Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 14:12   #1

Miami Boat Show

Hello all.

I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself and perhaps solicit some ideas/info. First, I am a complete rookie, so please pardon any mistakes I may make. I currently am a powerboater, but am looking to mend my ways. My wife and I live in florida and dream of getting into sailing (back into for me, first time for her). She fell in love with a cat during a work trip to Bermuda and since then I have been like a dog with a bone on the idea.

We are heading to the boat show">miami boat show to poke around and climb aboard a few of the boats on display, but I had a few questions....

1. Do they let everyone on the boats or do you need an appointment?
2. Will the distributors blow off a guy asking stupid questions, as I am bound to do?

Any information you may have about navigating the show or mistakes to avoid I welcome your opinions. Feel free to start at the begining as all of our previous boats were bought via a broker, and this is our first boat show. Also, we are not buying, just collecting info this time.

Thanks
cruisedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 14:28   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Hello Cruisedreamer. Have fun at the show. You can see any of the boats but big, expensive ones may need a reservation. You just put your name on a list and then show up for a tour. It is usually worth it.

The brokers won't typically blow you off just because your asking stupid questions. There are a lot of us out there asking the same ones. Some of the guys do get tired of answering questions and may be short on their answers.

What I would suggest is that both you and your wife keep a notepad of your impressions of each boat. You may focus on the mechanical components and she on the comfort of the boat. I found that the more I looked at certain models, the cheaper built they became. My first year, we returned to the same boat about 3 times and I still think it's one of the best designed.

Post your thoughts here after the show.
Old 23-01-2011, 14:44   #3

Thanks for the heads up. As we are shopping the lower end of the scale we should be ok. Althought the discovery 50 does look amazing. We are probabably looking the sub 40' market and would buy used.

I will keep the seperate notebooks in mind and will definately post what I see, although I'm not sure how insightful I will be.
Old 23-01-2011, 15:40   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've had a boat in the Annapolis show in the past. What ever you do - don't ask how many it sleeps. The Miami show is not a great sailboat show but many equipment manufacturers will show their new stuff. Its hard for brokers to classify people that come on the boats. Some talk down to those they think can't afford their boats and lose sales. If you can- go to Annapolis show in October - go on Friday or Monday.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 15:56   #5

I'll be there friday-sunday. I was planning on hitting the boats on Friday, vendors on saturday, and a seminar plus more boats on sunday. I am a little past the how may it sleeps question, but not much. That said i would have a hard time discussing engine specs or sail plans compared to efficiency and speed. mostly this trip is to see how the boats feel and crawl around in the lockers and compartments.

This does bring up another point...Is it worth going to one of the seminars on selecting a used boat? There is a cat specific one on saturday.

Here are a few of the points I could use some info on. I will be searching the rest of the forum for answers, but thought I would throw these out.

How much bridgedeck clearance is enough?
Are there certain boats that are underpowered or underrigged?
Which manufacturers have the highest quality construction?
Are the used boats on display there as well?
Old 23-01-2011, 17:23   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I would definitely go to the buying a used catamaran seminar. Philip Berman is a serious wealth of info (in spite of being a broker ).

Many/most of the cats in your price range will have some or all of the issues that you are concerned about. IOW, bridgedeck clearance, underpowered rigs and construction quality issues. Getting some education on them will help you decide how much importance to place on each.

I haven't been to the Miami Show in a long time, typically there are new boats and the brokers showing them will also have a list of brokerage boats that are available. To some degree, you will want to be careful about "falling in love" with the current models, since the used ones may bear only a fleeting resemblance to them.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 18:07   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisedreamer View Post
I'll be there friday-sunday. I was planning on hitting the boats on Friday, vendors on saturday, and a seminar plus more boats on sunday. I am a little past the how may it sleeps question, but not much. That said i would have a hard time discussing engine specs or sail plans compared to efficiency and speed. mostly this trip is to see how the boats feel and crawl around in the lockers and compartments.

This does bring up another point...Is it worth going to one of the seminars on selecting a used boat? There is a cat specific one on saturday.

Here are a few of the points I could use some info on. I will be searching the rest of the forum for answers, but thought I would throw these out.

How much bridgedeck clearance is enough?
Are there certain boats that are underpowered or underrigged?
Which manufacturers have the highest quality construction?
Are the used boats on display there as well?
There are always a few used boats at he show. But mostly they'll be monos. But not to worry, any broker worth their salt will have a list of used Cats in their inventory. Also I second Yogaos recommendation. If you are new to looking at Cats take the time to go to Phils seminar. He's a broker but he is a wealth of knowledge on Cats.
Now, of course you have to stop by my booth, introduce yourself as a CF member and say "Hey" Stay inside the sailboat show Saturday night after the show. Latts and Atts free party is then. Free beer and pizza. Also we will be raffling off a brand new watermaker at the party. Odds ain't that bad.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 15:59   #8

I'm certainly not an old salt when it comes to boat shows but here is what I've learned from my couple of trips to Miami. 1) Wear comfortable shows you can slip on and off easily but still walk all day in. 2) always take your shoes off before boarding a boat its just plan courtesy.3) Wear sun screen and a hat. 4) get to the popular presentations at least a few minutes early - which ones are popular? Almost all. 5) ask as many questions as you want of everyone - if the boat rep is slow to answer, the 10 people who overheard it will chime in with their own. 6) a couple of the very large cats are appointment only - or limited people at a time. Place your name on the list and wait patiently if you want to see how the other half lives (and live nice they do). 7) Some of the boats are recently sold owners boats - treat them as your own and ask to open closed cabinets, doors, hatches and fridges - they are usually okay with that, but only if asked politely first (plus they love to talk about their boat experience). 8) If your hotel isn't within cab distance, the American airlines Arena parking is right next to the free bus shuttle. 9) Even if you are there for the cats, check out at least some monohulls 10) Between just Bayside and the convention center, there is more here than you can see in three days if you live and breath boats, so pace yourself and enjoy.
Greenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 00:44   #9

Boat: Tartan T4400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
There are always a few used boats at he show. But mostly they'll be monos. But not to worry, any broker worth their salt will have a list of used Cats in their inventory. Also I second Yogaos recommendation. If you are new to looking at Cats take the time to go to Phils seminar. He's a broker but he is a wealth of knowledge on Cats.
Now, of course you have to stop by my booth, introduce yourself as a CF member and say "Hey" Stay inside the sailboat show Saturday night after the show. Latts and Atts free party is then. Free beer and pizza. Also we will be raffling off a brand new watermaker at the party. Odds ain't that bad.
Tellie
What booth are you going to be at? Will be at show Sunday maybe Monday looking for equipment and hardware.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 05:13   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Tellie
What booth are you going to be at? Will be at show Sunday maybe Monday looking for equipment and hardware.

Hi Gudgeon,

I beleive the booth is 900 on a corner just after you enter the show. Sometimes there are last minute changes. This year since they moved back to Bayside I wouldn't say for sure. But I will be there at the Spectra watermaker booth. Please stop by, introduce yourself and chew the fat.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show, miami, miami boat show