Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-03-2024, 14:57   #1

First boat?

Hi,

I'm contemplating buying my first boat, and am considering the aventura 37 and nautitech open 40.

I sailed dinghies extensively as a kid, owned a laser and Hobie 16 and a couple of others. Have crewed a couple of times on larger monos for a week or two at a time, but have very limited experience on anything over 20 foot.

My heart is set on a cat. That said, there is part of me thinking it would be wiser to buy a cheaper used mono for a season first to get some experience.

Money's not really tight, but it sounds like I would have a hard time getting insurance on a new cat and I would definitely want that.

So, my question are.

1. Does it make sense to buy a sub $100K mono for 6-8 months to get experience?
2. Would that be enough experience to assist with getting insurance when I got a cat?
3. Are there any other 35-40ft cats I should be looking at? I want something that feels like sailing, not like a tank, has reasonable performance, that has decent salon/cockpit space and room for kitesurfing gear. Would be just 2 people. Not as concerned about berths, so narrow hulls would likely be a better option.
4. Are there any great places/times of year to find a good deal on mono I would only have a short while?

Currently in latam, so would buy anywhere between Southern USA and Panama.

Whatever I get, I'd hire an experienced skipper for the first week or two to get me up and running.
cemdev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat