Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2019, 07:06   #31

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Interior...Which Would You Buy?

One question I haven't seen answered is what you plan on doing with the boat and how long you intend to keep the boat. Since you are talking about selling it at some point, that suggests that you only intend to keep it a few years. IF that is the case, then a more neutral color that is likely to appeal to more people is probably the most cost effective way to go while at the same time keeping you reasonably happy.

If on the other hand you intend to keep the boat for some time, pick the colours you desire and consider changing the interior wood colours.

Good luck with your decision!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 12:53   #32

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
Buy a sewing machine, DIY, much easier than you think. For outside, use clear colors. Navy blue comes very exposed to the sun.
Good luck
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 16:59   #33

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I would be concerned about paying for them twice. Once now and again when the future buyer wants a discount to change them.
exactly...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 17:02   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Oh! But never green. Does everyone know the sailor's superstition about no green on boats...?
oh.... do tell...
Old 27-10-2019, 17:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
I can really understand you 100%... Acctually i was thinking the same when i chartered the 450F. A wonderfull boat, but the color of the wood inside just doesnt meets the appearance of the rest of the boat.

When i saw that, i was thinking of how to get rid of that, if i would ever own that boat (or any other boat that comes with that kind of wood, like the 400 or the 39).

I personally LOVE the new dark colored wood of the Lagoon 40 and up designs (i think they call it walnut colored alpi). That color combined with beige upholstery would be a classic combination.

If you really "hate" that design, you might think about changing the surface of your furniture by using furniture foil... It is sold in all kind of colors and you can add your prefered upholstery color as you like.

By doing that you can really make that boat look like a threequarter million dollar boat, like it deserves it!

Just my 2 cts... :-)

John
I really wanted to change the wood... tried some finishes, just didn't look great... I never heard of the "foils" though... going to go look at those.
Old 27-10-2019, 17:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchecheryl View Post
Also, the color of the cushions should impact the perceived color of the wood. A glossy varnish or satin can really change the look compared to a matt finish too. With cushions off could you spray varnish on the wood?
That's what I'm thinking regarding the cushion color. "blend and distract" sort of philosophy. You don't want the color to clash... but you definitely want to draw they eye to ANYTHING but the color of the wood.

I hadn't thought about adding a varnish... I may try that on a few select pieces.. like our armoire in the master hull.. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 27-10-2019, 17:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post

There's a great group on Facebook called Sewing on Boats (SOBs). The people in that group are very savvy, some of them make boat cushions for a living. They recommend fabrics and color schemes and also tell you the mistakes they've seen and made.

Good luck
I'm already a member...
Old 27-10-2019, 17:19   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
I hope you don't mind me answering a question with another question. Have you considered painting over the interior wood with some color you like? I know it seems somehow sacrilegious to cover all that 'fine wood'. But, boat interiors can be dark, dreary or otherwise unappealing. My wife has suggested this and she makes a good point. As far as seating fabric I'd want something durable that will not show dirt. Good luck.
I'm definitely looking at something that will not show dirt. We have White in there right now, and it gets so dirty.... Plus, we have a couple of dogs, who aren't messy at all... but it is 8 more feet to drag in dirt.

As for painting.. If I was to paint, it would only be a little here and there. White painted wood gets dirty easily, and also shows dings and scratches... But, perhaps a color, like chocolate brown, or a charcoal, or something...
Old 27-10-2019, 17:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
One question I haven't seen answered is what you plan on doing with the boat and how long you intend to keep the boat. Since you are talking about selling it at some point, that suggests that you only intend to keep it a few years. IF that is the case, then a more neutral color that is likely to appeal to more people is probably the most cost effective way to go while at the same time keeping you reasonably happy.

If on the other hand you intend to keep the boat for some time, pick the colours you desire and consider changing the interior wood colours.

Good luck with your decision!
We are going to live aboard, and cruise for retirement... I hope we will be on it at least 10 years or more. We take really good care of our things.. some of our furniture in our house is 25 years old, and it still looks brand new.. so, I'm hoping with good care that the fabric will still look great when we go to sell...
Old 27-10-2019, 19:53   #40

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Oh! But never green. Does everyone know the sailor's superstition about no green on boats...?
I think that refers to provisioning
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 22:55   #41

Since when is navy not a neutral color? It looks great with all sorts of woods, even the yellowish tones I saw when I looked for Lagoon 450F interiors.

Wow, there's a lot of light in there! Whatever fabric you go with, be sure it'll hold up against the high UV exposure.

The boat is bright enough to handle navy cushions without feeling dark or heavy. The color would be a nice contrast with the wood, and might even make it seem less yellow/orange.

I think the small geometric print you linked to is very formal, compared to the relaxed, airy feel of the boat.

My boat cushions are dark teal with a subtle small scale pattern. It is more formal than I would have chosen, but it's fine until it wears out. The color is wrong, but the pattern is similar to this:

When the cushions need to be replaced (not soon I hope!) I'll go with a more casual pattern, something that looks less like a grandmother's couch. I'll probably also go with something lighter to brighten up the dim teak cabin in my monohull.
Winter River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 05:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter River View Post

I think the small geometric print you linked to is very formal, compared to the relaxed, airy feel of the boat.
I tend to be more on the formal side when decorating, for sure...even in our casual spaces... just my preference... but, still.. you do make a good point. There is a difference between "grandma's couch formal"... and casual elegance. So, I think that I do need to get a different fabric. something not so "stiff" looking.

On a side note.. someone posted on one of my facebook groups about cushions they redid. They did a charcoal grey, which was nice, but I noticed that the backing behind their cushions was white fiberglass, then the wood trim started above that. It looked really nice and crisp, and I hardly noticed their orange wood. So, I'm thinking that, whatever fabric I go for, I will paint that backing wall (a very small amount of the total area) bright white, which will really make the couch pop, draw attention to that area, and help the wood recede out of focus.

I'm loving all these ideas, and suggestions.. keep them coming!!!
Old 28-10-2019, 12:25   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's another idea, since you like the deep blues. Consider Ultrasuede. Some friends of ours did the saloon in their mono with it, and it really IS washable. They're red wine drinkers, never a stain. It looks nice and feels good both in warm and in cooler places. In her case, she matched the blue of her eyes to it, and the color was always harmonious with her.

Ann
Old 28-10-2019, 14:16   #44

Boat: Looking now!

My wife and I really liked this video of a cushion re-model and fabric change.
https://youtu.be/WwAJLVihimk
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 20:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook1e View Post
My wife and I really liked this video of a cushion re-model and fabric change.
https://youtu.be/WwAJLVihimk
I really liked that video, too. Loved the granite table, too.... But I would worry about it cracking in the boat.

Also, for those who don't know... Crypton is an amazing fabric... If you contact them they will send you a sample kit... The fabric is super high quality... They use it in cruise ships and hotels because of its stain resistance and durability. Lots of amazing designs... Highly recommend it.

Tags
grass, interior