Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 03:01   #1

Is a $100k cat a pipedream?

Hi guys, I've just recently been struck with the dream of circumnavigating and I've gone from knowing almost nothing about sailing 2 weeks ago to my eyes struggling to focus from all the reading and research.
So far it looks like a catamaran will provide the most comfortable experience when living aboard for a long stretch.
The basic impression I get is not to spend your whole budget on you boat since you need to leave a reserve for repair and maintenance. Along this line of reasoning I was wondering if it is even reasonable to try and find a $100 000 catamaran for blue-water sailing (that doesn't require another $100k of repairs) or should I just give up and start looking at monohulls?
Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!
gekko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:49   #2

Re: Is a $100k cat a pipedream?

One word. Wharram
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:33   #3

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Mango a 40ft Bob Oram Cat, very well built by the designer just sold here in Australia for that figure in Oz $$$$.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:47   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thinwater, another member here is selling his PDQ. It's worth taking a look.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:44   #5

I have the same question So far I found a few cats, that maybe will suit my budget of 100K in a few years.
TOniGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:48   #6

Boat: Boatless

Monohull
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:57   #7

Just saw. 39' cat in Norfolk for sale on cl. 119000.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:08   #8

This is of course, purely subjective. More than 100 34foot Snowgooses- Snowgeese- are documented as having circumnavigated. So solid blue-water boats can be had for less than $100,000. Now the question is how much space do you want for how many people. Will you hug coasts wherever possible or go in straight lines?

The boat I have had a family of 8 on board from Florida to Chile, until two of the females reproduced and 8 +2 babies was too much.

Togetherness is subjective.

I will never again own a wooden hull, West System or not. Others don't blanch at that, again subjective. So I advise, making some of those decisions will answer your question.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:23   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekko15 View Post
Hi guys, I've just recently been struck with the dream of circumnavigating and I've gone from knowing almost nothing about sailing 2 weeks ago to my eyes struggling to focus from all the reading and research.
So far it looks like a catamaran will provide the most comfortable experience when living aboard for a long stretch.
The basic impression I get is not to spend your whole budget on you boat since you need to leave a reserve for repair and maintenance. Along this line of reasoning I was wondering if it is even reasonable to try and find a $100 000 catamaran for blue-water sailing (that doesn't require another $100k of repairs) or should I just give up and start looking at monohulls?
JMHO. Two weeks of reading or extended reading will not answer what type of boat. Reading always has personal bias of some sort. I think you need to get your feet wet, so to speak.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:38   #10

Boat: Former Privilege 48

Suggest you take another two weeks or more to learn how to sail.

Best of Luck
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:36   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here's a self-education resource which I put together for those new to buying boats. It's a lot to digest, but it has you asking yourself some significant questions, & the more honest your answers, the better your boat/candidate boats will suit you. Plus there's a link to some experts who assist sailors in finding the right boat.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2206710
Note to that in the above link, there are links to pages which give you a very realistic picture of what the cruising life is like. So... you'll likely be doing yourself a favor if you read & digest them.

That said, you might start with this if you're fully sold on multihulls, & definitely want to go cruising. Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 15:26   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
This is of course, purely subjective. More than 100 34foot Snowgooses- Snowgeese- are documented as having circumnavigated. So solid blue-water boats can be had for less than $100,000. Now the question is how much space do you want for how many people. Will you hug coasts wherever possible or go in straight lines?

The boat I have had a family of 8 on board from Florida to Chile, until two of the females reproduced and 8 +2 babies was too much.

Togetherness is subjective.

I will never again own a wooden hull, West System or not. Others don't blanch at that, again subjective. So I advise, making some of those decisions will answer your question.
It amuses me that without any experience of the sea you should want to sail round the word. The type of boat is not the question, the question is can you handle a 50 mile off shore passage in a force 6? Not fun going up wind. Try it and see if you want to sail 27,000 miles.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 16:59   #13

Boat: wanting a cat

IT bites you! Then the dream begins and the plans start! Throw enough positive energy in the direction of your goal and magic might just happen.

Good luck with your dream, I am in the same "boat" although with a different budget...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 20:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekko15 View Post
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to the forum and to your 1st post.
1. Yes, there are many cat's around 100k that can take you around this world.
2. No, you should not give up on anything.
3. Don't worry about some poster being amused by your dream. Maybe they don's have any.
4. Read as much as you can about the subject you're interested in. This forum is a great place to start. There are many seasoned sailors on this forum that you can learn from. Ask any questions you want and someone will answer and there are no stupid questions. Well, maybe a few.
5. Couple of websites to start your search
Browse Multi-Hull boats for sale
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/
Old 01-08-2017, 23:08   #15

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Can you get a solid cruising cat for under $100? I think so. In today's market, you should be able to get a very nice but older Privilege 39 for around $100k. . Long fixed keels allow for drying out and / or a bottom job, an advantage in remote areas with no haulout facilies. And no center or dagger boards to give trouble. Not fast by today's standards, they are solidly built with plenty of space for storage and living.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote