Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 14:59   #46

Re: In search of perfect expedition boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Adventure doesn't have to be 24hr per day, does it?
Now tell me, if weather outside is sh*t on that atoll, or water is cold, or you're in the middle of the ocean with sharks around you, or you hiked all day long and smell like hell, and you or your wife/GF want to relax under hot shower or in bathtub before bed (or before sex, for that matter), just not to look or smell like pig, is there anything wrong with that?
Is it absolutely necessary to shower from kettle? Is that adds "romantic" to you? Or is THIS is an adventure?
Or you simply can't afford or can't repair/do maintenance on these things, so you're saying you don't need them?
You misread my post. I was "agreeing" with you. I think a bathtub is a very cool idea.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 16:05   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
You misread my post. I was "agreeing" with you. I think a bathtub is a very cool idea.
I'm really sorry! There's so much sarcasm on this forum, sometimes it's hard to believe when someone actually says something positive
Peace!
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 20:29   #48

Quote:
I'm really sorry! There's so much sarcasm on this forum, sometimes it's hard to believe when someone actually says something positive
Peace!
No problemo! Yup, lots of sarcasm here from time to time.

I wasn't joking. I often dream about how cool it would be to take a LONG bath in my boat anchored at a remote Pacific atoll. Relaxing, indeed! I don't want to be forced to take "standing showers" every day. Look at the prices of sailing yachts. People talk about all the "toys" they wish to have on board. I think a nice long bathtub is another very cool needed item, on my boat at least. I'll have one.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:04   #49

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Yea, that is a nice boat! Do they take liver as partial payment?

Budget is well under 1M (that includes both - purchase and refit), so new boats, new custom build, and all proper expedition boats, also all power boats are out of question BY FAR.
"Budget well under 1M" is pretty vague. Could be $100 or $950,000. So we don't know if you are dreaming out loud or actually ready to move on this idea. It helps to have a general idea, we can then know how feasible your ideas are. Another words, I think at $850,000, you could come pretty close to reaching your requirements, $100 not so much.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 21:19   #50

I forgot to mention, something like THIS is what I actually have in mind. The CTS6036WHL2HXW - 60" x 36" - Comfort Whirlpool Bathtub with 8 jets. - armrests included. Thank you, Mr. Jacuzzi! Again, I'm not joking. That's proper COOL adventure sailing.

In fact, there are some bathtubs here in Japan with cool contours, multicolor underwater LEDs when the lights are off, and built-in waterproof monitors, so you and the Mrs can watch a movie, play on the Net, run your Raymarine gear, or look around the anchorage using a remote-controlled mast-mounted camera and spot lamp, all while getting a relaxing Jacuzzi massage down below - with bubbles and glasses of whiskey or wine.

And why stop there? I imagine reaching Beveridge Reef after sunset, and after a long tiring sail. First I reef the sails, then go below. Start the Jacuzzi tub (with bubbles and fine champagne, of course), then use the monitor and remote controls to start the diesel, turn on the masthead mounted halogen spot lamp and camera, man the helm, and cruise on through the entrance and arrive at our anchoring spot - all while relaxing below in a bubblebath Jacuzzi. Now how cool would THAT be?

Yeah ... well ... I like thinking outside the box sometimes.

"Hey SV Delos crew!... You've been to Beveridge Reef. You know what I'm taking about." (haha)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cts6036wrl2hx.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	143934  
Old 25-03-2017, 22:10   #51

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I didn't watch the video in its entirety but, what I saw really was the best I have seen too. So if this Little Harbor 75 is available, it fits your requirements and you have sufficient Shekels, why not buy it? It may be the best buy you can make.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 23:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
So we don't know if you are dreaming out loud or actually ready to move on this idea. It helps to have a general idea, we can then know how feasible your ideas are.
Honestly - what is the difference? I'm very new to sailing world. 1 year ago I knew nothing about it. Like absolutely nothing, zero. I've learned a lot since, studied tremendous amount of information, watching the market very closely for last year. So I know, what's on the market, how prices change, etc. I know that I'm much closer to my dreamboat now than year ago, not because I've won lottery, but because prices on many boats dropped a lot. I actually see few boats which I would buy and refit, but current price plus refit is way over my budget. But the things are getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Another words, I think at $850,000, you could come pretty close to reaching your requirements
850K buys me 3-4-year old Lagoon 620, with 500K extras included in it, which basically has everything except the workshop, which is easy to make in one of the cabins. So it's no-brainer, no challenge. I'll tell you more - there's one Lagoon 620 on the market right now, which already has 2-person jacuzzi in owners hull The only drawback - over 5ft draft, but I can possibly live with that
It's actually might be an option, when prices will drop further, if nothing else will show up on the market.
I've posted OP here to find out if someone actually seen something like that in catamaran form. Besides, it's nice to see different opinions from different people. It helps me understand things.
Let's call it a dream, I don't mind. Let's dream together. Let say we decided to spend 600-650K, catamaran plus refit. 50K from that reserved for nice solar/battery bank, so we have 600K max to spend, catamaran plus refit. Result (after refit) has to have all modern electronics (installed by me), 10kW of solar, 50kWh Li-Po battery bank, storage for ROV and jetski (and regular dinghy, of course!), AC, dehumidifiers everywhere, dive compressor, scuba gear, flybridge, second hydraulic helm station inside, workshop, size - 55-65ft. Now that's a challenge, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
I didn't watch the video in its entirety but, what I saw really was the best I have seen too. So if this Little Harbor 75 is available, it fits your requirements and you have sufficient Shekels, why not buy it? It may be the best buy you can make.
I'm addicted to catamaran, so monohull is no go for me. Besides, huge solar array idea doesn't work well on monohull.
Old 25-03-2017, 23:41   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I forgot to mention, something like THIS is what I actually have in mind. The CTS6036WHL2HXW - 60" x 36" - Comfort Whirlpool Bathtub with 8 jets. - armrests included. Thank you, Mr. Jacuzzi! Again, I'm not joking. That's proper COOL adventure sailing.

In fact, there are some bathtubs here in Japan with cool contours, multicolor underwater LEDs when the lights are off, and built-in waterproof monitors, so you and the Mrs can watch a movie, play on the Net, run your Raymarine gear, or look around the anchorage using a remote-controlled mast-mounted camera and spot lamp, all while getting a relaxing Jacuzzi massage down below - with bubbles and glasses of whiskey or wine.

Yeah ... well ... I like thinking outside the box sometimes.

"Hey SV Delos crew!... You've been to Beveridge Reef. You know what I'm taking about." (haha)
Yes, these jacuzzi can be purchased for little money (I've installed couple of them in houses), they're light (fiberglass), can be combined with shower, so they don't take much space. The motor - usually 3/4 hp (500W or something like that) - if there's good solar/battery setup, it won't be a problem at all - unlikely it will be used very often anyway.
Actually, I've seen such jacuzzi installed on the deck. Let see if I can find the picture ))
Old 25-03-2017, 23:58   #54

Here you go
On bigger cats jacuzzi often installed on flybridge, but these usually are very big catamarans.

Old 26-03-2017, 00:11   #55

Quote:
Result (after refit) has to have all modern electronics (installed by me), 10kW of solar, 50kWh Li-Po battery bank, storage for ROV and jetski (and regular dinghy, of course!), AC, dehumidifiers everywhere, dive compressor, scuba gear, flybridge, second hydraulic helm station inside, workshop, size - 55-65ft. Now that's a challenge, eh?
And believe it or not, there is actually one catamaran on the market which meets ALL of above criteria except solar/battery, workshop and dehumidifiers. And 1.2m draft! Can be beached! Listed at 750K. If price will drop to 500K, I guess I will have no choice but to buy it
Old 26-03-2017, 02:28   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Once again I am astonished at how much "knowledge" one can obtain about sailing, boat systems, electronics, plumbing and most of all, the maintaining of all the above... in a year of internet research.. and apparently without ever going sailing on a real boat or fixing a single faulty system.

One awaits further developments with great anticipation!

Jim
Old 26-03-2017, 02:59   #57
QBF

You might look at Seal which is a 56-foot aluminum boat designed for high-latitude sailing expeditions.

Seal spent five seasons in the Antarctic, and is now in Alaska.

* Sailboat Seal - Website
Expedition Sail -- charter yacht Seal in Alaska, Antarctica & South Georgia

* Sailboat Seal - Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/expeditionsail/

* Sailboat Seal - Designer's website
Seal - 56' High Latitude Exploration Yacht
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailboat Seal.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	143943  
QBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 03:06   #58

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
And believe it or not, there is actually one catamaran on the market which meets ALL of above criteria except solar/battery, workshop and dehumidifiers. And 1.2m draft! Can be beached! Listed at 750K. If price will drop to 500K, I guess I will have no choice but to buy it
If it's that close to your ideal, contact the sellers (after doing some research), & work out a mutually beneficial deal. Why kick yourself over the one that got away?

Then again, I'm also with Jim. Get out there & experience the lifestyle. Even if you just buy a $10k Catalina 30 for now. You'll have a great time. And on them you can do 95% of your own work with about 2 tool boxes, plus a few sanders. Which you should. Learning to work on them's part of the self reliance, seamanship oundations, self pride thing that goes with sailing.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 03:42   #59

Quote:
Interesting. That's good. My opinion? If you have $500K ready to roll, you should not be here. Go make the deal. When it comes to used boats, it's a "buyers market". Also, don't forget what I wrote to you in my original reply. Before you set sail on your "far off" ocean expeditions/adventures, get REAL familiar with what's needed - beyond being a damn good sailor. Bon voyage!
Old 26-03-2017, 04:04   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
If it's that close to your ideal, contact the sellers (after doing some research), & work out a mutually beneficial deal. Why kick yourself over the one that got away?

Then again, I'm also with Jim. Get out there & experience the lifestyle. Even if you just buy a $10k Catalina 30 for now. You'll have a great time. And on them you can do 95% of your own work with about 2 tool boxes, plus a few sanders. Which you should. Learning to work on them's part of the self reliance, seamanship oundations, self pride thing that goes with sailing.
Holy sh*t! $250K of difference you call "very close"?! Two hundred fifty thousand dollars?! I think it's huge difference (and huge amount of money for me, regardless of anything).
For both - seller and buyer.
For seller sometimes it takes years to realize price has to come down. A specially, if seller is wealthy person, and more important, if he has place to keep boat for free/very cheap. I've contacted seller of that boat directly. He is wealthy person indeed. Even though I found him directly, I don't think he even would be willing to close deal directly, without broker (to save - how much? 10%?).

For buyer - $250K - that's many years of cruising, if one won't be stupid and will be doing most work on the boat himself.

As for second part - it might be hard to understand for you, guys, but for me adventure - to see remote places, diving there, exploring the oceans, other activities. Sailing - not so much. I love idea of having my own home with me, but I'm not a sailor. Sailing for me (for now, at least) - way of getting from point A to point B without starting the engines. If there would be solar powered boat within my price range, I would prefer that. If power boat wouldn't consume so much fuel, I would take that as well. May be I will become addicted to sailing later on. And that will be different story.

As for repair - I don't see any magic in the boat in that regard. Engine is the engine, I can fix and rebuild one if needed. Plumbing is plumbing. I can fix and modify any of it without any problem. Rigging? Watching how S/V Delos replaced their rigging, I can tell that with one helper I can do it easily.
Sanding? Paint? Don't see any problems there, I have all required equipment and knowledge. Electronics? Electrical? I have electronics engineer degree, so you might guess, I have no problems with that. Fiberglass repair? Haven't done big projects, just small ones, but that's no big deal, right? Aluminum boat? Stainless parts? I have welders for that. What else? Sails? I will buy Sailrite, my wife would take care of that, as well as upholstery, seat covers, etc.
So that 10K boat will eventually suck from me $20-30K (moorage, taxes, materials, parts), creating headache at the end - I've read many stories of guys trying to sell cheap old boats for many months if not years. I might as well save these money and use them for refit of boat that I will buy. As for learning to sail - yes, I will do that of course. Things are lining up slowly. Knowledge, finances, skills. Much slower than I want, but it's not easy to jump out of the box after you were living in that box all your life.

Tags
arc, boat