Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 06:15   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Engine hour meter failing

I always log my engine hours on shutdown, recently the display was blank on one engine then a couple of hours later on arrival at our home marina the other display failed, the tacho's are working fine as is everything else, I checked the wires that go into the back of the tacho there is simply a removable plug with about four wires connected, I removed the plug checking for any loose wires or corrosion etc. all seems good, also noted that when I pushed the plug back in the light inside the tacho came back on so I know power is OK although I guess the hour meter could fail even though the light is on. Here is the odd bit the following week after a short run the hour meter came good all by itself with the correct hours displayed, I was pleased that whilst the display had failed the hours are being correctly accumulated. This weekend both hour meters have failed again. In summary I feel it is a connection problem but I think the connection is OK at the tacho end, I am unsure where the hours information comes from, my engines are 40 HP Yanmar 3JH5E about 230 hours total time Lagoon 400 about 4.5 years old, I did call Yanmar here in Australia they advised it would be rare for my problem. I would be most appreciative if anyone can help, or have experienced the same problem. Thanks in advance.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Engine hour meter failing

Yep, that is a very common problem for the VDO tachs with the LCD hour meter display. The accumulated hours continue to be counted, but you can't see them.

If you search the forum, you will find a "fix" posted that requires taking the entire thing apart and cleaning a ribbon cable connection. This is a very fiddly thing to do and may not work (it did not solve the problem on one of ours, and solved it for the other, but only for a few months). It is also very easy to break it entirely, so make sure you are comfortable doing this type of work.

If you buy a new tach, you won't have the old accumulated hours and it too will fail in a few years.

My solution was to just install an independent hour meter.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From SailboatOwners
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Repair of Yanmar Tach updated.pdf (504.4 KB, 1098 views)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:10   #4

Boat: 55' sloop.

One of the reasons newer is not necessarily better. Mechanical dial hourcounters don't do this. I actually don't understand the benefit of having one with an LCD readout?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
One of the reasons newer is not necessarily better. Mechanical dial hourcounters don't do this. I actually don't understand the benefit of having one with an LCD readout?
I don't either - particularly since the hours only show when the engine is running.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:17   #6

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't either - particularly since the hours only show when the engine is running.

Mark
Oh… Well, that's a bugger. And kinda pointless. Reminds me of a fellow comm skip who was stuck for a month at the Cat Club in Antigua when the brand new 70 footer he was tasked with had a glitch… it appeared that some bright spark had decided that the engine throttle/gear control needed to be wireless, despite being mounted in the conventional position directly over the engine room in easy morse cable distance. So… it just stopped talking to the clutch. Stopped them dead for a month until a new unit could be flown out and installed.

Useful as a chocolate fireguard.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:27   #7

On my Yanmar 2YM15 the ground to the hour meter and tach comes from the sail drive. I know because when I decided to bypass the wiring shroud rather than try to isolate wiring issues at the connectors, I assumed the sail drive wires were out of play and cut them... Wrong again...

Anyway, if your engine has wiring for the sail drive check the integrity of the wire and connections before dismantling your Tach.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01   #8

Boat: Cadtana 431

Easiest and best thing to do is get mechanical ones to replace the LCD ones. They work.
-Steve
sailsw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:32   #9

This must be inherent in VDO Tachs with the LCD display. I have two Tachs and one displays hours and the other takes long naps. Of course now the hour meters are not in synch. Was going to have it repaired in Fort Lauderdale and the VDO repair facility quoted $190. When I asked what a new one costs, I could only imagine the look on his face when he told me $180. Guess walking upstairs to get the numbers on the other tach works for now.
What brand of mechanical counter did you get anyway?
Fastmover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:47   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I always log my engine hours on shutdown, recently the display was blank on one engine then a couple of hours later on arrival at our home marina the other display failed, the tacho's are working fine as is everything else, I checked the wires that go into the back of the tacho there is simply a removable plug with about four wires connected, I removed the plug checking for any loose wires or corrosion etc. all seems good, also noted that when I pushed the plug back in the light inside the tacho came back on so I know power is OK although I guess the hour meter could fail even though the light is on. Here is the odd bit the following week after a short run the hour meter came good all by itself with the correct hours displayed, I was pleased that whilst the display had failed the hours are being correctly accumulated. This weekend both hour meters have failed again. In summary I feel it is a connection problem but I think the connection is OK at the tacho end, I am unsure where the hours information comes from, my engines are 40 HP Yanmar 3JH5E about 230 hours total time Lagoon 400 about 4.5 years old, I did call Yanmar here in Australia they advised it would be rare for my problem. I would be most appreciative if anyone can help, or have experienced the same problem. Thanks in advance.
Regards Peter
Just for shits and giggles. Are the LCD displays in direct sun light? That can cause them to go blank. You may be chasing a ghost with nothing wrong.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:13   #11

Good idea but no. Tach is in Pilothouse where the heat and AC are. Nicely shaded. Actually the one that works is on the bridge where the sun is.
I did note the new VDO Tachs have programmable engine hours so you can make them read whatever you want them to. Will fix it when the other one dies.
Fastmover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmover2 View Post
I did note the new VDO Tachs have programmable engine hours so you can make them read whatever you want them to.
Always a useful feature when selling!!!

Alsdo totally illegal in automobiles here in the US.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:38   #13

Quote:
Good idea but no. Tach is in Pilothouse where the heat and AC are. Nicely shaded. Actually the one that works is on the bridge where the sun is.
I did note the new VDO Tachs have programmable engine hours so you can make them read whatever you want them to. Will fix it when the other one dies.
Sorry, it was a thought. Hoped it was right. The ones that go click, click fail also.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45   #14

Quote:
I did note the new VDO Tachs have programmable engine hours so you can make them read whatever you want them to.
I just bought a new VDO tach and it doesn't have this ability. Maybe only certain models do?

They all have programmability for number of alternator poles, number of cylinders, etc - and have rpm adjustment, but I haven't heard of programmable hours before.

Mark

Old 07-06-2015, 12:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Always a useful feature when selling!!!

Alsdo totally illegal in automobiles here in the US.
I feel his intent was to set new ones to elapsed hours the old ones read, with that feature.

Tags
engine