Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 15:43   #16

Boat: L42
You will need to consider your budget, as some have mentioned the Privelige can be pricey.

Also the FP does not tend to offer as much head room, don't know if that matters to you but a big deal to us fully grown guys.......
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 17:13   #17
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Lone Star? Why not Shiner?
Old 18-09-2009, 15:16   #18

Hi,Moving from a monohull to our first cat.We intend to live aboard and do some off shore sailing.Living in New Zealand,(near the end of the world) we do not have either the Lagoon 400 or the Lipari 41 in the country to see.We have done all our research so far on the net.How do these compare ?Our concerns are ;The hulls of the Lipari being darker than the lagoon with a feeling of crawling into a "rabbit hole" of a cabin.The Lagoon seems lighter and more of a normal "bedroom feel of an apartment "which apeals.We have been warned that the F P will sail much better ?Anybody been or going to both these?Any independant help would be most welcome thanks Peter
peter windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 16:03   #19

Boat: L42
Supposedly performance was a key goal of the 400. I will be taking a test sail on one on October the 13th after Annapolis. I will post my impressions afterward.

One of the things I am looking for is headroom as I am 6 foot 4 and the FP traditionally does not seem to have much in the way of headroom.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 16:48   #20

Hi,That would be fantastic.We considered that show but it looks like the Lipari will not be there and it is a long trek to only see one of the two ! we are both just under 6ft.We did eliminate the Fusion 40 as it seemed a liitle tight below.We basically want an apartment on water. BUT don't want a sailing tank as we do love the sailing side(we had a Farr 1020).Lookforward to your report Cheers Peter
Old 18-09-2009, 18:55   #21

I saw Lagoon 400 today at Seattle Boat Show. She looks fantastic. She looks huge (for 38 footer). She looks like palace with high ceiling. OK, I am only 6' so my judgment of high ceiling is different than for somebody 6'4" - hence the exaggeration. Reportedly, she easily sails in double digits, motors at 8-9kts, still providing excellent load carrying capability. I liked many other things (in no particular order): forward facing nav station, great galley (though sinks seem a little bit too shallow for sea), washer/dryer unit, watertight bulkheads forward/aft, engine rooms out of accommodation, hard bimini, pre-built space for generator, one-step access to the cockpit, all lines brought to helm (even startboard jibsheet). My only concern would be upwind performance because of high windage area.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 21:31   #22

Thanks this is exactly the type of info we are looking for.
Old 20-09-2009, 17:03   #23

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I have sailed Lagoon, R&C and own a F-P. Have not seen the new boats but hope to see them in Annapolis. The Lagoons are the slowest and heaviest. F-P has plenty of headroom, my Mahe has 6'7" in the saloon. and no cat is as good as a mono going to wind.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 17:24   #24

Thanks Scott and Bamboo sailor ,great help.I understand the outside coffee table is interchangeable.Yes i understand the "into wind ' difference and am happy with the trade off by not having my brains rocked out ,as has been the case in our previous mono hull years, i also understand these two are both "only Toyoyas' and sail as such.Look forward to hearing more
Old 20-09-2009, 17:58   #25

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Don't know what the budget is but you should check out the St. Francis.. I was really impressed with them at at the boat show">Miami boat show... out of my budget, but a Great CAT... Don't know how much time you will be spending moving between places...but my guess is not nearly as much time as you will be spending at those places... so to me comfort trumps speed...if I need to get out of a storms path I will fire up the engines... otherwise, 4-5 knts is just fine for fishing and the morning coffee... so the Lagoon 420 is my choice so far but I do like the FPs...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 19:58   #26

Thanks, i agree speed is not the priority(we have 2 windsurfers for that fix and have sailed a Farr 1020 for years) oh and also owned a Porsche 993 turbo ! Comfort ,light,safety,resale,and Not a tank are the main requirements.Will look at the st,Francis.We Know it is a different beast to a monohull hence we have moved to a cat
Old 27-09-2009, 07:25   #27

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Sunbathing area on the aft could be great for coastal cruising, but it's dangereous on passages, to say the least.
The bridge deck clearance which is normally very good in FP's, seems to be the quite low, in proportion to her size.
Lastly, from ergonometric point of view, it's a disaster; if you move in rush in the boat in case of emergency, you will definately hit somewhere or even stumble.
I don't think that the sunbathing deck on the davit was meant for use on passages. It is however an excellent spot for some semi-rigid solar panels.

As for the stumbling, surely you're not referring moving from the cockpit to into the salon? There's nothing to trip over. The rest of the deck? There's not really any more clutter than any other cat.

Just curious.

-mp
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 07:31   #28

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Don't know what the budget is but you should check out the St. Francis.. I was really impressed with them at at the Miami boat show... out of my budget, but a Great CAT... Don't know how much time you will be spending moving between places...but my guess is not nearly as much time as you will be spending at those places... so to me comfort trumps speed...if I need to get out of a storms path I will fire up the engines... otherwise, 4-5 knts is just fine for fishing and the morning coffee... so the Lagoon 420 is my choice so far but I do like the FPs...

Cheers
Cook is right, you'll more than likely be sitting on the hook more than you will be hopping around. We're looking at the Salina and Lagoon 500 (there's 6 of us not counting any extra guests and crew that decide to show up ). I spoke with a couple of cruisers who made the pacific jump not too long ago. There was a Salina & an L-500 and the Lagoon was just a tad faster. Although I don't think they were nearly as loaded down as the FP.
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 11:17   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Twowheel,

I think we agree that the sunbathing deck is not meant for use on passage. The trouble is you cannot remove it which means it's risky for offshore sailing. Otherwise, I've already told it's fabuleous for on shore trips..

When you are sitting on the helm station of Salina, just count how many moves you have to make to reach the cockpit: stand up, one step down forward, turn right, one step down, make two steps forward, two steps down, you are in the cocpit.
In Orana ; stand up, turn left, two steps down , you are in the cockpit.

I don't know how much this does matter for you but for me, it really does..

To conclude, we have on our fleet almost every kind of FP (Fidji, Athena, Orana, Salina, Bahia, Tobago, Belize) I've done my test today with Bahia which was the last one. Salina is by far the slowest..
As I said, we are chartering all of them and there is no reason for being subjective. If you are not really interested with "decent" sailing, if you don't plan to sail offshore often and don't mind other problems, it may well be yr boat. I strongly suggest however that you consider other makes as well for the money you plan to spend.

Cheers

Yeloya
Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 18:48   #30

OK,this is where we are at;Privillage,could be too old and the position of the cabins seem to leave little distance between the top and bed,the Fusion also has this "coffin' feel.The St Francis don't make a 40 .Maverick 40 seems to have huge saloon but small cockpit seating area. FP Lipari,head room,helm position and the "crawling into your hole" at night cabin feel are hard to live with as we had this feel on our mono.So far this leaves us with a possibly cheap feeling of the new Lagoon 400 as our option,this may be the compromise? By the way Galley has to be up.AS we are in NZ with little to see we are doing it by process of ellimination.Hence the feedback from people who can see the range of 40s is very valuable .Thanks

Tags
privilege