Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 19:11   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
My friend was single-handing a 42 footer at 91 and up till the day he passed at 92 he was vigorous and very alive and animated. It has been said that taking off cruising full time will add an additional 10 years to your expected life-span. I believe it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:46   #17

Boat: contessa 32
Re: How Long Can We Do this ?

Cruising doesn't necessarly mean crossing oceans. that aspect is probably in my past, but there may come a time to down size to a smaller more easily managed craft (trawler?) or just go part time and live ashore the rest.For some this could be the best of both worlds since when things get tiresome onboard one can retreat to a modest home (apt.?) ,keep the admiral happy,make some money,and enjoy those things that are forbidden to full time cruisers.
I'm still in sailing mode ,but sold the steel ocean basher to downsize to a camper cruiser (in my 50s) and had many memorable cruises in places where deep draft prohibited or access was impossible without a trailer to get there. All the sailing adventure was still there in spades because a ho hum passage in your steel crab crusher will test your seamanship to the max in a more dainty craft.
Btw :I have since moved up again to a larger (contessa 32) so can still cruise in an more open ocean enviornment but still own the little 900# sharpie on its trailer and am looking forward to cruising her again in more protected waters when age prevents adventures further afield. Peace.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 07:51   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

Here's an update on old fart sailing:

After many years of increasing knee pain, Ann's knees gave out last November in Manly, Qld. When we reached the Sydney area she was no longer seaworthy. Had arthroscopic repairs to both knees just before Xmas, and then hung about the Pittwater area for months doing Physio stuff. Big failure. So, flew back to the states (MEdicare, ya know) and last week she had both knees replaced with seagoing Titanium joints. There is a long and unpleasant recovery and rehabilitation period ahead, but we fully intend to return to Insatiable II and continue cruising.

It CAN be done...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-05-2011, 08:10   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailing makes and keeps ye young--sail until ye cant stand then get repaired then go for more..... beats the alternatives out there... nursing homes and such.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 08:46   #20

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I have a patient who is still cruising at 80. He sees me from time to time to have skin cancers removed and get an STD check.

Mike
STD checks at 80!? I dont even know where to start with that. I love this forum.
Old 22-05-2011, 08:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
STD checks at 80!? I dont even know where to start with that. I love this forum.

Why do you think he is still cruising?
Old 28-05-2011, 14:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

Here's an update on old fart sailing:

After many years of increasing knee pain, Ann's knees gave out last November in Manly, Qld. When we reached the Sydney area she was no longer seaworthy. Had arthroscopic repairs to both knees just before Xmas, and then hung about the Pittwater area for months doing Physio stuff. Big failure. So, flew back to the states (MEdicare, ya know) and last week she had both knees replaced with seagoing Titanium joints. There is a long and unpleasant recovery and rehabilitation period ahead, but we fully intend to return to Insatiable II and continue cruising.

It CAN be done...

Cheers,

Jim
Hope the rehab is shorter and better than you expect! My wife just had spinal surgery for a ruptured disc, and is feeling great. Taking it very easy for the next few weeks though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 15:03   #23

Boat: Custom

Hi Jim

Sorry to hear about Ann's troubles. Nothing worse.

I have had a 4 year rehab from back injury including a triple fusion. Unfortunately I am still working up the courage to go sailing.

I can barely drive a car for an hour so not sure I can risk sailing, and endangering the people who have to come and get me.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 02:54   #24

Cruising fulltime at last after a second hip replacement. Getting in the dinghy is probably the most challenging operation but the constant motion has been good for strengthening hip muscles. Hiking poles help push me up all those long beaches.
We feel as though we didn't have a minute to waste in getting inboard. Finally it seems we might have put a halt to the degeneration for a while. Skype helps with family distance so get a good wifi system.
Sail conservatively - sail safe all.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 04:39   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Presently, I only see the concern of being older while cruising as it relates to the time required to receive emergengy care during a crisis. Heart issues and strokes are much more likely to have better outcomes with quick medical aide. At this time, in our mid-sixties, we are not concerned with the physical operation of our boat. My manual windlass and winches provide a beneficial physical activity when spending many days aboard and not bicycling or walking. I'm not sure what comforts a home ashore would provide for us as we age. This fall we will complete forty years of living aboard and cruising. As we've never had a house, we have some anxiety about the future move ashore that will likely come with failing health. I suspect that some people's concerns about cruising stem from their lack of experience and have little real justification just as our concerns of leaving cruising for shore will likely not be a real problem.