Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2022, 05:23   #1

Maine Cat 38

I am researching vessels for my "retirement boat" and two have risen to the top - the Seawind 1190 and the Maine Cat 38. They are similarly priced, but the logistics of the Seawind being manufactured in Vietnam adds a significant cost. I have been on the 1160 and it appears to fit our needs and more, but I have not been on a Maine Cat 38 and am looking for input. I know at least one member has a Maine Cat 38. We want to cruise the keys, Bahamas, and Caribbean during non-hurricane season and keep the vessel near home (East Central Florida) otherwise, so consider this a live-aboard scenario.
* I know that she is designed to be single-handed, but how well are the lines laid out for control from the cockpit?
* How do you have your A/C configured? We think one small unit in both hulls will be adequate and more efficient. Not sure the bridgedeck is worthwhile or even capable of cooling. It appears that as long as there is a breeze that the windows will allow plenty of airflow.
* When aboard for extended periods, do you leave the sliding port and starboard doors open? With the doors closed, is there adequate room to socialize and relax or is it cramped. My assumption is that the bridgedeck/cockpit is the primary location for chilling out.
* What size outboards do you have and how do they handle when docking? Can you spin her in place? Can they handle a decent headwind? Do they cavitate in heavy seas?
* How does she sail? For her size, the MC38 is very light, so I would assume she has speed. How does she handle being close hauled? Does she hobby horse much? The 1160 that we were on seemed to handle moderate waves better than a Leopard 42, which I attribute to less weight.
* Have you had any manufacturing issues with your MC38?

I apologize for the laundry list of items, but the MC38 is relatively rare and there is not much info out there. We hope to have an opportunity later in the year to evaluate the first launch of the MC38 by Gulf Shore Cats.

BTW, we have a Gemini 3000 now and have had it for 13 years.

Regards,

Jeff
S/V Knot II Shabby
malabarmcgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:07   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Maine Cat 38

I went on an MC38 but didn't get to sail her. I like it especially the totally sheltered salon/helm/cockpit. The only drawback is the single head which is in the owners hull. Putting a porta potty in the other side was the compromise.

I have heard about the resurrection on that boat but can't find anything on the new company. Any links or details?
Old 06-04-2022, 13:52   #3

Gulf Shore Catamarans out of Ohio is making the MC38 now. Website is gscats.com. They also have a Facebook page for Gulf Shore Catamaran.
Old 06-04-2022, 14:57   #4

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

If Brent doesn't chime in, drop him a note, he's got an MC38 in VA w/ AC. I sold my MC 38 last fall to upgrade to the Seawind 1370. To some of your quetsions:
  • I know that she is designed to be single-handed, but how well are the lines laid out for control from the cockpit? I single handed all the time. Super easy other than docking side tie upwind. Self tacking jib. Mainsheet/travel controls at the aft end of the cockpit. Code 0 controls there as well. I often sailed with my autopilot remote. No need to leave the cockpit other than docking. (I had a remote anchor windlass switch).
  • How do you have your A/C configured? We think one small unit in both hulls will be adequate and more efficient. Not sure the bridgedeck is worthwhile or even capable of cooling. It appears that as long as there is a breeze that the windows will allow plenty of airflow. : I didn't have AC, but spend almost a month in the Bahamas before bringing her home to Seattle. The front windows are great, act like a thermostat, too hot, open them, too cold, close them. You'll need a thermal blanket/tarp to protect from the strong sun in the afternoon, just string it up to block the direct sun and you are good.
  • When aboard for extended periods, do you leave the sliding port and starboard doors open? With the doors closed, is there adequate room to socialize and relax or is it cramped. My assumption is that the bridgedeck/cockpit is the primary location for chilling out. Not sure I understand the question, what sliding doors are you talking about. There are companion way boards that I always left out. We were always on the bridge deck unless cooking, sleeping, or using the head. Lots and lots of space on the bridgedeck.
  • What size outboards do you have and how do they handle when docking? Can you spin her in place? Can they handle a decent headwind? Do they cavitate in heavy seas? I had the yamaha T9.9. I changed from the 7.5" to 5.75" pitch props, improved the top end by .75 knots. Hull #2 had Honda 15hps. If I had it to do over I'd get the Suzuki EFI 9.9 x-long shaft, by swapping 3 parts you can upgrade it to 20 hp. With the 9.9 you can handle 30 knots on the nose. Occasional ventalization on one engine, but not really bad.
  • How does she sail? For her size, the MC38 is very light, so I would assume she has speed. How does she handle being close hauled?: Sails great. With a code 0 on a beam reach I've done 4.5 knots in 5 knots of wind. Surfing down wind I've had her to 15 knots. Since she is so light, so accelerates fast, but also slows down fast at the bottom of the wave, very very different than surfing a big mono offshore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabarmcgyver View Post
I am researching vessels for my "retirement boat" and two have risen to the top - the Seawind 1190 and the Maine Cat 38. They are similarly priced, but the logistics of the Seawind being manufactured in Vietnam adds a significant cost. I have been on the 1160 and it appears to fit our needs and more, but I have not been on a Maine Cat 38 and am looking for input. I know at least one member has a Maine Cat 38. We want to cruise the keys, Bahamas, and Caribbean during non-hurricane season and keep the vessel near home (East Central Florida) otherwise, so consider this a live-aboard scenario.
* I know that she is designed to be single-handed, but how well are the lines laid out for control from the cockpit?
* How do you have your A/C configured? We think one small unit in both hulls will be adequate and more efficient. Not sure the bridgedeck is worthwhile or even capable of cooling. It appears that as long as there is a breeze that the windows will allow plenty of airflow.
* When aboard for extended periods, do you leave the sliding port and starboard doors open? With the doors closed, is there adequate room to socialize and relax or is it cramped. My assumption is that the bridgedeck/cockpit is the primary location for chilling out.
* What size outboards do you have and how do they handle when docking? Can you spin her in place? Can they handle a decent headwind? Do they cavitate in heavy seas?
* How does she sail? For her size, the MC38 is very light, so I would assume she has speed. How does she handle being close hauled? Does she hobby horse much? The 1160 that we were on seemed to handle moderate waves better than a Leopard 42, which I attribute to less weight.
* Have you had any manufacturing issues with your MC38?

I apologize for the laundry list of items, but the MC38 is relatively rare and there is not much info out there. We hope to have an opportunity later in the year to evaluate the first launch of the MC38 by Gulf Shore Cats.

BTW, we have a Gemini 3000 now and have had it for 13 years.

Regards,

Jeff
S/V Knot II Shabby
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 15:03   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I have no experience on either of these boats, but they were both influential in my decision to build the Catamaran that I did build. These are some examples of very good sailing catamarans. Significantly better than a lot of other production Catamarans in the size range. They also have unique design and engineering ideas that are brilliant. So, just one more vote that you are headed in the right direction. These are fine boats.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 15:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
If Brent doesn't chime in, drop him a note, he's got an MC38 in VA w/ AC. I sold my MC 38 last fall to upgrade to the Seawind 1370. To some of your quetsions:
  • I know that she is designed to be single-handed, but how well are the lines laid out for control from the cockpit? I single handed all the time. Super easy other than docking side tie upwind. Self tacking jib. Mainsheet/travel controls at the aft end of the cockpit. Code 0 controls there as well. I often sailed with my autopilot remote. No need to leave the cockpit other than docking. (I had a remote anchor windlass switch).
  • How do you have your A/C configured? We think one small unit in both hulls will be adequate and more efficient. Not sure the bridgedeck is worthwhile or even capable of cooling. It appears that as long as there is a breeze that the windows will allow plenty of airflow. : I didn't have AC, but spend almost a month in the Bahamas before bringing her home to Seattle. The front windows are great, act like a thermostat, too hot, open them, too cold, close them. You'll need a thermal blanket/tarp to protect from the strong sun in the afternoon, just string it up to block the direct sun and you are good.
  • When aboard for extended periods, do you leave the sliding port and starboard doors open? With the doors closed, is there adequate room to socialize and relax or is it cramped. My assumption is that the bridgedeck/cockpit is the primary location for chilling out. Not sure I understand the question, what sliding doors are you talking about. There are companion way boards that I always left out. We were always on the bridge deck unless cooking, sleeping, or using the head. Lots and lots of space on the bridgedeck.
  • What size outboards do you have and how do they handle when docking? Can you spin her in place? Can they handle a decent headwind? Do they cavitate in heavy seas? I had the yamaha T9.9. I changed from the 7.5" to 5.75" pitch props, improved the top end by .75 knots. Hull #2 had Honda 15hps. If I had it to do over I'd get the Suzuki EFI 9.9 x-long shaft, by swapping 3 parts you can upgrade it to 20 hp. With the 9.9 you can handle 30 knots on the nose. Occasional ventalization on one engine, but not really bad.
  • How does she sail? For her size, the MC38 is very light, so I would assume she has speed. How does she handle being close hauled?: Sails great. With a code 0 on a beam reach I've done 4.5 knots in 5 knots of wind. Surfing down wind I've had her to 15 knots. Since she is so light, so accelerates fast, but also slows down fast at the bottom of the wave, very very different than surfing a big mono offshore.
Not that I can buy a MC38 anytime soon, but I wonder if the steering is cable steering or some sort of power steering.

With either Seawind or Mainecat, have you ever needed an AC? Seems as if both have amazing ventilation.

From the Mainecat site: "Open bridgedeck – better visibility, better looking and great air flow."

I read about 1160s passing oceans; I might be wrong, but isn't that how they are delivered here? Do people do that on MC38s? (A total newbie paragraph here.)
Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 15:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabarmcgyver View Post
Gulf Shore Catamarans out of Ohio is making the MC38 now. Website is gscats.com. They also have a Facebook page for Gulf Shore Catamaran.
I've noticed that too. Gulf Shore Catamarans built the MC38, but the Mainecat website is still up with 30, 38 and 41 models showing up. So, are 30 and 41 still around? At least, 38 must still be in production.
Old 06-04-2022, 15:50   #8

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...wn-250627.html
Old 07-04-2022, 03:36   #9

I'm not on Fbook. Are there any details there on where exactly the new MC38 is made? Their area code indicates SW Ohio. Is the factory on a river and how do they rig it assuming that one would have to go down the Mississippi or up to the great lakes? Or are they all going to be a modular kit so they can be trucked?
Old 07-04-2022, 06:56   #10

Jim Oren, of Gulf Shore Catamaran, is now producing the Maine Cat 38. Their factory is near Springfield, Ohio. I posed some of the questions raised here to him and he responded immediately. The vessel is designed to be trucked modularly and modular kits, pieces, and parts will be available for people that want to build at their own pace. The steering components may be optional in that it is possible to choose cable, rack and pinion, or hydraulic. Since three different types of rudder systems are available - fixed, kick-up, or retractable, the type of steering may be somewhat dependent upon the rudder system.

I, personally, like the retractable option as it is what I have been accustomed to with the Gem 3000. If I can get the Admiral onboard, both literally and figuratively, I am pretty sure this will be our next vessel.

I am also strongly considering a pair of Elco 20 electric outboards with solar panels over every square inch possible.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:29   #11

BTW, I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube for S/V Allelu and they are very impressive. It is a MC38.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite View Post
Not that I can buy a MC38 anytime soon, but I wonder if the steering is cable steering or some sort of power steering.
Mine was cable steering, very light touch, finger tip steering.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:19   #13

Mark gave me a tour of his MC38 some years back. Thanks again. So, which SW1370 hull number are you? Or is that privileged information? Oops thread drift.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:07   #14

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I hope I am not to late to the party. We own a Maine Cat 38, as Mark mentioned. We sail the US East coast and Bahamas. Home port is on the Chesapeake.

Our catamaran selection journey started out exactly where you are, with the Seawind 1190 and Maine Cat both on the top of our list. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about either brand.

We sail the Maine Cat completely from the salon. While underway the only sail evolution that requires a trip to the deck is launching and retrieving our asymmetrical spinnaker, or adjusting the main outhaul. In the salon the layout is very well organized, with sheet bins to keep lines orderly.

We have AC cooling the starboard hull. We find this more than sufficient. For a boat based in south Florida I could see an AC system for each hull if people will be sleeping in both hulls at the marina. We have screen closures for all openings in the salon, and have spent many pleasant nights in the salon with a breeze blowing through. We actually use our AC more for heating when cruising the off season.

We made cloth covers for the port and starboard companionways, which are great for maintaining temperature in the hull when using the AC. We have a table on port side that converts into a bunk. It is a cozy place to socialize, very nice on a rainy day or for chatting with the cook.

We have the Yamaha high thrust 9.9s, which are fine. Maneuverability is good, but not as good as twice the hp mounted under each hull as found in larger boats. Pulling the outboards up for sailing and storage is wonderful.

We are very pleased with the sailing performance. The Maine Cat 38 will routinely embarrass other very capable boats. Pointing ability is on par with performance oriented daggerboard cats. The boat has carried us confidently in very tall ocean conditions.

Our boat is made with exquisite quality and pride of craftsmanship plainly visible.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Mark gave me a tour of his MC38 some years back. Thanks again. So, which SW1370 hull number are you? Or is that privileged information? Oops thread drift.
Happy to have done it!! One of the things I love about the Maine Cat and Seawind is the forward visibility from the entire bridgedeck while underway. Lots of different places to be, can just lift your head up and see everything going on in a few seconds. I've sailed the MC30, MC41, and Seawind 1260. I tried to buy a Seawind 1000 and MC30 years before the MC38, just couldn't find any on the west coast. All good in their own way. Used Seawind 1160s and MC41s are probably more common and both have a lot of recommend them.

I'm hull #21, guessing late spring/early summer 2024, depending on covid, supply chain, etc.

Tags
maine, maine cat