Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 19:11   #91

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb
Re: Is a 40 cat enough to sail oceans?

I did it in a L400, starting age 70. Not quite RTW, but 2/3 and about half single handed. Don't worry about speed. I probably averaged between 6-7 kt and made 40,000 nm in 3.5 years. I learned to start slowing down at 8 kt and had a hard limit of 10kt because of the pounding and stress on the hulls. We did hit 16 in the trades crossing the Atlantic, but sea state was unusually calm.

I ended up with 2 electric winches, both with $15 remotes off Amazon. Drop the endless loop furler. Your crew may be sick or disabled so you should be able to do everything single handed if necessary. I slept with AIS except in shipping lanes.

If you go with an L400 be sure the surveyor checks carefully the shelves holding the water tanks. There was a mod, but mine didn't have it and the port hull bulkheads had rotted and flexed so much the big lite popped out of the forward cabin in heavy seas. In their defense Lagoon paid for the very expensive repair of the bulkheads, etc. even though it was well out of warranty and I was the second owner!

If you can, just do it! Adopt a rear bunk, only use the engines when necessary, and no schedules except getting somewhere safe for the hurricane/cyclone/whatever seasons. L380's also seem to do well for less $.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 22:33   #92

Boat: Maxim 380

I guess mono boys are seriously intimidated by catamarans. Why else would they get all worked up and post their dribble on a catamaran page? If you are a powerboat girl or mono girl just move along. We are on a 38ft catamaran here in Tahiti and we don't see a problem crossing oceans. Trust me if they make it across the ocean to anchor by you on your cat they will still be envious.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:35   #93

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
I guess mono boys are seriously intimidated by catamarans. Why else would they get all worked up and post their dribble on a catamaran page? If you are a powerboat girl or mono girl just move along. We are on a 38ft catamaran here in Tahiti and we don't see a problem crossing oceans. Trust me if they make it across the ocean to anchor by you on your cat they will still be envious.

???

I doubt this.

I think almost everybody who has crossed an ocean is consumed by joy rather than envy.

Neither do I see much of intimidation. Many if not most mono sailors sail cats at times.

People mostly sail what they have. Mind that a nice 40' cat is often beyond financial reach of a cruiser too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:03   #94

Boat: Maxim 380

Sorry for the post after consuming rum! The main point was the mono owners who get on here to bash catamarans are annoying. It gets old seeing this on so many threads.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:00   #95

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
Sorry for the post after consuming rum! The main point was the mono owners who get on here to bash catamarans are annoying. It gets old seeing this on so many threads.

Ah. You know. Cat threads, Rocna threads ... ;-)

You are right sometimes people get stuck in 'mine is better'. We cannot help this, it is a forum and everybody expresses their opinion.

At times a most funny thing happens to me here too: I will post claiming small boats are a poor choice for offshore adventures - marginally safe, uncomfortable, etc. Then I get a little bashed. The funny part is I am in a 25' boat and those who bash me will be in 40' boats ... ;-)))))))))

CF can be a funny place too.

PS I love rhum too. Especially Clement Creole Shrubb - when we are THERE.

Cheers,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail