Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 12:42   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Interior...Which Would You Buy?

I just recently bought a 2011 Lagoon 450F, and I'm really agonizing over my cushions (I know.. I've posted about them before). Anyway, we have to replace ALL the cushions, inside and out, on our boat. (that's almost 30 cushions, so, we are talking a lot of money) so I want to do it right.

I've looked at every single 450F on the market in all model years, and I haven't seen a single one that doesn't have either the original fabrics (inside and out)… or similar fabric in similar neutral/solid color.

I won't get into everything, but there are a few fabrics I found that work better with the interior wood, which is really orange/yellowish,(I hate the wood in my boat.. yuck!) but they are NOT neutral or solid color. Since I always like to have an exit plan, I thought I would go to you all and get your input..

Would you be turned off by a boat (in EXCELLENT Condition) that didn't have the "all neutral fabric scheme" throughout the boat? Would you see it in photos, and say.. "eow… move along"? or, would it be a non issue for you? I'm not talking about something garish... just not your basic grey/brown/tan/white.... (the fabric I'm looking at it would probably be something you would see in a classic monohull… )

What do you think? I'd really appreciate your input....
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:03   #2

Boat: Hunter 35.5
Re: Interior...Which Would You Buy?

Got any pics? I like natural & lighter colors typically. If I see dark colors I keep looking. Accent colors are fine but I don't like say... the dark blue with anchors on them on all the areas. Good luck.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtstricky View Post
Got any pics? I like natural & lighter colors typically. If I see dark colors I keep looking. Accent colors are fine but I don't like say... the dark blue with anchors on them on all the areas. Good luck.
I do, but I haven't a clue on how to post them.. but here is a link to one of them...

https://www.discounteddesignerfabric...stery-fabric/#
Old 25-10-2019, 13:33   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If it were me looking, I'd try to find something that harmonized with the timber below. For outside, pick a color you like. Usually, exterior cushions take a beating, and when it's time to sell your boat, the new owner can pick something they like if they need to be re done at that time. You and your husband are the ones who will have to live with it, so pick something he's happy with, as well. The point is, it's your boat for the foreseeable future, and it is more important to please you.

Ann
Old 25-10-2019, 13:39   #5

Boat: Hunter 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I do, but I haven't a clue on how to post them.. but here is a link to one of them...

https://www.discounteddesignerfabric...stery-fabric/#
So my thought is maybe that on the bottom butt cushions and something lighter for the backs. However... I am the guy that has two different colored socks on today so don't listen to me.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 17:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtstricky View Post
So my thought is maybe that on the bottom butt cushions and something lighter for the backs. However... I am the guy that has two different colored socks on today so don't listen to me.
I'm doing something like that with the outdoor cushions.. something dark where you put your butt (won't show the dirt) and then a fun color on the side..
Old 25-10-2019, 19:20   #7

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
...have to replace ALL the cushions, inside and out, on our boat. (that's almost 30 cushions, so, we are talking a lot of money) so I want to do it right.
move along"? or, would it be a non issue
I would be concerned about paying for them twice. Once now and again when the future buyer wants a discount to change them.
Old 25-10-2019, 19:46   #8

The fabric that you posted is lovely, as is your boat!

When I was poking around on the internet, I saw that Sailrite has a fabric sample book (picture attached) that might have some additional fabrics that you might like. I've also attached pictures of a few Sunbrella fabrics that I thought looked interesting.

As to your original question about whether or not someone would pass on purchasing a boat based on its decorating. Everyone has different tastes, but I would not recommend a color scheme that would only appeal to a few (for example, neon lime green). Based on your comments and the fabric picture that you posted, you are not planning anything outlandish. I think you will be fine with your plans. I don't think your boat needs to look like every other one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailrite.GIF
Views:	179
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	202079   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunbrella nebula baltic.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	202080  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sunbrella Suki Marine Blue.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	202081   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunbrella seagate navy.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	202082  

cherylchecheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 20:51   #9

If your doing it for yourself go with whatever you like not what you think others will like.
If your doing it for resale or resale is in the back of your mind then go with neutral and as inoffensive as possible.
I redecorate houses, owners do what they want suede finish, blue walls green cupboards anything goes if your living in it. If your selling its white grey or beige.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 22:59   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

You can, however, make a few wild-coloured cushions that would make an otherwise drab seating run more exciting. They can be removed or replaced at sale time.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 02:48   #11

Sorry - double post.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 02:48   #12

Hi Scarlet,

Glad to see you're still persevering with all the new-boat-ownership bumps-in-the-road.

So! On to cushions, eh? My two cents would be that cushions can always be changed, the integrity/strength of the hull cannot - so anyone searching for a boat to purchase ought to have their priorities in order. If the colour of the cushions would put a buyer off a potential purchase, let them move on.

I'm with Ann. Pick something that you love. It's your home now. The next owner down the line can worry about what they like - when that time comes.

Warmly,
LittleWing
Old 26-10-2019, 02:53   #13

Oh! But never green. Does everyone know the sailor's superstition about no green on boats...?
Old 26-10-2019, 03:02   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:

I won't get into everything, but there are a few fabrics I found that work better with the interior wood, which is really orange/yellowish,(I hate the wood in my boat.. yuck!) but they are NOT neutral or solid color. Since I always like to have an exit plan, I thought I would go to you all and get your input..

What do you think? I'd really appreciate your input....

I can really understand you 100%... Acctually i was thinking the same when i chartered the 450F. A wonderfull boat, but the color of the wood inside just doesnt meets the appearance of the rest of the boat.

When i saw that, i was thinking of how to get rid of that, if i would ever own that boat (or any other boat that comes with that kind of wood, like the 400 or the 39).

I personally LOVE the new dark colored wood of the Lagoon 40 and up designs (i think they call it walnut colored alpi). That color combined with beige upholstery would be a classic combination.

If you really "hate" that design, you might think about changing the surface of your furniture by using furniture foil... It is sold in all kind of colors and you can add your prefered upholstery color as you like.

By doing that you can really make that boat look like a threequarter million dollar boat, like it deserves it!

Just my 2 cts... :-)

John
Old 26-10-2019, 03:52   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

Do what you like, how annoying to be looking at something that you are not that happy with just to maybe get a slightly better resale price years down the track. For all you know there maybe that buyer looking for a Lagoon that is not so vanilla. Personally all these white production boats really lack some panache.
I once sprayed my yacht Purple (She was called Purple Haze) and everyone said I would take a big hit on price selling her. When it came time to sell I did not even list her for sale, a friend of a friend who was a Jimmy Hendrix fan made an offer and I sold her.
For all you know yours might be the Lagoon that looks really awesome with the new cushions and easily sells.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, interior