Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 08:57   #16

Boat: Catalina, 25 SK
Re: Exchange Westerbe Diesel with VW diesel

I have owned and driven VW diesels from the 80's to the newer TDI's. I don't know much about the horsepower and torque curves on the Westerbe Diesel, but I would suspect they are low RPM/high torque. The VW is a car engine that is entirely different for these values. I guess you can change the props.
Sarge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 10:40   #17

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

I'd look for a used tractor (kubota) and a water cooled manifold
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 12:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I would be more concerned about getting the VW ECU to play nice - there are so many sensors on the new TDI engines I doubt the mechanical aspect of the conversion is the problem.

For example if the ECU doesn't like the exhaust data it is seeing - it'll throw the engine into this limp mode, happened to my daughter on a road trip. She's since ditched that VW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
This would be one of my primary concerns, modern diesels have become so complex in regards to sensors that they would not be my first choice for use far away from assistance. As a for instance, a friend of mine with a Ford F-250 diesel had one of three exhaust gas temp sensors go out 15 miles down the beach from the nearest pavement. The truck was still running but not with enough power to move in the sand. He now carries in the glove box a spare sensor.
What amazes me how people discussing something they have no idea about (and unwilling to learn).
ALH TDI engine (1.9L 90hp, installed from 1999 to 2003 on NA cars) been fitted to virtually every piece of equipment, including boats and even aircraft. There're tons of aftermarket "goodies" allowing hike its power from 90hp (stock) to 200hp and even more, if needed. It's computer easily reprogrammed to any power and torque curve.
In fact, I had this engine installed in my 1995 Dodge Caravan, along with 5-speed transmission. So I was driving probably most fuel-efficient minivan in NA with fuel consumption of 6.5l/100km.
All unwanted crap on the engine gets disconnected and ECU properly reprogrammed.
There are even other ECU solutions, including ECU based on Arduino controller.
This IS the best engine for any conversion as hundreds (if not thousands) of conversions been done already, parts are readily available everywhere.
It's a little harder with newer engines, but it can be done too, if someone really wants. I have 2010 Jetta TDI (one of these affected by "dieselgate"), and I repaired all emission related problems on it. All emission crap simply blocked and/or disconnected, DPF been deleted, all related sensors, servos etc. eliminated in ECU via reprogramming. Engine runs perfectly, no check engine light. Anything else needed for conversion would be treated same way.

Education and willing to learn is key to everything.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:43   #19

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I used to do rebuilds on the older VW diesels. From my experience any VW engine that overheated needed the head resurfaced when you changed the head gasket. Once overheated it was just a matter of a few hundred miles before the head gasket blew. I would never trust a aluminum head diesel in a marine application. Maybe they are better now, I don't know about the newer ones.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 19:18   #20

Boat: Leopard 38

Sorry, I don't have time to learn what you already know, and maybe you are also smarter than me when it comes to realize my idea.
So why don't you get your b..t over here on my boat and Let's do it together.
More than ready to pay you.
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 21:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
Sorry, I don't have time to learn what you already know, and maybe you are also smarter than me when it comes to realize my idea.
So why don't you get your b..t over here on my boat and Let's do it together.
More than ready to pay you.
I more than happy to share all I know, but unfortunately I'm still tied to the hard surface.
One thing I should say - such projects can be done in two ways. One - on the budget. Learn all that stuff yourself, do most of work yourself, have only few things fabricated by someone else.
Another way - have someone to do all or most of work for you. Since it's custom project with lots of custom fabrication involved, cost might go through the roof this way, and in this case buying simple replacement for old engine (or rebuilding old one) might be better choice.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel