Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49   #46

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Galley Position

The Tomcat 9.7 is probably one of the best Galley down views that I have seen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060274.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	47832   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060275.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	47848  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 14:31   #47

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar
The Tomcat 9.7 is probably one of the best Gally down views that I have seen
Nice.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23   #48

Boat: Under Construction

Thank you for all the comments looks like galley up it is. Will post picture when complete.
Zindab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:14   #49

Boat: Building a Schionning Wilderness 44ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Alot of weight up high also.
I'm currently building a Schionning cat and the designer said to me that his preference was to have the weight carried between the hulls on the bridgedeck instead of having the weight down in the hulls. This come about because I asked whether there would be any issues with me placing my water tanks under the soles of the boat in each hull instead of in front of the mast on the bridgedeck. It has something to do with the cats motion and responsiveness in different sea states. In my case I was looking at placing 200kg in each hull. My build comes with a preference of galley up or down. I chose galley up and could not see any difference between having galley down and tanks up or tanks down and galley up so chose the latter.
phillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:37   #50

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillw View Post
I'm currently building a Schionning cat and the designer said to me that his preference was to have the weight carried between the hulls on the bridgedeck instead of having the weight down in the hulls. This come about because I asked whether there would be any issues with me placing my water tanks under the soles of the boat in each hull instead of in front of the mast on the bridgedeck. It has something to do with the cats motion and responsiveness in different sea states. In my case I was looking at placing 200kg in each hull. My build comes with a preference of galley up or down. I chose galley up and could not see any difference between having galley down and tanks up or tanks down and galley up so chose the latter.

Interesting that a designer would prefer weight on the bridgedeck rather than under cabin sole in center of hulls. Other designers would disagree Perhaps racing cats are different.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:47   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Interesting that a designer would prefer weight on the bridgedeck rather than under cabin sole in center of hulls. Other designers would disagree Perhaps racing cats are different.
it makes them more stable....upside down?.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:40   #52

Boat: Under Construction

Yeah I would agree with weight down , yet water storage on the one I am building is behind the mast under lounge ? (go figure) on my 45 foot boat water is under floor would be interesting to understand the relationship of these dynamics without designers personal opinion ( actual stress on boat )
Zindab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25   #53
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I find it surprising that any naval architect would prefer putting the heaviest part of the accomodation on the bridgedeck as it will raise the Cg and add stress to the joinder between the hulls and the bridgedeck. Perhaps his concern related to balancing the weight as between the two hulls - i.e., wanting to have relatively equal weight to the accomodation and stores in each hull? From what I can see, the weight of the galley down in the starboard hull of my boat is balanced by the fact that both heads and the work bench/spares storage are in the port hull.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19   #54

Apparently Crowther saw it the same way as Schionning. My Catana has, all at bridge level, even w/mast, stbd to port: stbd fuel; next, anchor; next, another locker; port, port fuel. Directly aft, centered just behind mast, is water, accessed from settee back. On stbd aft cabin bulkhead is the fridge, on port is stove.

All weight seems to be centered/ distributed at bridge except of course the engines and heads are aft.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley