Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 07:50   #31

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
That certainly is a lovely apartment
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 16:16   #32

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Re: Galley Position

Galley up is the only way that works for us. We love the open plan indoor/outdoor flow that it gives us. Not to mention the vis' when nipping in to put the kettle on

Cheers
Lisa
Old 01-10-2012, 16:28   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I like the galley down. Get it out of the way of traffic in and out of the boat, keep the mess out of the salon area--I don't want to look at that during dinner. Galley up looks great at the boat show when everything is nice, new, and shiny, but after years of living aboard the galley inevitably gets to look more like a working kitchen, with grease stains, stuff hanging all over the place, dirty dishes in the sink, etc. I would rather that be out of direct eye sight when I am entertaining guests, or just enjoying my meal. Plus, the closer to the waterline the less motion there is, even on a cat. Some galley up arrangements have the galley at a height of many feet above the waterline, which will be much more lively offshore.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22   #34

Boat: between boats

another vote for galley up. IMHO this question is best left to the preference of the admiral/galley wenches involved.

When we started our search the admiral thought galley down would be a deal breaker due to the extra bench space mainly ie galley HAD to be down. now after nearly 3 months on board a galley up boat she is so glad we ended up going that way and says so all the time.

When its rough she can get seasick down in a hull but is fine in the bright and airey saloon which means i dont wind up being galley wench as well as deck hand on longer trips.

When on the pick not having to go up and down stairs with food, drinks, plates etc all day is much more comfortable and less seperation from living areas actually makes it easier for both of us help prepare a meal at the same time.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27   #35

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We have had both, down in a Sailcraft Iroquois and Telstar Tri, and up in FP Maldives and FP Athena and both work ok.

Sailing short handed, to be able to cook or even make a hot drink and keep a good watch is a real plus for galley up. You do need adequate headroom on the bridgedeck or the ability to sit down to cook (as I did on the Maldives) so it favours the bigger boats. However, our aft galley on the Maldives killed a lot of kettles as the boat de-accelerated sailing fast in head seas.

Galley down may have better ready storage, and less motion but is less social (who has the wine bottle!!!) and usually no room for communal help for the cook to prepare and wash up.

Both require lots of anti slip and heat resistant mats if you cook in a seaway and don't wish your food to arrive via the floor. The clean lines and smooth surfaces of modern cats are designed for use at anchor or alongside and seem to have received little thought for use while actually at sea.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:50   #36
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

While I agree with those who suggest than neither would be a deal breaker, I believe that there is much to commend a galley-down in a boat of the size the OP asked about - 37 feet LOA. As cats move past 40 feet LOA, it is much easier to have adequate counter/storage space with a galley-up than it is in smaller boats; furthermore, as LOA increases, there is also an increased likelihood that the galley-up can be accomplished without taking away from other critical parts of the bridgedeck accomodation for a cruising boat - e.g., a full sized, sit-down chart table/nav station.

Some smaller cats with galleys-up have virtually no bracing in a seaway, whereas a galley down in a similarly sized cat will typically provide excellent bracing. Many smaller cats with a galley-up have chart tables that are clearly an afterthought, without seating or space to spread out a paper chart. Yes, the nav station can be installed in one of the hulls, but at a cost of being unable to effectively communicate with the cockpit/helm, or being able to see forward from the nav station when sailing short-handed and the helmsperson is required to go below to use nav station.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 14:30   #37
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star
While I agree with those who suggest than neither would be a deal breaker, I believe that there is much to commend a galley-down in a boat of the size the OP asked about - 37 feet LOA. As cats move past 40 feet LOA, it is much easier to have adequate counter/storage space with a galley-up than it is in smaller boats; furthermore, as LOA increases, there is also an increased likelihood that the galley-up can be accomplished without taking away from other critical parts of the bridgedeck accomodation for a cruising boat - e.g., a full sized, sit-down chart table/nav station.

Some smaller cats with galleys-up have virtually no bracing in a seaway, whereas a galley down in a similarly sized cat will typically provide excellent bracing. Many smaller cats with a galley-up have chart tables that are clearly an afterthought, without seating or space to spread out a paper chart. Yes, the nav station can be installed in one of the hulls, but at a cost of being unable to effectively communicate with the cockpit/helm, or being able to see forward from the nav station when sailing short-handed and the helmsperson is required to go below to use nav station.

Brad
Brad, you always put things into a good perspective.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:28   #38
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Thanks SMJ - a real compliment considering the quality of your contributions and the extensive experience you have with catamarans. Of course, I'm not sure if others agree with either of us!

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star
Thanks SMJ - a real compliment considering the quality of your contributions and the extensive experience you have with catamarans. Of course, I'm not sure if others agree with either of us!

Cheers!

Brad
Hi Brad,

Personally I enjoy the differing perspectives from people with differing experiences. This has been a good thread because it hasn't descended to the "my way is better" level! Most of the topics here are to do with personal taste, the bottom line being "what I have suits me even although others might no share the same opinion". So thank you all for your contributions - and keeping the standard high - its been fun!
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 18:01   #40

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

OK, the Galley up or down numbers so far are.

Galley UP=12

Galley Down=5
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 18:08   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Galley up facilitates cockpit dining.
Old 03-10-2012, 23:58   #42

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I may be wrong, but a galley down in the same fore aft position would have less motion in a seaway than the galley up.
Spent a week on a Seawind 1000 in the Whitsundays earlier this year and found my partner could not handle downstairs in the galley except at anchor(vessel not moving).

On a small vessel there is not much choice, but on a larger vessel having a well designed galley up is my choice.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26   #43

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

I went cat to ensure you didn't have to go down into the bowels of a boat to get out of the weather. The Admiral wanted galley up so she or whoever is cooking or cleaning up is not out of the action - sailing or partying. One thing for sure, you don't want to have to go downstairs every time you want a "cold one". Just some more opinions for a topic that has no right or wrong.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:38   #44

I liked the down galley. While being up where "the action is" when you are entertaining is great, you also live with the kitchen mess, smell etc up in the main salon. Alot of weight up high also. Let's face it... how often do you actually entertain on a boat? and on a cat, during and prior to dinner, everyone is in the cockpit anyway!

Oh... I forgot to add, the storage and counterspace on my down galley was huge! Full size home style sink, probably 2 ft of counter either side of the sink, large refrigerator with separate freezer, drawers and overhead cabinets!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45   #45

Boat: Arber 14m Sou'easter

courses for horses - I have cruised for 2 months on a galley down in a Perry 43 - worked fine ..
Ended up buying a 46 ' Arber which is galley down and it is very open plan ...easy to be connected to people in the saloon ,plenty of room for people to pass by or help..plus fantastic storage - def would lose storage by being up...plus our saloon is huge and so airy....and the nav area is uncluttered and great access....
Have seen galley down designs that one would feel cut off in and that would be completely different...my thoughts are ..it is down to the overall boat design...if the galley is well designed and fits in well a good galley down can work very well.
1paulg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley