Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 10:08   #16

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Marine Beanbags on Tramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I wonder if a net hammock could be wrapped around one then used to lash the bag in place. They are light enough that it won't effect stability to just leave them in place, and this way you wouldn't have to find storage for them offshore.
--That would be no problem, all that I have used are completely waterproof, and I can tell you from experience there is no problem using a hose to repeatedly blast sunbaked tuna blood and squid guts off of them. The simplest way to secure them is just use some bungees or 1/4" line to lash them somewhere. The line presses deeply into the bag's fill and they lock down tight very easily.

They bounce back fine, and the only thing I would avoid is leaving them out for weeks on end without some sort of cover to offer some long term UV protection-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
--That would be no problem, all that I have used are completely waterproof, and I can tell you from experience there is no problem using a hose to repeatedly blast sunbaked tuna blood and squid guts off of them. The simplest way to secure them is just use some bungees or 1/4" line to lash them somewhere. The line presses deeply into the bag's fill and they lock down tight very easily.

They bounce back fine, and the only thing I would avoid is leaving them out for weeks on end without some sort of cover to offer some long term UV protection-

Hardhead,
What brand do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 15:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

Same as FSMike we have a couple of cheapies from K-Mart and love them out on the tramp. Figure if we loose one over the side not a big loss. Caution though If you nip in to grab a fresh beer without tying them down may well be gone when you get back! The Co-Captain nearly lost one last trip. Got caught up in the lower safety rope or would have been gone.
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 18:13   #19

Boat: Aloha 34

A chair bag might work well, and it's so compact it's ridiculous. Drawback it it's light.

Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 20:55   #20

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

made my own.....using shade cloth.....solved uv issue........and tough......have loops sewn into each corner for attachment points ......have shadecloth colour to match yacht.......we use as water toy too.......but needs a fresh water wash after......works for me.....
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 21:10   #21

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

My wife and I were on a weeklong ASA class in the Sea of Cortez last November and the owners of the boat (Lagoon 440) had two of them on the trampolines. When under sail they just ran a line through the handles to tie them down quickly.
They were very appreciated and used often both in the morning for coffee and in the evening for star gazing. They had them for a while before we got there and they appeared to be holding up very well. A quick wash with fresh water after one boisterous 30 knot plus day of sailing that managed to spray saltwater everywhere and that was all that required to keep them fresh and nice to sit in.

We're saving up and planning for our eventual launch (Haven't got the catamaran yet...) and we have a saying for things we want to keep or get as we downsize.
The marine beanbags get the "That's going on the boat" approval.
Now if I could only figure out a way to implement a cup holder...
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:31   #22

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

[QUOTE=rajsach;2124440]Hardhead,
What brand do you have?

I'm sorry about the delay in responding-

The bags I have the most experience with are the "Ocean-Tamer" tear drop style. I believe they are the large size. I can highly recommend them-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:41   #23

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
Now if I could only figure out a way to implement a cup holder...
I have to say I never thought about bean bags on the boat but after reading this, I ordered one last night. Not sure about spending $100+ yet but I found a discounted one for $20 and yes, it has a bottle holder. If it works out, may get one of the E-Sea teadrop bags. I suspect they are made a little better. Also has a nice handle and a pocket for my remote autopilot control. Click image for larger version

Name:	bottle holder.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	124612
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handle.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	124614   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP pocket.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	124615  

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 06:32   #24

Boat: Maxim 380

We have two from west marine on the tramps and they get used daily! We use one in the cockpit on night passages so the captain can sleep knowing he's close by if needed. Buy them you won't regret it...
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 06:47   #25
cruiser

I abjectly detest vinyl and am convinced it has no place on a boat or anywhere else for that matter... that said, I'd have a conversation with my canvas fabricator and see if I couldn't get something made up in either Sunbrella or Sunbrella Furniture Fabric. The fill is Styrofoam beads, just as in the 'beanbag' chairs. You could also buy a cheap beanbag and re-fab it in outdoor fabric, adding tags etc

There exist in the world such things:
Sunbrella Floating Pillows boat or pool | Sailmaker's Supply
Floating Luxuries
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, ramp