Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 11:18   #31

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: Med for a year, Carib for a year, 2016-17,18, what new Cat should I consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
The Dean is a well built SA cat but quite heavy, so don't expect a great turn of speed. The work inside is quite good.
Sorry to sound naïve... but the Xquisite (New Dean) is Light craft displacement (mlcc) 39,683 lb (18,000 kg) Certified Maximum Craft Displacement 48,500 lb (22,000 kg)
is that heavy for a 50ft cat? A leopard 48 is 17,000kg so I thought it was "average"??
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 13:13   #32

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Med for a year, Carib for a year, 2016-17,18, what new Cat should I consider?

They're both heavy - probably higher than average for the length.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 14:58   #33

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

that's heavy....my FP 60 is 50,000lb fully loaded
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 15:29   #34

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yep - agree, I really really don't like hydraulic steering, but (as usual) I am in the minority amongst my group.
Theres plenty in the camp that hate hydraulic steering factor! Mainly for the reasons that Dave said ie to feel the balance of the sail plan. Its just that many helm set ups dont make anything else practical - one of the compromises to those flybridge helms.

I've liked FPs even when they had the osmosis and build problems due to their design philosophy emphasising sailability where possible. I would suspect they tried the teleflex steering with this in mind but its not quite worked out.

Dont know how bad the Helia teleflex system is but it would have to be pretty bad to see hydraulic as an improvement I reckon!
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 15:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
They're both heavy - probably higher than average for the length.

2 Hulls Dave
I stand corrected. Not "probably" but definitely heavier than average. I was skeptical of the stated 17,000 kg weight of the L48, but according to Leopard's site, it's 37480 lbs. 17036+kg. Obese is a better term. But I bet it's comfy at anchor!

2 Hulls Dave
Old 10-12-2014, 15:35   #36

And as to the original post - may not be popular here but if i did my time in the med again it may well be on a MONO. Save the cat for the Carib and Pacific. Berths for our 42 foot cat were often hard to come by in many many places.It made planning ahead more difficult, destroying some of the "vibe" of the trip at times. I would shudder to think of the logistical problems for a 60 footer!

That said you can anchor out more comfortably on a cat though this isnt always practical in all places and its a bugger to be left with only that option too often.

Theres always room for another mono though - just need to get your neighbours to adjust their stern lines so you can squeeze in.
Old 10-12-2014, 15:46   #37

This is sorta on topic.

In our original plan (which did not, and still does not, include a circumnavigation) we included a trip to the Med to encompass a whole year, then return to NA via the E Carib.

But after meeting numerous European cruisers in the Carib, we've taken the Med off our schedule. When we described our original plans the Europeans typically looked at us like we had two heads: "Why would you want to go to the Med? You have paradise right here!" 'Nuff said. We'll tour Europe after we can't sail anymore.......

2 Hulls Dave
Old 10-12-2014, 16:09   #38

Quote:
This is sorta on topic.

In our original plan (which did not, and still does not, include a circumnavigation) we included a trip to the Med to encompass a whole year, then return to NA via the E Carib.

But after meeting numerous European cruisers in the Carib, we've taken the Med off our schedule. When we described our original plans the Europeans typically looked at us like we had two heads: "Why would you want to go to the Med? You have paradise right here!" 'Nuff said. We'll tour Europe after we can't sail anymore.......

2 Hulls Dave
He he you've brought back memories of all the octogenarians rolling off the cruise ships in wheelchairs and walking frames in places like Kotor for their day excursions. 2 hours ashore then back on board for dinner, tick off Montenegro, Venice tomorrow....

I wouldnt miss doing the med on your own boat - its well worth it in so many ways- those Europeans you spoke to are just used to so much history in their backyards they dont always appreciate it
Old 10-12-2014, 16:52   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I wouldnt miss doing the med on your own boat - its well worth it in so many ways- those Europeans you spoke to are just used to so much history in their backyards they dont always appreciate it
No doubt. I believe you are correct. We'll enjoy our sailing years is terrific sailing conditions and see history later from ashore. How's the rum?

2 Hulls Dave
Old 10-12-2014, 16:57   #40

Yeah just dont leave it so late you have to roll off those cruise ships Dave!

Rum is atrocious and so is the grappa, raki etc but the french spanish and italian reds bought direct from centuries old cellar doors now they are pretty fine

We wont be at our ideal cruising weight when we leave the med put it that way
Old 10-12-2014, 18:36   #41

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Yeah just dont leave it so late you have to roll off those cruise ships Dave!

Rum is atrocious and so is the grappa, raki etc but the french spanish and italian reds bought direct from centuries old cellar doors now they are pretty fine

We wont be at our ideal cruising weight when we leave the med put it that way
Sounds like you are doing it really tough in the med.

Mate of mine just leaving for Carib after struggling for the last 2 years.

Finally My Darling

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 18:40   #42

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Hi Helia 44,

I am currently looking into the same sort of problem and must admit the Helia 44 and Saba 50 both look like very good boats.

Your final decision would interest me for obvious reasons.

Regards
Hello Heath68,

F.P. makes the top Catamaran in "value for money and liveability" now. There are faster, there are stronger, but not anywhere near the liveability. F.P. have had a variety of problems in the past, but the last couple of years they have way ahead of the pack in comfortable and artistic layout as well as performance and quality. Anyone that knocks them now, is just out of touch with the current models.. Years ago they had problems like bad resin in a few years in the outer bonding coat, things like that, but those kind of issues are all past history. What they do now is second to none, and probably the most user friendly design with the Helia... and now Saba...

What am I going to do? Someone suggested a Mono, and I agree about that practicality. I am a Monohull Man for sure in the Northern Hemisphere for docking, a Cat is tough. HOWEVER, home base is still Australia and I am a couple of hundred miles below the Great Barrier Reef and its hundreds of islands. Catamarans RULE here, without a doubt.. In the Med, a Mono like someone pointed out, would be heaps easier to find slippage for, but this is about importing a newer boat back home, so Cat it is... Anyway, my choice? SABA 50 so far, without a doubt.. If I could not get it I would consider another Helia. I am better off to sell this one here and import a three year newer one after the trip.

I may or may not actually do it, as I have had a major setback in seeing the Maestro version in the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show... Not happening, it is the rabbit warren Charter 6 cabin one... So that is the first hurtle... Second is timing, Factory Delivery right now is October 2015. I would need an early month delivery like March, and I am not sure I can or am willing to sell my Helia in time.. This may all be put off a year... dunno..

The idea was to unify my Family for a big trip through the Med before they have their own families, and bring a newer boat home to Oz. The Med for the history, art, all the good stuff where accommodations for my whole troupe would be $$$$$ when we have a major Cruising Yacht with four Queen Cabins SABA 50.. Europeans take it for granted, but we would thrive on the History and Art.. Timing may still be the bombshell...

A decision may not be made until mid year, and then it could be too late to get one for 2016. You want delivery in the early spring.. We will see..... A breakthrough could happen with a second hand one in the Med, or default on purchase or something, if we are still that adventurous.

No other yacht I have seen has this quality of Build and of Lifestyle combined with moderate performance... so far....

That and I am going to have a very hard time parting with it, as there are 50 custom bits I have added, here a few examples: Like the interior table, rounded corners, ten coats of varnish, and two more Puffs seats for guests in the same French Stitching and materials, and the outside cockpit teak table in ten coats of flexible Awlgrip, and then canvas covers for the varnish with white felt sunblock lining (actually curtain material) with elastic underside of the table for quick take off and put back... And using the upper sun deck cushions for back rests around the cockpit, on white Velcro on the back and small squares on the fiberglass... There are literally dozens of little custom bits I have added, on top of it being the most well equipped one ever... 6 AC units for the tropic, freezer, three refrigeration systems, ice maker, 9.5 Cummins Onan, and a ridiculous gear list of luxury.. Sometimes I think of just putting THIS Helia back on a freighter to the Med... Ha ha.... (not going to happen)...

Kind regards to all. Helia 44...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375 (Copy).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	93384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761 (Copy).JPG
Views:	194
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	93385  

Name:	IMG_2338 (Copy).JPG
Views:	204
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	93386  
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 21:08   #43

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Helia 44,

A modification you could add to the Helia for med mooring. A couple of aussies with L440 have done it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Col mooring.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	93418  
Attached Images

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 16:04   #44

Great modification downunder. havnt seen that on any of the lagoons in the med but that would sure save the stern stems from a few dents in the many tight berths in med, especially if short handed. At 50 to 60 foot though you will still be forced to anchor off in many places in summer, bad weather or not, or book well in advance where they take bookings.

Mind you if it became on option on all lagoons it woulds take away alot of the fun when the charter fleet arrives en mass into some of those old ports. Hours of entertainment unless they want to berth alongside your boat
Old 11-12-2014, 16:41   #45
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
And as to the original post - may not be popular here but if i did my time in the med again it may well be on a MONO. Save the cat for the Carib and Pacific. Berths for our 42 foot cat were often hard to come by in many many places.It made planning ahead more difficult, destroying some of the "vibe" of the trip at times. I would shudder to think of the logistical problems for a 60 footer!
We are on our third year and haven't found berthing space to be a huge problem. Paying for it though can be as in the Western Med it's 1.5 to 2 x as much. Greece is cheap though and so far that's my favorite spot. Un-imaginable to want to do it in a mono unless you are on a small boat or simply can't afford it.

Quote:
This is sorta on topic.

2 Hulls Dave
Dave, I can't imagine why anyone would want to cruise the Caribbean. After a month what more can you see and experience. It's all the same - Ya mon's, coconut drinks, and very few palm trees. No real history or culture.

Tags
rib