't like the loop idea - reckon it is a bit loopy

If you fail to shut your cock when drying out, even with a loop, you will still need to prime. that loop may make it more of a problem.

exhaust flow might be difficult to see, but hearing is just as important, and a mirror on a pole will solve any sight problems without overcomplicating something.
i dry out on every tide!
so i might have to rig some sort of control cable to the seacock next to the engine controls...this might be the best option rather than digging under bunks and/or repriming if the seacock is left open.

though it would be interesting to hear from other prout owners who might have had this problem
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

update! PHASE 2, i'm back off to the "Big Smoke" today to fit the new engine,electrics,and nav gear,then plan on launching around the 10-12 sept.

then time and weather permitting, sail/motor the only "gaff rigged" prout in existance down to cornwall before the end of the month.

will post more as the work progresses,wish me luck!
cheers atoll
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54   #163

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Gaff rigged cats are the thing in Devon it seems.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59   #164

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

good luck!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:37   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

me and me mate "smudger"

work progerssing well,bottom antifouled,and the new engine mounts are ready to be glassed in tommorow,hopefully drop the engine in by friday.
sorry havent posted more.......foookin knAKKERED BY 8 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10192.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	66442   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10194.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	66443